iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Picnic table --joint effort

Started by Banjo picker, April 05, 2012, 12:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

This is the table my wife got plans for many years ago...I been putting it off....

Taylor gave me a big white oak log that he had, and Chris sawed it up on the Cooks while he was here...I put it together...such as it is...

It took a while to put it together...

It had some metal in it as you can see from the stain, and some spalting, which my wife loved...guess she don't know thats a defect.  She put the finish on it....it sets pretty good....Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

SwampDonkey

Looks really nice. I can see why it would be awhile assembling with all the drilling and cutting. The wife finally got her table.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

That design is about as efficiently as you can seat 8 people.  That is a super nice table.  You did a great job with it!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Invite family and friends to try out your fine looking table.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Warbird

I bet a few of those angles were interesting to figure out.  It looks good.

sparky1

very nice lookign table!! do you have a set of plans to share with us??
Shaun J

Bill Gaiche

Very nice strong table. Good job. bg

Axe Handle Hound

Now that's a really nice table.  How many guys did you have help you move it? 

scsmith42

Quote from: sparky1 on April 06, 2012, 09:39:36 AM
very nice lookign table!! do you have a set of plans to share with us??

+ 1, I wouldn't mind having a set of plans myself.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Den Socling

I like it! Glad it's White Oak. It should be enjoyed for many years.

WDH

OK, so where are the plans  ???  We may have to come to Mississippi and steal them when you are distracted by work  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Banjo picker

Ok....The plans are from:The Winfield Collection ..Their web site is www.thewinfieldcollection.com ....it says they are out of Fenton, Mi...(The plan # is YF16)...Deb got the hardware kit to make it out of...If you are going to use a material like the white oak I would by the fasteners locally so I could up grade the size of the screws from a # 8 to a #10...I snapped a few off...

And as to the moving of it...I used the forks on the tractor to move it into the back yard before I put the benches on .....It is super heavy...I also upgraded the bench supports that run under the table from a 2 x 4 to a 2 x 6...You can see the dif. if you look at my table and the pic. of the one in the add..

Thanks for the compliments...sorry to keep you waiting...Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

jamesamd

Thats SWEET,BP!
I thinkan octagon table,would have been nice but thats just Me.
I can't help Myself,I just have to make changes :D
Enjoy it!!
Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

T Welsh

Banjo picker, Very nice! One question? How did you move it. with a fork lift :D
That has to weigh a couple of hundred pounds. one thing ,you wont have to worry about it blowing away in a wind storm. Great job! Tim

Magicman

Very nice Tim.  The way it is designed, it won't be flipping over when someone gets up from the other side.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Banjo picker

I moved it with the forks on the tractor before I put the benches on it...It is very stable and sets  good ....As to the weight it has 14- 2 x 6 x10...8- 2 x 4 x 8...and 2- 2 x 6 x 8   thats right at 199 bf...and according to the little red box that weighs 1034 lbs...there is not a lot of waste on the cut outs so I figure it will tip the scales at 8 or 9 hundred lbs...easy.....When I was putting it together one of my sons came by and just got a hold of one of the corners and was gona pick it up...with one hand....didn't happen...Only thing left to do is drill a hole in the middle for the umbrella...with a forstener bit...Banjo

fishpharmer

Quote from: Magicman on April 15, 2012, 09:42:22 PM
  The way it is designed, it won't be flipping over when someone gets up from the other side.   :D

Now, thats my kind of picnic table.  Might have to test it in person ;).

Great work Tim! 8)

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

sandhills

That's very nice, just don't let my wife see it!  It almost reminds me of the pool table or the old International deep freezer you leave in the basement when you move out so you don't have to carry 'em  ;).

Banjo picker

James let me know when you are up this way and we'll try it out....As much trouble as that was to build I believe I would have to find a way to take it with me.. :)  but I don't plan on going anywhere...Banjo

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: WDH on April 06, 2012, 09:18:36 PM
OK, so where are the plans  ???  We may have to come to Mississippi and steal them when you are distracted by work  ;D.

Be sure to swing by McComb on your way :)

That's a great picnic table, banjopicker. White oak was a perfect choice!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Al_Smith

Nice but now let me tell you something .Those are generic plans ,effective to a point .

Some engineer at work contracted a local vocational school to build 40 or 50 of them .They were fine except for one little problem .The back rests would work themselves loose even double bolted as is that one .

That problem has been rectified by having the shop millwrights fabricate steel supports for the back rests which has proven to work out real well .Other than that little thing they work great

Banjo picker

They won't work loose unless the glue don't hold...The bolts could probably be taken out if I so choose. ;)  Banjo

Al_Smith

Well I hope not too just saying what did happen .Then on the other hand it's unlikley you'll have 250 pound pipefitters leaning back on them either or about the same sized factory honeys .

Banjo picker

I got 7 years out of the table, but the top was getting a little ratty, so we took it off and I  :( bought two pressure treated 2 x 4 s  :-\ :'( and replace the top with plywood.  I had to plywood from my construction days, but I sure hated to buy those two bys.  Then Deb painted it.

Al I got two back rests that are loose, but it has been 7 years you know. 

Problem areas were mainly because I used a few boards that had some sap wood on them.  I will have to replace a couple of the back rests boards when I get a chance, but no rush. Thankfully the main supports were cut out of heart wood and they are still in good shape.

Here it is with the old top removed and Deb taking a rest.

Here it is with its new top and paint.  Check out that raised bed garden against the fence.  Putting those old curb forms to good use, as I plan to never pour any more curb and gutter.  Got 10 Natchez thornless blackberrys in there most are up to the second set of wires and the old growth as a few berrys on them for this year.  They should be pretty well next year in that composted horse manure.  Got some raspberrys out front of the raised bed.  Wife wasn't too happy about them being planted there, but its my yard too and I do the mowing now.  Thought I would up date this old thread.  

If you notice that table has not been moved one I o ta.  Banjo

SwampDonkey

Nice job of the table repairs.

Also nice to gleam some fruit off the various canes and trees when in season. I've been working on getting part of the yard into fruit production. Raspberry, black berry, grape, wild plum, apples, rhubarb. Just stuff for a taste. :)

Have a good one. 78F here today and a little breeze enough to make the wind chimes move. Going down onto the porch for a nap. 8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

rubberfish

I would have a really tough time with all those angles.
Not that I couldn't pull it off, but I'm already 53 yrs old.  :D

BP you and your buds did a great job on this project.  ;D
You wouldn't want to whip up a couple of pre-fab kits eh?
Confucius says "He who stands with hands in pocket is feeling cocky"
Bob

Banjo picker

Thanks SwampDonkey and rubberfish.  No way on the pre-fab kits.  I think that would have made me 55 when I built it as I am now 63, but I had plans to go by.  Shipping would have been a killer on pre-fab kits as the origional weighed in at over 800 lbs.  

I have really been enjoying working with my vines and berrys.  I have 6 muscadine vines that I planted last oct. was a year ago on the other side of the back yard and all have some little clusters, but three of them are loaded.  So much so that I wonder if I shouldn't snip some of them off on the yound vines.  Banjo

Thank You Sponsors!