iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Physics in action! (aka "ouch" but not as bad as it could be)

Started by Okrafarmer, April 04, 2012, 09:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

Well I was driving along today going to visit somebody to see about having some lumber planed (had lost their phone number when Verizon fumbled my phone)  >:(  and I was minding my own business and not even talking on the phone or anything like that when the traffic ahead of me slowed because somebody was turning. So I also slowed, stepped on brake, and had no trouble staying away from the Mercedes in front of me, when "POW" I got bulldozed from behind. I was surprised but somehow did not panic and was able to use my brakes to again keep from impacting the Mercedes.  smiley_dizzy Thankfully I did not impact the gilded auto, but I had really been sent flying like a ping pong ball. I pulled off into the next available parking lot, and the vehicle that hit me did too. It was a lady who looked like she was probably struggling financially as I was, and I wanted to just let it go, but I had gotten some serious whiplash and of course the truck was not mine but my boss's so I called the police. I told the lady I was not upset, but I needed to call the police anyway.

So the officer came. I stepped out and headed him off at the pass, I said "I know it looks like I'm the one that rear-ended her, but this damage is old!" pointing to my grill-less front end with bent bumper. An old accident my boss had. The cop wrote her out the ticket, and gave me a statement to keep. The damage to the Tacoma I was driving was minimal (look for the "fresh" dents in the bumper) but I could tell my neck, and increasingly, my back, were in trouble. By the time I was able to leave, it was close to closing time, but the doctor squeezed me in. Looks like I'll be having some chiropractic time in my future.

Anyway-- Tacomas forever, people. Dents are trophies. I had to check the bumper closely to see where she had hit me, it wasn't super obvious. 348,000 miles and counting.

Just a reminder to wear your seatbelt, which doubtless saved me from worse injuries, pay attention when you're driving, and leave plenty of room ahead of you to stop if you have to. I'm just glad it wasn't worse than it was.  :-\
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Clam77

Glad you're ok farmer- whiplash can be serious.

Same exact scenario happened to me too about a year and a half ago.  Difference being the guy that hit me was probably going full highway speed (55mph, most probably closer to 65), and talking on his cell phone.  He had a small Chevy SUV that had enough kenetic energy to slide my 7000+ lb dodge truck into the Chevy truck probably 10-15ft in front of me.  Tiny dent in my front bumper from the Chevy's trailor hitch.. my rear bumper/tailgate/bed screwed up beyond repair.. his engine displaced into his passenger seat courtesy of MY trailor hitch.. 

Just as you had - the seatbelts saved us from bouncing around.  I never talked to the guy that hit us but he had a bloody face from his airbag and everything else he hit..
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

SPIKER

My GF has been rear ended several times...   

Last one she was at red light in her 93 T-Bird (circa 2000,) and drunk driver plowed her at 55+ in a mid80s Pontiac Grand Prix.   The GP was one of those with the bumper that swooped down & out.   It went under the stopped t-bird impacting the IRS pushed it (trunk floor too) up almost touching the rear package tray.   drunk woman dead beat with 7 DUIs in Ohio and 6 in FLA was her 8th accident.   My woman has had bad neck issues since then...   the drunk didnt even serve any time was back driving w different car following week...      I have ALMOST been rear ended a couple times once by a skidding cop in TX ice storm...   Had to move out of his careening way lol..

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Okrafarmer

Oh, boy, don't get me started about cops on ice. I'll end up in the woodshed.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

samandothers

Glad you are ok or relatively.  I hope the Doc can help the neck and back. 

Okrafarmer

Yep. Dull achy back all day today. I didn't do any heavy lifting, just ran some errands and such.

Onthesauk

Old friend got rear ended twice in one year.  Both times, attorneys, both times talking on their cell phone.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

doctorb

Whiplash is real, and can take a long time to resolve.  If a law suit is involved, it takes longer.  No, that's not a joke, it's a fact.  These injuries are real.  If you blame someone for causing them, something in our human nature won't let your neck fully improve until the lawsuit is settled.  It's been published countless times regarding many different injuries.  Okra- I hope you feel better and I hope the legal process doesn't hold up the medical process.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Okra.....take some time off and come on down and hang around the mill.  8)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on April 05, 2012, 10:56:23 PM
Okra.....take some time off and come on down and hang around the mill.  8)

I would so love to, but-- I took today off to rest up and take it easy, and I don't see how I can afford to miss any more work.  :-\ Got some plans for Saturday, I think, or I'd see if I could come up then. I think you're about two hours away.

Thank You Sponsors!