iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl model ??

Started by bigbore, April 04, 2012, 08:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbore

Hi i'm trying to get some info on a saw i'v had about eighteen years and it wasnt new then. I spent hours trying to get the model from varrious websites but could only narrow it to four models they are 041av,050av,075av,076av. the serial number is 9318613 and a number on the underside of the air filter cover is 911111410502. the bed is apx. 30 in.
I hav'nt used this saw for ten years as i now have a 023 but am looking to get some history on this beast.
any help would be great.

beenthere

Welcome to the forum
How about a picture of the "beast" ? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

AdkStihl

STIHL PN# 1111 141 0502  = Air Filter Cleaner Cover for models 075 & 076.
So its one of those two. Got pics?
J.Miller Photography

bigbore

Thank's for the welcome.
    I'll try to put up some pics.

bigbore

Took some pic's but can't get them on.(must be an age thing)
What changes are there between the 050,075,076AV's.
  Thanks
Still learning i was only meant to put up one image, sorry.

bigbore

Looks like you guys were right smiley_thumbsup(new i was in the right place)
anyway after looking back through lots of posts there was a link to a site with details and some pics. I'm now sure its a 075AV the engine has decompressor valve and the air filter is nylon.It also has a slide lever on one side which if my memory serves me well  is for chain oil +/-.
I hav'nt tried to run the beast yet as i need to drain fuel , replace plug and fit new filter ect ect but will let you know how i get on.

bigbore

Hav'nt managed to get the beast going yet. plenty of compresion plenty of fuel reaching plug. Spark could be stronger i think.
Is there a way of telling if spark is good enough. i'm not to bad with spanners but electrics are not my thing.
Thanks for the help so far.

lumberjack48

Sounds like you have it flooded, pull the plug out, get a match or lighter, pull the starter rope real slow, holding a match in or right by the spark plug hole. It will go woofff, do this until its cleaned out, put the plug back in, should fire the first pull.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

bigbore

Pulled the plug out and cleared cylinder a few times and got nowhere, it gives the odd splutter but thats all.
got the carb of stripped down and covered in cleaner for the night,lookes like a carb kit is next if i can find one to fit.Its a walbro with numbers WS1 on one side 1-76 on the other and 63379  48 on another, can anyone tell which numbers to use when looking for the carb kit.

AdkStihl

Quote from: lumberjack48 on April 09, 2012, 06:58:37 PM
Sounds like you have it flooded, pull the plug out, get a match or lighter, pull the starter rope real slow, holding a match in or right by the spark plug hole. It will go woofff, do this until its cleaned out, put the plug back in, should fire the first pull.

Thats the funniest thing I've read all week  :D
J.Miller Photography

AdkStihl

Quote from: bigbore on April 10, 2012, 07:28:14 PM
Pulled the plug out and cleared cylinder a few times and got nowhere, it gives the odd splutter but thats all.
got the carb of stripped down and covered in cleaner for the night,lookes like a carb kit is next if i can find one to fit.Its a walbro with numbers WS1 on one side 1-76 on the other and 63379  48 on another, can anyone tell which numbers to use when looking for the carb kit.

Given the saws age, I would give the carb a good cleaning and a fresh rebuild kit to start with. Next I would change the fuel line and filter. The older black rubber (buna) is not very ethanol friendly and will turn gooey and are prone to collapse.
If youre struggling with weak spark, check plug gap and/or replace plug. You may need to also file/sand the points. Good luck.
J.Miller Photography

markd

All the rubber lines and intake boot should be looked at, they just get old and crack and they cant suck fuel when they leak air. That saw looks exactly like my old 076. Bout the only thing I've ever replaced on those carbs is the diapram, you can tell by looking at it if it's all stretched out
markd

bigbore

Fuel lines and filter all good, just put a full kit on the carb as diaphrams did'nt look to good also new plug - - - still no joy.
lots of fuel getting to plug.
Just took of the coil? to check the gap beetween it an flywheel and noticed it has a tie wrap round the HT lead which was done before i had it and that's18 years so maybe the fault is electrical after all.
Could anyone tell me where the two thin cables that go from coil into the main caseing go to and if there is something in there that need checking.

As i said in a previous post i still think the spark is week.

I don.nt realy know what i'm talking about whith regard to  models but some guy on the net said the only differance between the 075 & and 076 is the75 has the oil filler on the top and 076 it's on the side

markd

I can't remember the wires you're speaking of could they be for the kill switch maybe? I'm pretty sure my 076 had a top oil filler. That saw was a brute for power It was a great saw for cuttin old growth white oak. But as I recall I was always working on it so I traded it off. I know you said you had good compression but if you're not sure pull off the muffler and look at the piston wall for scoring, that's a killer. Fun ain't it? Markd
markd

bigbore

Kill switch wire runs from top of coil under the handle to the switch.
It's at least ten years when this was last used but never missed a beat.
I stopped useing the "beast"when i was offered a clean 023 which as you know is a lot smaller and the "beast" has been under the bench all these years.
It's a great project and i'm looking forward to one day soon awakening "The Beast" (with help from you guys of coarse). 8)

mad murdock

I've got an 075 I picked up recently, an old Weyco company saw.  Mine needs a carb kit and a spark plug lead. If your spark is weak, you may need a lead as well, you can unscrew the lead from the coil and put a new one on. The 075 can pull up to a 50" bar.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

bigbore

Thanks for that Mad Murdock, I will get a new plug lead.It looks like i will have to take the flywheel off to see where the two wires that come from the coil and go behind the flywheel end up.  If theres a part that they connect to it may be at fault. what will i find behind there?.
Regarding the carb kit i fitted the old diaphram had a groove in the steel centre part but the new one's steel centre was shorter and did not have a groove, all other bits were the same is this ok?? ???

mad murdock

I haven't got to kitting my carb yet, so not having seen it, I can't offer any useful info on that question. I have had my tank/side cover off, and it is easy to access all the electrical with that off.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

bigbore

Allready had the tank off but the two wires go behind the flywheel and try as i may it won't come off. smiley_crying

sawguy21

A special puller was available to screw into the flywheel to pop it loose. Pretty hard to do without it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

I do not have an IPL for the 075 .I do for the 076 though .

The 076 shows two types of "trigger plates " which are a solid state device that take the place of ignition points .The same coil number is used for both types .

I'm not certain exactly what type of design the 075 uses .

Now a flywhell puller is simpley a metric pipe fitting sized bushing with a internal screw .Basically two sizes .Smaller for like 026 to 066 and larger for 084 sizes .I'm thinking like 22 mm and 26MM but I'm not exactly certain although I've made about twenty of the smaller sizes .

If you search the net they make a universal size with both thread sizes used to service mo-peds which are reasonabley priced  providing you can find one .

bigbore

Thanks Sawguy 21,tried a couple of pullers today and gave up with still no joy.
Looked at the threaded section in the centre and came to the conclusion as you say to make a puller that goes in there, or maybe i'll just put it back together and sent it to the shop...oh joy.

bigbore

Hi Al
  Not sure what a trigger plate is? but when you look through the holes in the flywheel theres a black plastic unit round the crankshaft that has numbers 1120006 & 4/20.These numbers are hard to see so i hope they are right.
Thanks for all the help so far.... we may crack this yet 8)

Al_Smith

I looked up the IPL's on the 045-051-076 and found nothing with those numbers .I do not have the IPL's for the 056 or 075 which also have internal ignition coils so I'm just as lost as you as to what model it is .

A trigger unit basically determines when the magnitude of the current passing through the ignition coil is at it's max amplitude electronically  and fires the coil much the same as a set of ignition points would do . In other words it's an electronic switch for want of another word .

Modern saws have a device such as this internally built into the ignition coil .This saw was made during the transitional period of going from points to solid state .

bigbore

Cheers for that Al, i think i have located a puller about 20 miles from me but the store is closed for holliday.
With regard to the ipl's you have for the 076 it should be the same as the 075 only the oil filler cap is not in the same place(according to a guy showing one on youtube).

Thank You Sponsors!