iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black Walnut

Started by Migal, April 04, 2012, 01:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Migal

who'd of ever thunk it  8) had a guy bring some gnarly cedar from Oklahoma and one Black Walnut that kinda looked buggy under the bark man did it make nice wood all of it but one cedar that had termites in heartwood well he gave me more than half the wood and was impressed with the mill thought i might have not charged correctly so looked up that sweet and sore smell of the walnut an this is what i found dang  8) guess i will hold on to a bit and not use for studs in a wall  :-X !

walnut log price ??
4/4       
trapper1       Member

I have 44 logs I am getting bids on. All walnut. Good trees from NE Iowa limestone hills. High bid is $32,680.00 or $743.00 per.
Sound good?? Appreciate any input from you guys.
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

MHineman

Unless those are HUGE trees, there is likely a lot of veneer in them.  A friend of mine for 30 years asked a few years ago if I thought a bid a guy made on his Walnut trees was fair.  I looked at them and immediately knew they were out of my league.  I focus on small timber sales for modest cash outlay.
  The original bid was about $10K.  A consulting forester friend of mine marked the trees and marketed the sale.  There were a few of the best trees the first guy wanted that were not included in the sale, but left to grow a bit more, and several other trees that should be removed, but likely only saw lumber that were included.
  The best bid was $43K.  My understanding was the logs were being exported to Germany.
  Central Indiana has the best Walnut anywhere, and these trees were about as good as any of the buyers there had seen too.

1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

Thank You Sponsors!