iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

handeling lumber off the mill

Started by snowshoveler, April 02, 2012, 07:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowshoveler

So far on my little belsaw I have been stacking lumber right beside the mill.
This is already a pain because its only 6 inches off the ground and the mill is 2 feet off the ground.
So I have to step down with each piece of lumber.
I have been thinking of just building a big deck the same height as the carriage.
Idealy it would hold at least a days sawing maybe 2. 
I expect on a good day I should be able to saw 1500 board feet without beating myself up to bad.
Might do more might do less.
The idea is to not hurry, just enjoy myself and learn how to do things.
I use the mill on the weekend a bit and then evenings in the week I add little things that make it easier next weekend.
I am really thinking that less handling of lumber is better especially when mill is running.
Lets hear your thought on this.
Regards Chris   
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Bibbyman

Mary was a full-time sawyer before I was.  I came home from the office one evening and she had made a couple of heavy sawhorses with a back board to stack lumber on.  Several guys on the Forum have built horses similar and there is even a plan made for them out there somewhere.   

They are handy because you can space them out to hold any length lumber.

Here is a "6-up" of horses made by Dr Buck.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

snowshoveler

Ohhh nice.
Thank you Bibbyman
Those are awesome. I can build those pretty easy.
And if I space them right I can pick the lumber off with my skidloader.
I can see a "whack" of those in my future.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

laffs

If you have the right setup, sometimes you can pick up scissor lifts cheap.
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

Full Circle

Well-timed question, Snowshoveler, as I prepare to mill some more white pine.  Of more value to me, though, is your kind of thinking:

"I use the mill on the weekend a bit and then evenings in the week I add little things that make it easier next weekend."

I get pretty frustrated with myself sometimes because I often think I'm "too busy" doing what has to be done "now" to take the time to do those things that will save me so much time later.  These horses are a perfect example.  I just got the mill site cleaned up and I want to work smarter.  Then working harder will yield more.

You didn't mean to do it, but you inspired me with your question.  Thank you.
-Roy

fullcirclefarmandforest.com

Ron Wenrich

How are you handling the material coming off the saw?  All the handmills that I've been around have a set of deadrolls coming off the husk.  That allows slabs and boards to be pushed down the rolls.  It also allows the boards coming off the saw to lay at the same level as the husk.  Otherwise, your board or slab will tilt down, if its too long.  That would give it the opportunity to hit your saw, and then its coming right back at you.

I've seen cheaply made green chains that could handle all that you're talking about.  Run everything on a deck, then advance a little each time until the deck is full.  That way you can get a good product sort, and you can separate your slabs out.  A small electric motor can be used to run it.  Hydraulic also works. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jemclimber

Thanks for that picture. A few of those saw horses with back boards are going to be in my future.
lt15

bandmiller2

Ron's green chain is the best idea if you circle mill alone. If you don't go "green chain" a roller table same hight as the husk with a slight pitch down and a trough of sorts to catch everything.Best of course is to have a stout lad behind the saw to sort and lay boards needing edging aside.I made a fancy stick with a handle to push boards beyond the saw,very handy when i'am cutting alone.Also made a flipper with a foot pedal in the sawyers box to kick boards or slabs away from the saw.Your sawmill should never be "complete"always think of ways to improve and eliminate or reduce tasks you don't like. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ely

great idea, thanks for posting bibby.

redbeard

yes great idea especially with the backstop and dividers. Ideas and modifications that save you a little time here and there really add up in the long run.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

captain_crunch

Chris
This is what I have if lumber is going somewhere I got an old trailer that I back up to roll case as we call them. I now stack lumber 90 deg to track to back straight into. I have since added another one on left side as well. Ifn my Blasted cows would leave it alone I would extend it further out >:( >:( You can make two out of one beings rollers dont need be that close for lumber. Just find you some old nuts big enough to fir over shaft thur roller and weld them to some box tubeing and off you go
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

captain_crunch

Pic of roll case I built behind the one I will take some rollers out of to make another one.Rolls come out same way as the #$@% pins in watch band that you always get magnet to find fer the 5th time before putting in baggie and take it to camera dept and have sales girl make you look like a fool as easy as she gets it fixed
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

bandmiller2

The origional Belsaw plans showed a steeply pitched table to the left of the saw as a safety device and a way for the boards to slide off out of the way.Belsaws were always touted as a one man mill. Frank C.

MotorSeven

Snow, you have a skidsteer w/forks? If so just park those forks so close the carriage can just squeak by, the off bear right on to the forks. Then go drop 'em where you want 'em. That's how I do it with my tractor & forks.
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

dgdrls

Bibbyman,

Any chance we could see that plan sheet a little larger.  can't read any dims'

Best
DGdrls

Bibbyman

I think there is a pdf file somewhere. I didn't make the drawing. Maybe look for the topic "Handy things around the mill."

Here is a link to a post by Gilman that made the drawing in question.  At the bottom of his post is a pdf download of the lastest version.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,258.msg222958.html#msg222958
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Dave Tarheels

Got the PDF , looks like a good idea .  Thanks for sharing .  I like the rollers to .
LT 20 Woodmizer

apm

Tripp from down in Georgia used to post here about his Belsaw. He's got three short YouTube videos of his setup. One of them pretty clearly shows the kind of setup Frank mentions, the slanted table that lets the boards fall away. If you do a YouTube search on Belsaw sawmill his come up near the top of the list.

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

Stephen1

When I 1st came on the forum, I found the plans from Mary for the saw horses I built 4 of them and use them for everything. they are starting to break down now. I think I will have to build some more.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

snowshoveler

I saw Tripp's videos many many times.
I do like how the lumber slides away from the mill and this part is real easy.
However...someone has to pick the lumber up sooner or later.
That someone is always me. I just don't like the bending over. Its okay for a few boards
but when your dealing with a days sawing its gets heavy.
I am liking Bibbymans sawhorses and I also like a small green chain idea.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

snowshoveler

I was tidying up my slabwood pile and did a little measuring here and there.
At the board end of my mill the carriage is just about 4 feet above the ground.
I should be able to make a slide similar to Tripp's and have about a 2 foot drop with a ramp perhaps 3 feet wide.
Then I could have a couple of Bibbymans sawhorses 2 feet high spaced far enough apart that I can pick the lumber up wiith my vintage massey fergusen skidloader move and sort it.
Prividing it works as planned I should be able to saw 2 or three logs and then tidy up the offbearer area.
Should be a lot easier on me.
I am usually working by myself and seem to get so involved in sawing that I play my self right out.
I have a bad habbit of working right past mealtimes even.
I know its work for some but to me its great fun.
Regards Chris   
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

bandmiller2

Shoveler,you need your own personal union,that working through lunch thing is to be avoided. Frank C.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

dgdrls

Thank you Bibby,

Got the plan sheet

DGDrls

captain_crunch

Chris
Hate to break your bubble but by your self here is how it works 15 min to saw log 15 min to resaw wild edges 4 hrs to clean up mess and pile boards :D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!