iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Safety Warning - ya think?

Started by Ward Barnes, April 01, 2012, 02:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ward Barnes

:D .  Howdy Folks:

I purchased a new flat file and raker tool combo to sharpen my chain and I read the instructions (gasp).  The first line said, "CAUTION - The saw must not be running".  Ya Think?

That goes along with the warning on a sawdust and wax Fire Log that said, "CAUTION - Danger of Fire".  Ya Think?

I'm sure there are plenty more "Ya Thinks" out there, but, these stuck in my mind.

God Bless, Ward and Mary

7 year old Stihl MS 390.  New Stihl trim saw MS 250.  Kubota BX 2200 tractor.  2005 F150 4X4.
Dull chains cause accidents.  Accidents cause shorter life spans.
You don't sharpen a chain when it gets dull.  You sharpen a chain to keep it from getting dull.

OAP

Well I have got to 43 with 10 fingers and 10 toes and most of that time (the first 32 years) I used my head to stay safe.  The last few years I have got some kids outa college telling me where I've gone wrong.
Progress ? I dont think so, my Dad has 9 fingers.he lost one 50 years ago when ivy sap got into a bad cut. Im waiting to hear one of the safety officers mention that it could happen.
Until that happens I will continue to depend on experience (commoon sense)

Ianab

Good advice right there..  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

ArborJake

I have a friend who works at a day care and she told me the emergency eyewash there has a warning label about getting it in your eye's. Seriously , there are too many lawyers out there.
thick and thin lumber company. qaulity manufacturer of saw dust and slab wood.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Ianab on April 01, 2012, 06:48:37 PM

I tell new chainsaw users this one all the time. I tell them, make sure you stay on the right end of the saw.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

cutterboy

I just bought a ride-on lawn mower. In the directions it says " Do not back up when a person is behind the mower" And it shows a drawing of a lawn mower on top of a child.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: cutterboy on April 02, 2012, 08:23:30 PM
I just bought a ride-on lawn mower. In the directions it says " Do not back up when a person is behind the mower" And it shows a drawing of a lawn mower on top of a child.

There are probably some people out there so dumb that they would say, "how am I supposed to know if there is someone behind the mower?"  ???
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Clam77

Quote from: Okrafarmer on April 01, 2012, 09:44:48 PM

I tell new chainsaw users this one all the time. I tell them, make sure you stay on the right end of the saw.

I bet there's people dumb enough to not know which end is the right end depending on which way it's sitting in front of them..
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Clam77 on April 02, 2012, 11:04:54 PM
Quote from: Okrafarmer on April 01, 2012, 09:44:48 PM

I bet there's people dumb enough to not know which end is the right end depending on which way it's sitting in front of them..

I demonstrate so they know.

Clam77

Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

aquacanis

It's not lawyers!  It's stupid jurors who award money when the lawyer convinces them that Joe should have shut the chain saw off before he handed it to his wife.
As long as judges and jurors (which is us) award huge claims, companies will have
to print an entire book of "ya think" bull crap, and two pages about your chain saw. Its the JURY (which is made up of average people) and the judges (elected by the people).  We have met the enemy and he is us.

ArborJake

That's true, what usually happens is the people feel sorry for the idiot, and Mc Donalds make umpteen million dollars a year so they can certainly afford to pay out a million to the person who can't hold a cup of coffee. But we dont run adds telling everyone they can sue for pretty much anything anytime anything bad happens.
thick and thin lumber company. qaulity manufacturer of saw dust and slab wood.

markd

Did I hear someone say common sense? They should call it uncommon sense, not everybody has it, sad to say.
markd

mad murdock

Like the warning on a tube of Preparation H "Caution, do not use orally".  I remember Paul Harvey commenting on that one.  Stupid is as stupid does.  Or this from John Wayne-"life is tough, its tougher if your stupid".
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

bandmiller2

How many times have you bought a new tool like a chainsaw with a nice big instruction manual.Its in four languages and the part in english is 90% warnings and one page of usefull instructions. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

customsawyer

I stopped at a small restaurant one day and the lady that owned it was out getting ready to start weed eating some of the grass at the edge of her building. As I walked buy she had the weed eater upside down and was trimming her hair. :o I ran over and stopped her, picked up her hair and handed it to her. The look on her face was priceless. 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

clww

Nowadays, Common Sense isn't so common.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

beenthere

And it really boils down to the liability suits that happen. If there is a label that says "don't pour hot coffee in your lap" then someone else may get sued. Lawyers can make great money when they find the one loophole where someone is made to pay.

I've told the story about the sawmill that paid for the workers' injury when a scaffold steel crossbar failed, and the trial determined that it failed because the knot in the scaffold plank concentrated the entire load at one point (knot didn't shrink longitudinally whereas the thickness of the plank did shrink). They nailed the sawmill that sawed the plank because he didn't have any warning info with or label on the plank. The sawmill just sold lumber, and someone else in turn sold it to a buyer who purchased it as a scaffold plank.

There are many such horror stories in these product liability suits, that make for very expensive insurance protection costs.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

maple flats

It really IS TOO many lawyers! That is the ones who take most of the stupid cases. There is no law against stupid but there should be. People should once again start taking responsibility for their actions.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

clww

I'm watching the TV this afternoon since it's going to rain here through Wednesday. Anyway, I just saw a "Magnum" ice cream bar commercial. This female jumps out of her car, leaping onto several other moving vehicles to reach a tractor-trailer rig hauling these ice cream bars. Warning caption at the bottom of the screen read "Do Not Attempt".
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Tramp Bushler

Quote from: mad murdock on April 13, 2012, 03:24:21 PM
Like the warning on a tube of Preparation H "Caution, do not use orally".  I remember Paul Harvey commenting on that one.  Stupid is as stupid does.  Or this from John Wayne-"life is tough, its tougher if your stupid".

I laughed so hard I have tears running down my face and I almost chocked on my snoose .  Mad , youre hilarious .
If your not wearing your hard hat when you need it. Well.

petefrom bearswamp

How did we reach the age a lot of us are without those warnings?
COMMON  SENSE!
Pete

PETE
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Ward Barnes

Howdy:

Then there was the jury that awarded a "not-so-common-sense" gentleman and his son big bucks because dad was tossing his son up in the air going "whee" and tossed the child into a moving ceiling fan.  The fan company did not have a warning not to do that.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.

Holding the wrong end of a chainsaw, even when it is not running, is poor head work. Nick 
7 year old Stihl MS 390.  New Stihl trim saw MS 250.  Kubota BX 2200 tractor.  2005 F150 4X4.
Dull chains cause accidents.  Accidents cause shorter life spans.
You don't sharpen a chain when it gets dull.  You sharpen a chain to keep it from getting dull.

TimRB

Quote from: clww on May 14, 2012, 02:09:35 PM
Warning caption at the bottom of the screen read "Do Not Attempt".

And then there are the car commercials showing someone simply driving down the road at a normal, safe speed.  At the bottom it always says "Professional driver--closed course.  Do not attempt."  Go figure.

Tim

lumberjack48

I came home a little to late one night, i went to bed. I was awakened by a real bad burning sensation. The wife got hold of the Bengay, and she could read.  :o :o- >:(
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Thank You Sponsors!