iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New crane, like a skidder, and diy extension?

Started by Satamax, March 27, 2012, 04:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hi everybody.

I have a new baby. 37' under the hook, aproximately, 15' outreach in front of the stabilizers Continuous rotation. 18.4R30 tires filled up with water. "crab" steer (is that right? The four wheels oriented the same) 4 wheel steer too. 2.7 tons lifting capacity at max outreach, and 8.8 (metric) tons between the stabilisers. Two extra hydraulic lines.

If i had the money right now, i'd add an hydraulic jib. But dough is tight after this buy.  So i'm planning a mechanical boom extention. Something like a rsj afixed with the hook pin. And a cable on to for triangulation.

Anybody has ever done such an extension?  DIY style.

Thanks.

Max.

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

thecfarm

What's the plan for that weapon? Looks good,I've never seen one like it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Satamax

Quote from: thecfarm on March 27, 2012, 04:18:36 PM
What's the plan for that weapon? Looks good,I've never seen one like it.

It used to be an electrical post fitter, with a huge ground drill.

I'll use it for roofing and carpentry/timber framing etc. But i also plan to fit a rotator and log clamp, and it will help me put wood on the track of my future  bandmill. Also, it will help me make the bandmill. But for roofing i need at least 9 more feet.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Woodchuck53

Never seen one either. Who makes that? What is the weight limit on the tip as it stands now? Does the company offer any attchements that you could model your build off of? Nice rig though as it sits.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

sandhills

I can't help you any with your question but after seeing it I can say I want one, I have no idea why, but I just know I could find all sorts of things for it to do!  ;D

T Welsh

Magicman

It is a beast of a machine for sure.  Big Boy Toy.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Satamax

Quote from: Woodchuck53 on March 27, 2012, 09:41:26 PM
Never seen one either. Who makes that? What is the weight limit on the tip as it stands now? Does the company offer any attchements that you could model your build off of? Nice rig though as it sits.

Who makes it, it's a company called contant, which doesn't make cranes or anything anymore. They just lay underground and ari electrical lines nowadays. I have managed to trace some of the old farts who made things like this. I might have a manual soon.  I've broken the handbrake lever on the transfer case, which had been badly repaired, and it seems that i have hydraulic leaks on the repairs which have been done. And also a slow puncture. grrrrrr! Tonight i'm a bit down, like, What have i done! Nevermind.

fishpharmer

Someone left a skidder and a loader alone one night,  see what happened? ;)

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

lumberjack48

Looks like it would make a CTL machine and truck loader.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Taylortractornut

What you want is a swing away jib.    It mounts on the  outside of the  female  boom extension housing.     It hinges on it  when needed it swings out over the telescoping male boom.      When it swings over a set of pinholes in the male  end and  pins on and then unpis from the female section to  extend out.     I used to make them for a company I workedfor   we had alot of oddball and  older boom trucks.     There was a huge liability that goes along with it.     We were really quiet about making them.  We didnt even let our hands know.

We made most of them out of  2by2  thickwall square tubing.    In a triangular  latice boom.    Alot of them we made some short ones from   thick wall rectangle  These were onle a few feet long.    We also made truss Jibs for our  Lull lifts  out of the 2by2 tubing to.   

Thats a  nice rig, TVA had several on a line crew and a few skidder based versions.   They had a Quattro with a  shop built blade on the front with a pinn on rake.       Youll like the crab steering as it makes it possible to  pull rigt beside a building and  then away from it.

My overload permit starts after sunset

Satamax

Thanks a lot for your replies guys.

Taylor, any pic?  ;D Well, i was in the mood for a 4x8 thick'ish walled tube. solid steel ends. One which would take the pin from the end of the boom where the hook ataches. And the other end whith a new pin for the hook. Bout 9' or 12' long. Two cables on top, to triangulate a bit all this,  or may be a ram atached to the drill mount.

Thanks again.

Max.

Taylortractornut

I didnt get any pics, at the time I wa 21 and more worried about what time the bar opened lol.   Well and the fact I didnt think we were doing anything  important.      How many more feet are you trying to squeeze?    I can take a pic of a friends factory swing away on his Terex boom truck.    He had one made from 4by8 on his old boom truck.   
My overload permit starts after sunset

Satamax

Ahhh the joys of being 20 ish, and tracing birds :D

Don't worry about the pic.  I would love to squeeze 9 to 12 feet. But that means dismantling it every time i want to move it. Frankly i'd much preffer to find something like this

I was thinking, small cranes  for 3.5 tonners, come way cheaper than jibs on the ad site i rumage through usualy. I was thinking of buying one, may be with the rotation broken if i get lucky. And using only the telescopic part. Afar, i don't need to lift that much.  If it can cope with a metric ton at 40' horizontaly. Even half a ton would be fine.

Thanks. 

Max.

Thank You Sponsors!