iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Generator shed/dog house style question

Started by Jim_Rogers, March 27, 2012, 11:54:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

Since 1999 I've had a generator for my house.

My wife was scared that with the calender change we'd loose power. Of course we didn't but anyway, we've used this generator for many years and many times when the power goes out.

Thinking that I would use this generator here at my sawmill shop, or on jobs, I have been storing it here since I bought it.

This becomes a problem when we need it at home, at night. I have to get dressed and drive down here, load it up into my SUV and haul it home. Hook it up, and run it, without letting it get wet from rain or snow.

I told my wife after the last time I had to do this, this past winter. That I was going to build a "dog house" for the generator so that it could be there at home when needed.
I don't ever use it here at the sawmill. And I've only ever used it on a job once since I bought it.

My first idea was to mount it on a trailer and then the trailer could be parked at my house, or hauled to jobs if I needed it.
I bought a small trailer frame 10 years ago, and never built the "dog house" to be mounted on the trailer.
And I would worry about someone stealing the "dog house" trailer if it was just parked in my yard. I'd have to make up some chain and lock arrangement to secure it to the house as there isn't any trees on that side of the yard to use to secure it.

So, I don't really want to use a trailer any more.

I am going to need access to the top of the generator to pour in gas. And access to the pull cord to start it. And once this dog house is built, a way to open it and remove the generator in case I do want to take it to a job site.

I'll need it so that it prevents rain and snow from getting onto the generator while it's running.

I want it to be vented good as well so that it can run with the roof in position to prevent it from getting wet. And secure as well while running.

I was thinking of a door or a double door that has lattice on the inner door so that the generator would be vented but secure so that we could leave it running to keep the house warm in the winter time while we're off for a few hours on errands chasing down more gasoline. Or at night time while we sleep. That way I could open it up, start it up, and leave the outer door open to allow ventilation, but still be secure.

The question is, "have any of you built something like this?"

I was hoping for some ideas of what it might look like and or some advice about how to build it based on what you have done.
What worked for you. What didn't work for you. Or what you would have done differently if you were going to do it again.

Thanks in advance.

Jim Rogers

PS. pictures would be great.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

zopi

whatever design you come up with, add sound deadening foam, and a small fan to keep air moving through the enclosure..bloody things are noisy.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Den Socling

My first thought would be leave about a 2" gap around the bottom of the four sides. Do the same at the top. The heat that is generated will provide lots of circulation. Hinge one side to roll it out. Hinge the roof for service. Just my suggestions.

Jim_Rogers

Thanks to all for your advice.
I'll have to draw something up and see how it looks.

Jim Rogers

scsmith42

Jim, I have an old Onan JB genset installed in a shed on the side of a building.  It's a stationary model though, so it has a shroud around the unit for pulling cooling air through it.  I simply ducted the shroud over to a port in the door, and installed an air inlet high up on one side. 

What type of generator do you have (brand, model, kw, etc?)
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Jim_Rogers

I'll have to look that up and get back to you.

I'm not totally sure, and I have to go now, more tomorrow.

Jim Rogers

Clam77

Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Clam77 on March 28, 2012, 09:04:25 PM
How big is it dimension wise??

Good question. I'll have to measure it to make sure I have enough clearance all the way around for getting into and out of the "dog house" once I make it.
It has a set of wheels on one end, and legs on the other with a "T" handle for moving it around. I don't plan on removing any of these. I will make blocks for the wheels to set between so that it won't move once in place.

I'm going to use the "T" handle to store the wire on that goes from the generator to the house so that I know where it is at all times, with the generator.

When I set up my house back 12 or 13 years ago, I put in the generator switch box in the cellar right next to my regular panel box. Then I ran a wire from the generator box across some floor joists to the bulkhead area. I put an outside box on the side of the house so that the wire from the generator could "plug in" to the house.

I put a clip on light on the panel box and so when I need the generator, I plug it in, turn it on, and go into the house, down the cellar stairs to throw the switches, and the cellar is lit up by the clip on light. So I can see my way over to the panel boxes to throw the switches. Works for me very nicely.

I did the same setup at my Mom's house. She's 92 and in a wheelchair most of the day. So taking her out to a shelter during a snow storm power outage would be out of the question. She has a nice two car garage where we keep her generator. And I set it up in an open garage door with the exhaust pointing out. This keeps it quite dry when running during a snow storm or rain storm and power outage.

I run her big wire over to the box on the side of the house as well, and plug it in, go down cellar to her panel boxes and flip the switches to "turn on" her house. I don't have a generator panel box outlet on hers so I don't have a clip on light there. But she has lots of flashlights so I'm not in the dark there at all.

I will post my drawing when I have it done.

Jim Rogers

upnort16

Jim, When living off grid in the northwoods of Wisconsin, the generator used was a military surplus Kohler unit. Anyways, after many trial and error attempts for convenience of operation, maintenance and noise levels a couple of things stick in my head. First of course, it will at some point need working on, small portable  units simply need a door to roll it in and out of, but stationary units need elbow room. If it's a pull start, give yourself plenty of room, if capable of electric start, convert it! I found that the stand up in shed I used had plenty of ventilation for fumes and such, but it was large enough to hold two kohler 4 cylinder generators. One ran on gasoline, one ran on propane. The propane unit was just a back-up or spare. They both sat side by side with ample aisle between them. However what I did was route the exhaust out the wall, down into a buried 55 gallon drum and back up through a stand pipe with a tractor muffler. From anywhere around the house yard or lakefront, the noise was nearly non existent. Mind you this was off grid, generator to supply batteries for storage and converter to make it all usable. You won't need all of that, but plan accordingly, silence the exhaust, make getting it up and running easy and enjoy the power outages! If I can help in any way, ley me know. Ken

Thank You Sponsors!