iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how to build a log arch? dimensions?

Started by opticsguy, March 27, 2012, 10:49:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

opticsguy

I have two mobile home trailer axles, wheels etc.  Wanting to use these to make up a "log arch" for hauling logs outta the woods.  My mill saw will take up to 28-29" logs. So what dimensions should i make the arch and the length of the tongue?  I was thinking of using a chain to lift the and hold the log tongs (need to buy those also), hooking the chain onto a chain hook.

Have a 27HP tractor with 3 point for pulling.

TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

bedway

If you check in my pics i have several there of the one i built. If you need any specifics just ask away.

Tom the Sawyer

Opticsguy,

There are a lot of versions of log arches on the forum.  I looked at many of them before coming up with the design that worked for me. You are welcome to my construction drawing for ideas.

The .jpg was converted from my CAD drawing.  If anything is unclear send me a message and I'll send it in a different format that might work for you.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

opticsguy

Thanks for the responses, just did a search on the forums, plenty of information and lots of ideas as well as here.

This project is getting bigger as I had originally planned to drag one end of the log on the ground but now thinking to lift the whole log.  This hobby is getting crazy!!

TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

bedway

Being able to lift and transport the entire log really helps keep it cleaner. :) As you can see in my build i canterlevered the rear end to help counter act some of the front weight.

Magicman

Quote from: opticsguy on March 27, 2012, 12:23:23 PM
This hobby is getting crazy!! 

It's not a hobby, it's an obsession.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jemclimber

I cantilevered mine also to hold it in two places depending where the center of gravity of the log was when picking it up. Also I don't know how you load your logs on the mill, but I made my arch tall enough and wide enough to back right over the mill and set the log down. Very useful for big heavy logs. It's also tall enough to load big logs onto a trailer.  Just something to think about before you weld it up.
lt15

Thank You Sponsors!