iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging camp recipe?

Started by Jeff, February 20, 2004, 06:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I made Tammy a chalk board to go on her kitchen wall. We would like to put a recipe on it for fun. Something unusual and fun that might reflect logging camp, or paul bunyan, or trees or something like that. Does anybody know of anything like that?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

I found this one so far...  To much for me to write though. :D

BEANHOLE BEANS
Soak 2 pounds of yellow eye beans overnight.

Using seasoned wood- Accumulate live coals until hole is 3/4 full.

Parboil beans over the open fire until the skin peels away by blowing on a few beans in a spoon.

Mix:
1 teaspoon dry or prepared mustard
1/2 cup molasses
1/2-1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water
1 large onion cut in half

Add the mix to the beans and stir slightly.

Slice 1 pound salt pork into sections. Cut each section
partly through in a criss-cross pattern and place pieces on top of the beans.

Cover the beans and set to one side.

Shovel out the coals leaving about 3 inches of live coals in the bottom of the hole.

Set the bean pot in the hole on top of the 3 inch bed of coals.

Shovel the rest of the coals around and on top of the pot.

Cover with dirt and check for escaping steam and making sure none is leaking out. If steam is leaking out, cover area with more dirt.

Leave in the ground for 8 hours or overnight.

Note: You may eliminate soaking beans overnight if you parboil them. Also, make sure the beans are completely covered with water before putting in ground. If you have to add water, add only boiling hot water so as not to cool your pot of beans. The beans need to go into the ground hot.

Tom

http://www.almanac.com/phorum/read.php?f=4&i=4023&t=4023
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Vinegar Pie
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1/3 cup vinegar
1/3 cup cornstarch
Dash of nutmeg
3 eggs
1 tablespoon butter
Baked 8" or 9" pie shell

Separate eggs and beat the three egg yolks together. Stir the first five ingredients together and cook until clear and thick. Stir half the mixture into three beaten egg yolks; add mixture to remaining mix in saucepan and stir until combined; let rest off burner for one minute. Stir in a tablespoon of butter until melted. Pour into a baked pie shell.

Barnes writes that Mrs. Russell Wood, Kalkaska, cooked vinegar pie in northern Michigan lumber camps. This recipe is adapted from one she used. Her recipe directions conclude, "If you wish to be fancy, just in case the girls are going to drop in, make the usual meringue [using the left-over egg whites]. (But lumberjacks were happy to have the pie without the fringe on top.)"

Adapted from: Barnes, Al. Vinegar Pie and Other Tales of the Grand Traverse Region. Traverse City, MI: Horizon Books, 1971.

chet

Seein' as how ya want it ta reflect a loggin' camp settin'. How 'bout a note dat says no wet socks allowed dryin' on da stove 'till AFTER supper.    ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

QuoteSeein' as how ya want it ta reflect a loggin' camp settin'. How 'bout a note dat says no wet socks allowed dryin' on da stove 'till AFTER supper.    ;D
Thats a good one!  Got any more der Chester?

smwwoody

Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Jeff

A friend of Ada, Forum member Stamp, has invented a way to make a better beer butt chicken.
http://www.poultrypal.com/

Tom

Now that's marketing.   .....and we worry about how much we charge for a board?   $10.95 plus $6.95 S&H?   Looks like a cake pan to me.  Hope they sell a bunch of'em  ;D

SwampDonkey

Jeff:

That recipe you posted on the beans is a staple here in New Brunswick and Northern Maine. Its a saturday night dish. We also use  Soldier Beans which is a Heritage bean in the Maritimes and Yellow eye beans. Most folks here also add gingar and you have to be carefull when you add the mollasses because you'll harden the beans. ;)

Here's a pancake recipe that was a well known staple in the bush:

1 -1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Combine:
1 beaten egg
1-3/4 cups milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Add liquids to dry ingredients. Beat only until combined.

Heat the grittle so drops of cold water will dance across it

Grease the grittle lightly

And of course in about 3 weeks the guys could boil down the maple syrop for the topping ;)

mmm mmm lick your chops over that  :D :) ;D

Oh, don't forget the steamed brown bread with those beans:

1-1/2 cups Graham flour
3/4 yellow corn meal
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup raisins
1 egg
1-1/3 cup milk

Sift together the flour, corn meal, salt and baking powder; add the raisins and molasses, and mix with the beaten egg and milk.

Have ready well-greased tins with tightly fitting lids, fill two-thirds full of the batter; grease and fit on the covers, and steam three hours. The loaves may be placed in the oven for a few minutes after steaming, if a dry crust is desired.

OR! lets have corn bread instead
2 eggs
1/2 level teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
3 tablespoons sugar
3/4 cup flour
yellow corn meal to form a batter
4 teaspoons baking powder

Beat the eggs well, add the salt, milk and sugar, and beat in the flour and baking powder with enough corn meal to form a soft batter; bake in shallow, well-greased pans in a moderate oven about half an hour. The exact quantity of corn meal can not be given-usually about two cups will be sufficient.

A couple of ice creams come to mind too. Maple Walnut and Grapenut flavors, I've never seen them outside New Brunswick and my father made barrels of the stuff. Its a guarded secret as is his fudge recipes.  :D ;D

Ok stop drooling on me.  ;) ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SasquatchMan

How bout this'n

Turtle Pie
1 1/2 c turtle meat cut in cubes
3 tbsp. flour
1 onion diced
3 tbsp butter
1 1'1/2 c water

Brown the turtle meat in butter, ad diced onion and salt and pepper to taste.  Add the water and simmer for 1 hr.  Remove from water and put in a greased casserole.  Make a thin flour paste and add it to the turtle meat.  Make a baking powder biscuit dough and cover the casserole with it.  Bake until biscuits are brown.  

I've also got Wolf Stroganoff and Roasted Goose with Sauerkraut if ya like.
Senior Member?  That's funny.

CHARLIE

How 'bout a big pot of GRITS!! 8)

Bring 4 mugs of water to boil and pour in 1 mug of old fashioned grits and a 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Cook for 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt. Serve with butter or ham gravy and eggs. 8) 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Stan

You seem to have a lot of water in yore grits, Charlie. We make ours a little dryer so when the dippy runs outa the aigs, when you chop everything up together, it don't run off'n the plate.
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Jeff

I can assure you der aint no room for GRITS on our recipe board! :D

SwampDonkey

:) :D :D Bahahahaha  :D :D :)

What are we laughing about ?  ;) ::)

Oh yeah. The grits....I haven't never ate those. Aren't they some kinda corn goolash? ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

james

dads recipe for how to cook kidneys  
take kidneys, place in a pot full of water , boil pith out of kidneys , throw kidneys to dogs, cook and eat steak

james

somphin simular might work for grits 8)  :D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!