iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First on the job breakdown (Blade guide arm)

Started by Full Circle, March 26, 2012, 10:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Full Circle

While milling at a customer's on Sunday, the adjustable blade guide arm stopped moving on the LT40.  Uh-oh.
Having never been into it, I wasn't even sure how the the thing worked, but some pretty quick troubleshooting indicated the motor was turning in both directions.  That was relief.  Then I had to inform the customer (who was off stacking lumber) that I was going to need some time.  After taking it apart (if you ever do it, back the blade tension all the way off  BEFORE you put a wrench on it.....) we found the roll pin attaching the sprocket to the motor shaft had sheared.  An hour to run and get a replacement roll pin from my auto parts guy, eat lunch while driving, and we were back milling after losing two hours, total.  Made the day longer, but we milled what the customer wanted cut, and all ended well.

So, although no down time is good, I'm glad the first breakdown only cost two hours of time and no real money.  This was a repeat customer and I think working on the mill with the customer (well, with this particular customer, anyway), fixing the problem, and getting back to milling, might have even made for a stronger business relationship.
-Roy

fullcirclefarmandforest.com

customsawyer

Those little pins will shear on you at the worst time. I keep about 20 of them in my truck.  I hate to be broke down for a .20 cent pin.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

Anything that you replace, get two.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Full Circle

I did.....
(but maybe I should have gotten a few more)
-Roy

customsawyer

It don't happen that often but like I said to break down for a .20 cent part chaps certain parts of my anatomy.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

kenlt30

I've had a few breakdowns also. One was a broken throttle spring. Customer took the hood latch spring off of his pickup truck to get us sawing again. Another customer stood guard at the mill ( to prevent his cows from chewing on the mill) while I went to buy an alternator belt. I now have an extra spring and belt.

isawlogs

I have a box of assorted split pins in the parts/tool box that follows the mill around.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Full Circle

Magicman, your point is a very good one.  And Customsawyer just put in another post that Woodmizer manuals are a great resource.  Worth repeating here.  I had the tools, but no manual.  Next time I have to do this job, I'll have the tools, the manual, and the parts!

-Roy

pineywoods

I have seen that pin shear off also. Even worse, one sawyer broke off the shaft  right where the pin goes through. Had to machine a new shaft out of a bolt. I think what breaks them is hitting the guide arm with a log, either while loading or turning a log.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Chuck White

I've been lucky, not too many breakdowns.

Maybe keep in mind that when the roll pin was sheared, you could still move the blade guide by hand, just give it a push and it will move.

CAUTION:  If you get your flesh in the way, you could lose some in the little V-wheels that the blade guide arm rides in.  Don't ask me how I know!   :o
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

terrifictimbersllc

Recall what size the pin is, I'll pick some up. ??
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Full Circle

I wasn't sure what caused it, but, like Pineywoods said, there was one time when I backing when I did look away to be sure my customer's daughter saw me backing (she was helping her dad as off-bearer), and I did catch the edge of the log with the adjustable guide roller.  Glad the pin sheared and not the shaft............

I'm not sure what size the pin was TT, but I'll measure the spare and post it.
-Roy

customsawyer

The pin is 1/8". I also carry the shaft that goes in the drive motor. It is almost always when you bump the blade guide arm on the log that it shears.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

jmcq

Woodmizer has released an updated sprocket that uses a set screw instead of a roll pin. I found that it works much better with the updated part and much easier to fix when it slips.
05 WM LT70 D62

Full Circle

Custom Sawyer beat me to it, it's 1/8" by 3/4" long.  If you can get to the set screw that jmcq mentioned without dissassembly, then I would get one of those.  The dissassembly and assembly are what took the time in my case.  The sheared pin came out pretty easy.
-Roy

customsawyer

I would like to figure out the difference between my two mill setups because on one mill I can take a new pin, align the holes and drive it in. On the other mill I have to do some dis assembly to get a new pin in it. One mill takes 5 seconds the other takes 5-10 min. I think it has something to do with that little plate that the drive motor  sets on.   
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Full Circle

I know this thread is old, but I had another blade guide arm problem today, so I figured I would continue it.

Thought I sheared the pin again, but like the guy pineywoods mentioned, my shaft broke right where the shear pin goes through.  Turns out it had been cracked more than half-way through for a while.  Custom Sawyer said he carries the shaft, and pineywood's guy made one.  I'm going to call Woodmizer in the morning, but for some reason, I don't have a good feeling about them stocking this part.  Otherwise, I'm considering trying to weld it up (with the shaft and gear removed from the housing).  Then I'll put it in the drill press and try to smooth it out since I don't have a lathe.

Anybody have any other thoughts?
-Roy

drobertson

I can't remember the shaft dia. but got to thinking, there won't be allot of room for weld. A good tig would be handy, I was thinking, weld it solid, smooth it down and mark and spot for a set screw, then tap the lil sprocket, accordingly,  hopefully you will find a replacement part, or two,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Quote from: Full Circle on March 10, 2013, 05:57:49 PMbut for some reason, I don't have a good feeling about them stocking this part.......Anybody have any other thoughts?
Yup, my thoughts are that they will have it in stock.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customsawyer

www.thecustomsawyer.com

Klicker

Don't ask how i know the they stock it but they had one when I needed it. Rod 8)
2006 LT 40 HD

GAB

Shortly after purchasing the sawmill I purchased a red tool box ( the web site did not list an orange one) strictly for sawmill parts and tools.
B57 belts, small spring pins, fuses, blade alignment tool, extension bed adapter, drive belt tightness checking gauge, etc.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

octam1

Make sure you keep that little #25 chain lubed up too... if it gets really rusty and freeze's up that could make the pin shear also... our LT40 Super needed some luv when we got it too... and that was one of the things in need of the luv... lol...

we carry a box with some spare parts in the truck also... hopefully we don't have any major issues on a mobile job...
KnottHead Custom Sawing & FabWorx
Ceres/Twain Harte CA.

WoodMizer LT40SHDG38 w/AS2 & Debarker
Lucas 8-20 Swinger w/60" Slabber & Planer
Solar/Dehumidifier Kiln in the worx
Stihl - 2x 026's, 044, 046, 2x 066, MS660, 2x 088 & 3x 075AV

MartyParsons

Hello
You could up grade to the new gear with the set screws. The gear sprocket part # P09970 $ 6.95 comes with the set screws. Shaft 009695  $ 19.95.
This would help solve the problem with the roll pin breaking and wobbling the hole out in the shaft.
The LT70 has a different sprocket to make the arm move faster 036664 $ 20.77.
You can upgrade all mills with the blade guide arm motor. with the parts above.
LT70 is the only one that is special or different.

If the rollers on the blade guide arm are extreamly tight this will make the pin break.

Thanks
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Full Circle

Thanks for the input.  It's good to know they have that part, Rod.  David, I think the shaft is probably 5/16 or 3/8....small.  And all I have is a stick welder.  Maybe I can try my hand with a smaller rod

The tool/parts boxes is a good idea, too.  I have one, but it needs more parts.

I have to finish milling up an order, so best case is I order the part (or two) in the morning and can maybe get myself up and running until it arrives.  My last overnight from Indiana cost about $50, so maybe I can avoid that with a relatively quick fix.

Thanks again.

Marty posted while I was typing, and what a relief that is.  Thank you, Marty.  I'll be ordering the upgrade tomorrow.  I think my pin sheared (way back when) from catching a knot on the way back.  Who knows, that could have been when the shaft got cracked, too.  The guide arm moves in and out fairly easily without the motor mounted.  I lubed the chain today, octam1.  Thanks to all.
-Roy

Thank You Sponsors!