iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for fellow horse loggers

Started by lowimpact, February 20, 2004, 04:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowimpact

i would like to know how many people are there using teams to log and working to make a living the hard way? Seems I see alot of people out on the net offering services but when you call them to chat they are out of business. I seem to be one of very few people in my area offering anything like this and I would like to know who else is out there working there teams. Email me at keithratliff@bellsouth.net if you are into horse logging.

Tom

Read some of the topics below and you'll find Horselogger is a frequent poster here on the Forestry Forum.

https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=sawmill;action=display;num=1077225366

Hosslog is too but I haven't seen him around since the end of December.

Don't be too quick to judge the loggers here.  Skidders or not they are a hard working bunch too.  I hear their concerns for harming trees tearing up ground too so they would probably share some of your concerns.

Wes

Does oxen count ?

when Im done training them I was thinking of getting an elephant to load trucks at the landing. ;D

Jeff

Oxen should fit in this fine. Low impact with built in fertiization as a bonus. Perfect Wes. ;D ;) :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Wes

no comments on the elephant I guess!

seriously though , when I posted my questions on oxen logging I got alot of great responses and if lowimpact even tried he would find that alot of  people would contribute. I know I am interested and this would be the place to post it.

Wes :-*

Wes

oops I think I hit the wrong smiley,I ment  :)

Corley5

Exactly!!  Horse logging is a topic that's been covered more than once and everyone here would like to hear and share in experiences from a different part of the country. That's what this place is all about.  This guy just wants to exploit the Forum for his own benefit without being a contributing member.  I question whether he's even a real logger let alone a horse logger >:(
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ed_K

Wes, we talked of elephant logging. I saw logging in Thailand, they can move a lot of wood in a day, and I liked the built in cherry picker  :D.
 It would be great advertizing, but hard to keep fed  ;D.
Ed K

Frickman

I kind of like my skidder. I don't have to feed it on my days off.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Stan

If your skidder had to be fed you wouldn't have any days off.  ;)
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

hosslog

Lowimpact, I think what happens to a lot of the folks that try horse logging just don't realize how hard you have to work for the amount of money that you make. You have to like working horses more than you like making money. :D
Horse logging also works best ,for me anyhow, if you have someone locating work for you. That way there isn't as much down time between jobs. I work for a mill owner that uses horses to do all his low impact and TSI work. He would use horses more but not enough land owners are interested and there aren't enough people with horses that are willing to work and do the quality of work that he wants.

As for working weekends, when do you guys with skidders do your maintenence? ;D

Thank You Sponsors!