iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My biggest log

Started by Qweaver, March 25, 2012, 01:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I have a 36" dia X 18'6" log to saw with the new Peterson.  I lifted it with the JD 110 yesterday and I had to put the chains 1' behind the forks to get that sucker off the ground.  At lunch I figured the weight and it was over 6000 lbs.  I'm surprised that I got it up about 2'.  I don't have far to move it thankfully. I now know my limit.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Bibbyman

Quote from: Qweaver on March 25, 2012, 01:28:58 PM
I have a 36" dia X 18'6" log to saw with the new Peterson.  I lifted it with the JD 110 yesterday and I had to put the chains 1' behind the forks to get that sucker off the ground.  At lunch I figured the weight and it was over 6000 lbs.  I'm surprised that I got it up about 2'.  I don't have far to move it thankfully. I now know my limit.

Back when we only had a farm tractor with loader to move logs.  The really big ones I moved one end at a time.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Magicman

They are all easier to roll than to lift.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scsmith42

Quinton, I think that you'll enjoy milling the large log - best of success to you!

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

JohnM

Pics or it's not true!  ;)

(I'll take nearly any saw I can get right now but I would love to try out a Peterson/Lucas.)

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

captain_crunch

Unless you need 18 ft lumber I would sugest 2 logs
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Qweaver

Quote from: captain_crunch on March 26, 2012, 01:50:46 AM
Unless you need 18 ft lumber I would sugest 2 logs

Yep, the customer wants 18' 1x10s and I bucked the log 18'6".  I'm glad that I took the log from the second cut.  I would have never lifted the butt at that length.  I've got 150 12' battens to make also.  I think I'll cut 10x10 cants and saw the battens out on the band saw.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

captain_crunch

Don't know about bandsaws but with circle mill you will be glad you took second cut ;D ;D Butt cutts on the bigger logs tend to have timber bind terribly and can be a real rewarding experiance :D :D
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!