iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"Pink Slime" in ground beef ....

Started by LOGDOG, March 24, 2012, 09:47:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LOGDOG

Have you been following this discussion of "pink slime" in the ground beef? I have to say that it's a turn off for me. I see Kroger's has committed to not carrying any ground beef with the "pink slime" in it. Short of that I had started to think about grinding our own.

How about you folks? Does the notion of "pink slime" turn you off when it comes to using that ground beef for your cooking?

Norm

Not me I've eaten hot dogs all of my life and it can't be any worse than those!

But seriously the food sites I hang out at are all in a tizz about it. I usually buy myself primals and grind but on occasion do buy the ground stuff. Don't worry too much about it but do stay away from the 10# tubes of GB unless I'm having company over.  :D

DanG

It hasn't been a concern to me because I only buy hamburger from places that grind their own, on site.  I made that a policy when they started having all of those tainted meat scares from the big hamburger mills.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

chevytaHOE5674

My beef comes from the pasture out back so not much worry about "pink slime". haha

Texas Ranger

You really don't want to know what is in the food you eat when it is not created in your own kitchen.  Pink slime?  Think sausage.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

beenthere

Nicknames given to food items can be a turn-off without knowing what it means. Apparently it is not "slime", but is added fat that has been cooked down to get rid of the "grease" (and kill any ecoli with the heat) and ground back into the meat as an addative. Kinda sounds like hamburger-helper.
I'd avoid it just because it is an addative.

Not many would eat yogurt if someone nicknamed it "snot".

I prefer staying away from the large meat processors too, and stick to local stores that grind their own with no fillers. Let the fast food places take the ground with addatives.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

zopi

there are alot nastier things perpetrated in the big food conglomerates...a lot worse.

I try not to think about it too much, but do try to buy real food...

I find it funny, most folks won't try tripe, but will eat twinkies...lol..or hot dogs..

grits suck.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

DouginUtah

McDonald's has stopped using it and Wendy's doesn't use it.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

LOGDOG

Quote from: Norm on March 24, 2012, 10:21:33 AM
Not me I've eaten hot dogs all of my life and it can't be any worse than those!

But seriously the food sites I hang out at are all in a tizz about it. I usually buy myself primals and grind but on occasion do buy the ground stuff. Don't worry too much about it but do stay away from the 10# tubes of GB unless I'm having company over.  :D

10# tubes ..... yeah amen on that one. I bought one a while back not thinking ...kind of pressed because everything else in the meat case had been hit hard. I got home and the wife is like "You didn't!" She said, "Never buy ground beef in packaging that you can't see through."

I don't eat too many hot dogs these days. Trying to go towards lean meats and vegetables.

sprucebunny

I stopped buying ground beef. It was tasting funny.
Have refused to eat fast food for a few years.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

thecfarm

Turn off is right,but boy don't it taste good.  ;D  I like it nice and pink in the center too,if the red stuff or pink is running down my arm as I eat it,that much the better.  :D We buy mostly from a small store here,they ground thier own.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

CHARLIE

What I found interesting is that the market was willing to sell it to you as long as you didn't know it, but as soon as you found out they acted like they were taking the high road and not selling it anymore.  Kinda like the kid caught with their hand in the cookie jar.  I don't mind stuff like that as long as the market is up front and lets you know. Hot dogs list their ingredients but this "Pink Slime" wasn't even mentioned. I want them to tell me what they are selling me.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Mooseherder

Our stores never sold it but you can group everyone in together when news sensationalism says 70 percent of grocery stores sell it.  I don't believe that percentage was sold in Supermarkets but will have to accept their statement as fact.  We sure have answered a lot of questions the last couple of weeks.  I'd bet we've had well over 10 thousand inquires in our stores.

One has to ask themselves why would this guy wait almost 20 years to decide he was going to whistle blow?  It just doesn't make much sense.  McDonald's used the stuff up until a month ago so y'all know what it tastes like. ;D
I don't remember hearing anything about this in the media although it may have been out there.
The news story I did see had our company on the screen along with quite a few others saying that we would not be using that product.  It was almost in a light that implied we had been using. >:(

I checked my work file to reference the Proteins that have come up in the news over a 1 year time period.
Here they are.
Pink Slime, Gelation injected shrimp from China, Hondoran Spiny Lobsters,  Meat Glue composite,  Arsenic in Chicken feed, Seafood mislabeling and fraud,  Animal slaughtering practice and BPA in food.
There may be more, I just didn't save them.
Operating like you're behind a glass wall is the best policy.

Wait until these news folks find out a 2 x 4 is really 1 1/2 by 3 1/2  ;D

LOGDOG

It seems that a lot of this stuff goes with the territory of producing food in mass quantity or distributing food in mass quantity and the need to transport it a substantial distance and then stay good for it's projected shelf life. Makes me want to plant a garden and put a few head of beef out in the pasture. One thing about Louisiana ... we can source our seafood direct from the boat if we want. I buy jumbo Shrimp from a guy who runs a shrimp boat out of Houma, LA. I usually buy about 30 lbs at a time, head on, for $5.00 or less a pound. I have a few pictures somewhere I need to upload of those. Beautiful shrimp! This summer my wife and I are going to try to spend quite a bit of time down in Grand Isle fishing and catching blue crab. One of my clients has a place and a boat down there. It's not uncommon for them to go out and catch 1000-1200 pounds of tuna, grouper, snapper, etc between 5-6 guys. Good way to fill a freezer quick with fresh seafood. Might have to soak the fillets a little first to let the "oil" out but other that that they should be alright.  ;)

Kansas

I imagine they do list it on hot dogs. It would be under ground beef or beef products. Really, what they are doing is taking trimmings from steaks, roasts etc, and putting it in a centrifuge. They get the lean out of it and use that to lean down the ground beef. Its used in a lot of foods. I can't really see where it hurts anything. Its the name that is the problem, as stated above.

Was it squid or octopus that was renamed calamari and is now quite popular? They need to get that guy that renamed it and introduce this product under another name.

SwampDonkey

Hey, I've eaten calamari. On a very remote island in the Pacific. No, it wasn't tropical, but it sure was rainforest. Had a plate full of every fish you could imagine, couldn't even eat it all, for $12 bucks. Mmmm
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LOGDOG

I love squid/octopus/calamari or whatever other name they want to call it.

Just something about the ammonia being sprayed on that seems unappealing. I'm sure it's a mental thing. I know there are worse things we ingest.

I come from a background of always having two steers in a pen getting fattened up for the freezer and shooting 4-6 deer per year plus keeping a 100+ chickens and 40-100 rabbits on hand to complement a 1 acre garden full of chemical  free veggies and berries. And then there was the fish we caught fresh and stocked the freezer with.  :) That can spoil a person and change their expectations of what food should be like.

SwampDonkey

In my youth I've ate enough wild Atlantic salmon and brook trout to start my own fish farm. Had our own meat and dairy when I was real young and dad grew enough taters in 40 years to feed China (I don't for how long :D ). Strawberries, none beat local grown there are a lot of U-Picks, but dwindling in numbers. People can't afford to run all over the country to pick up their groceries that we did 25 years ago. SO we have to make due. Raising and growing stuff isn't free. It's like the guy delivering $200 of his home grown beans 100 miles away and spending $70 in gas doing it. What did he really make on profit? ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodsteach

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 25, 2012, 07:03:46 PM
People can't afford to run all over the country to pick up their groceries that we did 25 years ago. SO we have to make due.

I understand this SD BUT.... people "afford" what they want to "afford".  example: look at all of the parents running to and fro taking their YOUNG children to sporting events.  I can't believe the ages that they are playing basketball, football, & soccer  it starts around 6 yrs old around here.  So I don't believe that people can't afford to get good local grown food they just choose to do the drive through and go to more events.

We also grow most of our own vegs and raise grassfed beef and free range chickens as well as have 60 laying hens going full swing right now!!  Need any eggs????

I envy you folks by the coast with all of that seafood. 

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

LOGDOG

Wish you were closer Woodsteach ...I'd take you up on some of those eggs. Love those orange yolks.

I saw on Yahoo this morning that this company that manufactures "pink slime" is closing several plants and is now starting a publicity campaign to repair the image of their product. Good luck with that....

SwampDonkey

The drive through thing is one thing. Which I don't do unless I'm late from work and driving buy. Many a nights I get home and it might be 6:00 before I start cooking. By golly, I cook. I don't eat from cans and boxes. When I buy groceries I say to myself, this is what I need so which place is cheapest.  If it's only a couple items that are cheaper and I get most of the stuff on the list at the store I'm at, I just get it where I'm at. I do not drive over to someplace for a couple items thinking it's a savings. It ain't. And no one on dad's side of a family carts kids all over creation. Now I have a cousin who drags here kids everywhere and it's not the for the kids it for her, because her father didn't run her all over creation growing up. Them kids are on Facebook and they tell my brother the real scoop. :D The ones around here cart'n kids are the government jobbers, not the average Joe and Mary. You just can't on $9-10 an hour.

Taylortractornut

I wished they would just leave the  lips and bholes for the hot dogs.      I get aggravated at my wife as she is a can an box chef.   Her mom never taught her to cook and I cant take her in the kitchen lol.   Shes learning a bit though.  SHe makes  great spaghetti.    We raise most of our own veggies during the pring and summer  and fall.     Raise our own eggs to.    Im looking into buying a calf  to fatten up but I would have to keep it elsewhwere or  Amy would name it then Id have to feed it till it died lol.

Im thinking about getting some broiler chickens , I have a weak stomach when it comes to dressing things  just the smell of blood.     I have it worked out with a friend that will dress them for  1.50 each. 
My overload permit starts after sunset

CHARLIE

I read in the newspaper where the company in South Dakota that makes "Pink Slime" has had to shut down a lot of its operation because of the bad press. That gave me an idea. Why not create crates and crates of the "Pink Slime" pellets and sell them to 3rd world countries that are starving.  It might be a good way to get protein to countries that need it.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Ianab

Probably be right tasty with a bit of Marmite mixed in...

But the starving throngs will just have to wait, there is a Marmite crisis here right now.  :o

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Patty

This newest propaganda fling by the media is costing alot of jobs. A plant in Iowa just shut down operations, putting 200 people out of work. Folks will never go the extra mile to learn the truth about things, they go with the 10 second bites from the talking heads, and call it gospel. Remember the Alar scare? Hundreds of apple growers were put out of business when that one hit....and it was all hype and misinformation. As far as this recent pink slime scare, alot of folks will lose (have lost) their jobs, and the price of beef will go up. No one wins, but many folks will lose. So called pink slime is processed lean beef, no more no less. No one has ever gotten sick from it, no one has died, and we have been eating it for over 20 years. Get over it folks, we are fed so much worse stuff, like twinkies, or fruit loops, or pepsi, and no one seems to care.

Personally I find processed chicken far more disgusting than the pink slime thing. Ever been to a chicken processing plant??

I guess it is all a matter of knowledge and what you get used to....
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Den Socling

Patty - hear hear! You are 100% correct. And it was all started by one guy who called it pink slime. I wonder how he feels today.

Red Pill

You're absolutely right, Patty. All hype and hysteria.

beenthere

Quote from: Den Socling on March 30, 2012, 04:34:35 PM
......... And it was all started by one guy who called it pink slime. I wonder how he feels today.
He and PITA are happy as can be. It is their goal to assault the meat industry....any way they can.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LOGDOG

This did create an awareness of what people are eating though. I think that's positive. If people want to eat "finely textured beef" ...ok, just disclose it on the packaging. Now they know what they're looking for in case they don't want to eat it.

I will say this, one thing that I do find good about the "finely textured beef" process, is that it uses as much of the animal as possible. I've been a hunter all my life and have always made it a point to use as much of the animal as I can out of respect for the life that I took. Same with the animals we raised growing up. So to the extent that the "bits" are used vs. being discarded ...so long as it's healthy to eat ... then there's a positive that can be found there.

woodsteach

Quote from: Patty on March 30, 2012, 03:56:51 PM
1.  and the price of beef will go up. No one wins,

2.  No one has ever gotten sick from it, no one has died, and we have been eating it for over 20 years.

3.  Get over it folks, we are fed so much worse stuff, like twinkies, or fruit loops, or pepsi, and no one seems to care.

1.  I do I raise beef as well as the all of the other ranchers win IF the price of beef goes up!

2.  Maybe maybe not look at the average waistline,  could this ammonia stuff have something to do with it????

3.  AMEN to that

Put the CORRECT and TRUTHFUL info on the labels and let the consumer decide what he wants to purchase stop hiding what is in our "FOOD STUFF"

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Thank You Sponsors!