iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Love my new tractor!!

Started by wheelinguy, March 24, 2012, 09:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wheelinguy

I have been wanting a tractor for quite some time now, looked at dealerships and craigslist, did some research.  Finally this past december  I purchased a Kioti DK35hst, 38 hp, hydrostatic, quicktatch bucket and forks.  I haven't had much need for moving snow this year, so not much use :(.  Yesterday i decided to try and move piece of log left behind from our logger on the side of the driveway, thought that it was to boig to ever be moved!  I drove down over the bank and surprisingly popped it free of the ice and gravel that it was embedded in, then the little tractor that could picked and or dragged that log to its final resting place.  I was so happy that i forgot all about taking pics, the log was a white pine about 7' long and 42" across. 8)

thecfarm

I have a 40hp NH and I would not call it little.  I looked at those Koti's a few times and they put out some  beefy tractors.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

Hope you gave her a little pat on her rear end.Seems there are some tractors that always seem to do more than excepted and outhers that never measure up. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

chevytaHOE5674

Always fun getting to play with a new toy. Like you I would consider 40hp a small tractor, but still handy none the less.

LOGDOG

Wheelinguy ...

I've got a DK45C that I've had since 2008 I guess. I like it real well. The only thing I've had trouble with is the air conditioning in the cab. Not sure if yours has the cab or not. If not, it's a non-issue. In fact I need to take it over to the dealer and have him service the A/C again. Overall though, I've loved having that little tractor. I wish we had some snow to plow down here with it but no such luck. Once you get used to having the tractor around it's hard to go without one.

zopi

40 horse is a good sized utility tractor...I tend to think of anything, in modern tractors anyway, as too small. 

would still like a 44 series deere, but that is waay overkill. lol
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Burlkraft

Obviously you guy's don't love 'em enuff to post pictures of 'em!!  :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

LOGDOG

I love my wife too .... but I haven't posted a picture of her either ... and she's way better lookin' than my tractor.  ;D

Okrafarmer

Quote from: LOGDOG on March 24, 2012, 10:43:31 PM
I love my wife too .... but I haven't posted a picture of her either ... and she's way better lookin' than my tractor.  ;D

And hopefully she sees your post as you absent-mindedly leave it up on your screen, and go to the other room for a while....
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Okrafarmer

40 hp used to be a big tractor-- think John Deere model 70-- but now adays 40 hp's barely kicking it.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

bandmiller2

Okra,I know what your talking about.A JD 70 diesel is my "big iron"rebuilt it a few years ago massive engine over 4" main bearings 6 1/8" bore and the little kowayuppie diesels claim more HP,OK I won't argue, but I'll stick with thors hammer. Frank C.

Norm

Bet mine's bigger than yours Burlcraft.... ;D

Oh and Logdog, prove it!  :D

LOGDOG

:D You're funny Norm .....  ;)

sandhills

Quote from: bandmiller2 on March 25, 2012, 08:13:55 AM
Okra,I know what your talking about.A JD 70 diesel is my "big iron"rebuilt it a few years ago massive engine over 4" main bearings 6 1/8" bore and the little kowayuppie diesels claim more HP,OK I won't argue, but I'll stick with thors hammer. Frank C.
The local FFA alumni has a consignment auction every year to support the highschool FFA and this year there was a freshly rebuilt 70 diesel, which had been repainted also.  They even used the wrong paint and decals on it but it still brought over $8000.  My dad has one that my siblings and I grew up on, funny story with it, our neighbors who farm tens of thousands of acres had to stop one day for help to get pulled out, my brother and dad were gone with the "big" tractors (4010/4020's  :D) so my sister went to pull them out with the 70.  It has a pony engine that also had a little trick to starting, anyway she was probably 12 years old jumped on and fired her up, the neighbor was on the drawbar watching her, scratched his head a little and said "uhmm, what did you just do?"  :D

Okrafarmer

I bet he knew never to mess with her!!!

gspren

I was always amused by the idea that the main engine on the 70 is a 2 cylinder and the little pony motor used to start it is a 4 cylinder. I have a 1956 620JD which is also a 2 cylinder that puts out 40 some HP and it will out pull most new 60 HP tractors easily!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

blackfoot griz

Norm can plow your garden in 2.3 seconds!

tyb525

Well I know he plowed his yard a year or two ago ::) :D
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

bandmiller2

Sandhills,I made a bracket and mounted a big delco electric starter on my 70,best thing I ever did.I had an 830 diesel industrial with the v 4 starter engine you needed boath hands and a prehensile wally to start it. Frank C.

Al_Smith

Quote from: Okrafarmer on March 25, 2012, 12:48:05 AM
40 hp used to be a big tractor-- think John Deere model 70-- but now adays 40 hp's barely kicking it.
Actually they were about 35 HP on the drawbar .That 35 HP would pull a 4 bottom plow though .Fact I own a 70 gasser vintage 1954 .You can suck 5 gallon of gas though it an hour if you work it hard .Now of days you couldn't afford to farm with something like that .

Al_Smith

Old trick on those JD diesels .Roll those old mules over for a tad with a fuel rail shut off for a bit  before you lay the fuel to them .Just like the old pony start Caterpilars .You gotsta warm those cylinders a tad bit on those prechamber diesels .

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Al_Smith on March 28, 2012, 10:34:29 PM
Quote from: Okrafarmer on March 25, 2012, 12:48:05 AM
Actually they were about 35 HP on the drawbar .That 35 HP would pull a 4 bottom plow though .Fact I own a 70 gasser vintage 1954 .You can suck 5 gallon of gas though it an hour if you work it hard .Now of days you couldn't afford to farm with something like that .

Right you are, but 40+ hp was the engine horsepower on the 70. In those days they did not measure PTO hp. Modern tractors are rated by PTO hp, and the drawbar hp is almost always less than the PTO hp. So the 70 would be somewhere around 36-40 PTO hp.

About fuel efficiency, the 70 diesel (along with the other 2-cylinder diesels) was one of the most fuel efficient tractors in the world when it was made. Its replacement, the 720 (which used the same engine and power setting as ITS replecement, the 730), set a fuel efficiency record that stood until 1983. The 70 diesel was marginally less efficient than the 720. Many of the 70/720/730 tractors are still at work. They have a combination of efficiency, grunt torque, and reliability that has rarely been matched by any tractor in its size class since. The gas engines were less efficient, but still more efficient than most of the gasoline Farmalls. The gas Farmalls were total fuel hogs.

bandmiller2

One of the cleverest marketing ploys ever when the 70 diesels first came out deere told the dealers don't sell them to small farmers, they need acreage to work right.Well you can guess what happened every little guy just had to have one.When I overhauled mine I put 720 injectors and pump in,really a 70 with 720 hangers. Frank C.

chevytaHOE5674

That 35 HP would pull a 4 bottom plow though

Round "here" 35hp is good for a 2 bottom plow, if you can find a spot of real sandy ground maybe 3.

sandhills

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on March 29, 2012, 09:17:44 AM
That 35 HP would pull a 4 bottom plow though

Round "here" 35hp is good for a 2 bottom plow, if you can find a spot of real sandy ground maybe 3.

My neighbors still farmed exclusively with 2 cylinders until last fall when the son bought a real nice 4020 on an auction.  Those old 70s and 730s have a very good hp to weight ratio, they pull 4 bottom plows all day long, not real fast though  ;).

chevytaHOE5674

Around "here" we have heavy heavy clay soils, so generally you drop a bottom or two off a plow that would be considered "normal" for most other areas. Guy up the road has a JD 70 I think it is and he pulls a 2x16 plow and thats about all the tractor wants in some areas, other areas he could add a bottom.

For comparison I have 2 Allis Chalmers WD-45's and in other parts of the country people pull 3,4,and 5 bottom plows with them. I have a 2 bottom plow that makes those tractors get a work out in our soils.

Okrafarmer

The WD-45 can't hold a candle to the 70 plowing, unless you put bigger tires on it. Even then I doubt it would have the torque. Allis should have known better with those 28" tires. I have seen one at a tractor pull that had 38" rims. It pulled pretty well. But there was no 70 in the pull.

chevytaHOE5674

I wasn't comparing the WD-45 to the JD 70. Just making the point that because a tractor will pull a 4 or 5 bottom plow in one place doesn't mean it will do it everyplace.

Okrafarmer

Gotcha. At any rate, if both tractors are up to snuff, the 70 ought to outpull the WD-45 by approximately 1 bottom in most any soil.

Clam77

I grew up with my grandfather's JD 530 gasser... somewhere around 40-50 HP i think-not sure.  All those old 2-lungers pulled like a mule tryna run for it's life.  Work one hard enough for long enough and you'd see flames coming out the stack at times near dusk and into the night.   ;)

As long as you didn't stall them out you could pull them as hard as you could and they'd keep on a putt-putt'in..    8)
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Clam77

Incidentally, Chevy and Okra, that's how they rated alot of tractors and "crawlers" as they called them back then - how big of a plow they could pull.

One would say they had a 2-bottom Farmall M or a 3-bottom Deere.. or a 4-bottom Cat...   ;)
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: Clam77 on March 29, 2012, 10:35:59 PM
Incidentally, Chevy and Okra, that's how they rated alot of tractors and "crawlers" as they called them back then - how big of a plow they could pull.

One would say they had a 2-bottom Farmall M or a 3-bottom Deere.. or a 4-bottom Cat...   ;)

And they went away from that rating system for many reasons. Different soil types, different plows, different plow bottoms and shares, mounted vs. semi mounted vs. trailer plows, etc all can change what a tractor will pull. So there were plenty of unhappy farmers when their tractor couldn't pull the plow that it was advertised with.

Piston

WheelingGuy,
Congrats on the new tractor 8) 8)

It's always fun to run a new piece of equipment and see what it can do.  I'm still amazed at what my little 45hp can do. 
If you do a lot of work with trees as I assume you do, I can't recommend a front end grapple enough.  Mine has saved me more work than I ever could have imagined.

Some more pics here....
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=50047.0

Also, I bought a used heavy duty box blade with hydraulic scarifiers for the back of the tractor and had the rears filled, the box blade is double duty for extra ballast but is also more useful than I imagined it would be.  I added Top N Tilt to the rear for hydraulic angling and it makes such a big difference.  You'll have to get around to posting a pic of that new toy of yours!  My next tractor will very likely be a Kioti. 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Polly

:D 8)       i bet you my little 45 hp dexter burns less fuel then your biggg jd ha ha  :D ::)

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Polly on April 14, 2012, 09:39:18 PM
:D 8)       i bet you my little 45 hp dexter burns less fuel then your biggg jd ha ha  :D ::)

Not for the same amount of work done. I'd stake my reputation on it.

markd

Norm, that's the bigger boat I was talking about for removing that stuck swamp Alder!! Markd
markd

Polly

8)  8) all joking aside jd tractors are all good personally i love the older ones i like to hear the put put sound ,when i got my sawmill i bought a jd 5325 4 wheel drive with a loader to use to move my logs and around the hobby farm my wife says i have ,you all probly know she pays my fuel bill ,the 5325 jd is a 5 cyl diesel rated 60 hp i think ,i did not do my homework before i bought it ,the next bigger jd is a 4 cyl so is the one smaller ,personally i would not recomend anyone buy one like it it in noisy and burns fuel like it has got a big hole in the fuel tank ,having said that it does have pretty paint  :D :D 8) 8)

Okrafarmer

I've heard of 5-cylinder engines before, but I bet it is noisy, probably has a weird firing order. Wonder how hard it is to design one to be dynamically balanced.

Polly

8)  i think they designed it to be more pollution free ,when you start  it up the engine goes to full throttle and thens backs off to idle around a 1000 rpm and the smoke rolls until it warms up personally they better stick to the 4 cyl  my favorite is my little super dexta 3 cyl perkins engine 45 hp in road gear around 30 mph it dont know when it hits a hill the gov, opens up and on you go i think they were built for around 6 mo in 1964 the ones before that were dexta or dexter but not the super dexta which has 5 hp more then the dextea :-\

pineywoods

Quote from: Okrafarmer on April 16, 2012, 10:48:01 PM
I've heard of 5-cylinder engines before, but I bet it is noisy, probably has a weird firing order. Wonder how hard it is to design one to be dynamically balanced.
Don't know how hard it was, but the Kubota folks did a nice job on the one I have. smooth as silk, plenty of power and sips the diesel. Chevy makes a 5 cylinder gas pickup.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Okrafarmer

The first 5-cylinder engine I remember hearing about was an air-cooled SAME diesel, in a tractor around 90-100 hp.

Ianab

Nothing wrong with a 5cyl engine.

My Mum is still driving an 80's vintage Audi 100 with a 2.2l inline 5. Very smooth engine. They also did them with diesel and turbo diesel options.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_100

If anything they are smoother then a 6 or 8 as there a no pairs of pistons moving together. Each piston is on it's own timing.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!