iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack 225A with a duetz motor ?

Started by David-L, March 23, 2012, 09:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David-L

I have a TJ 225A 1984 with a five cylinder Duetz motor and # five jug has some what seems to be exhaust blow by. thought it was the exhaust manifold but that checked out. Also the push rod tubes on that cylinder leak a bit. First Duetz motor and wondering if there is a bad jug base gasket and if it will hurt to run this motor with a small leak like that. Also wondering if this is a repair that is simple to solve or how to diagnose this issue. Any help is welcome on this , mud season is over and its time to go back to cutting.
                            Thanx David
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

David-L

Well folks, No bites on this one aye!!!. I am power washing this machine today to get a better look at whats up. My guess is a jug base gasket. Time to buy a shop manual. Sure is a different beast than the 353 screamer.
                                    David

Mark K

Our Same tractors on the farm were air cooled like the duetz. Not bad to take apart but you best get a manual. Theres shims for setting the deck height for the cylinder head. We had our 105 hp one lose a cylinder during the winter a couple years back. Started blowing raw fuel out the exhaust, ran for a little while longer and started gaining oil in the base. Cylinder washed down and was getting in the oil. We rebuilt it and have had no problems since. I just bought a Treefarmer C7T with a six cylinder duetz. Seems to have alot of power. Kinda nice not having to listen to a screaming jimmy anymore!
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

barbender

Sorry David, I've never worked on a duetz, only ran equipment that was powered by them. Never had any problems, so I didn't get into the inner workings.
Too many irons in the fire

David-L

With a power washing I can tell it is the head gasket. Time to fix this baby. manual on the way. can't wait to pull a hitch with this machine. Thanks for your responces.
                                      David

kiko

Fire ring blown. If you do not remove the jug and only the head your crown clearance shouldn't need adjusting. Just remember when setting the valve lash Duetz engines count the cly starting at the flywheel end.  You may need a tool to reinstall the push tubes. I have never tried to install push tubes without the tool but there may be another way.

sealark37

You will be please with the performance of your Duetz once you fix it.  Part of the problem is the relative trouble-free operation that most operators get.  Mechanical problems are quite rare, and usually small.  Good Luck and Regards, Clark :)

David-L

Thanks for the info every one. I will try to get my hands on a push rod tool for the install. Will I damage this engine if I try to finish the job I am on. I am cutting cordwood with no real heavy nasty pulls. Down hill skid to to landing. And about how long will it take to do this job in Hrs.

Thanks David

Thank You Sponsors!