iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Redwood Clock

Started by Magicman, March 22, 2012, 11:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

After I built Jeff's clock last year a guy from Minnesota saw a post and asked me if I would build one for him.  I was hesitant, but he explained that he wanted it built for his Dad's Birthday present and that he wanted it built out of his Dad's Redwood barn lumber.  Well, that tugged on my heartstrings and I reluctantly agreed to do it.

Imagine my surprise when the UPS guy delivered the "lumber".  :o

Three well worn 2X8's about 2' and 3' in length.  Now what??  I tried to forget about it, but it just would not go away.  I have to build a clock out of that.  Nails everywhere.

Some of them had disintegrated into just rust.  Others pulled in two.  All were difficult.

I then took the longest to the sawmill to try to resaw it.

I had to build a sacrificial jig to hold it for sawing

And finally managed to resaw one board.

Then when I started sawing the individual parts they split apart in the weathered cracks.

And all had to be reglued back together.

As I began the assemble, other pieces had to be glued back together.

The main clock enclosure is now complete, the base is cut out, and the door is "lap mitered" and is ready for glass and gluing.

The door is squared up and clamped.

The main clock enclosure will have the weathered and worn side out.  The base and top will be planed and sanded.  This is to show the character of the weathered wood and also the beauty of the tight grained Redwood.

Wonder what it looks like when you knock your entire tray of brass screws off of the work bench?  :-\

The door hinges are morticed.

The top pieces are not attached yet.  Final assembly should be tomorrow, and then maybe even a coat of Tung oil.  Maybe I can also get some closeup pictures of the tight grained wood.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Lud

Nice work..............as always. ;D
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

kderby

Oi!  Brass on the floor  ::) ::) ::)   Oi!

It will keep ya humble. ;D

That wood might have been growing when Jerusalem was visited by three wise men..... 

I am looking forward to the fine grain photo.  Thanks MM

sandhills

Thanks Magicman, there's no doubt that will be an heirloom!  It never ceases to amaze me how you and other folks here can look at a pile of otherwise "scrap" and turn it into something like that.

CHARLIE

You sure have a lot of perseverance.  A lot of huge obstacles and you stuck with it to overcome each one. When the boards split apart and you glued them all back together I just though....Wow!  Your customer's father is going to really appreciate that clock and when he's gone, it will become an heirloom to the family.

Bummer with those brass screws.  Can't use a magnet either. Gotta sweep 'em up into a dustpan. :)  One of my big frustrations is when I drop something important into  the pile of shavings under my lathe. Talk about finding the proverbial needle in a haystack! 

I very impressed on how you've turned those old boards into a beautiful clock. Nice work. 
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

TreeWinder

Ed
041 056S 056M
MS660 070 084
CS670
Baker 18M
Komatsu D-21-P ,
Speeco 35T

SwampDonkey

Wow, what a journey for those pieces of red wood. Plus the obstacles and challenges of the wood artist. That's going to be real special to those folks in MN. Looking great. ;D :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

He might want to see these pictures too. Than he might realize the extra work you put in to it. That looks some pretty.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Quote from: thecfarm on March 23, 2012, 07:36:57 AM
He might want to see these pictures too.

I will include a CD with all of the pictures (there are many more) and print these pictures and make him a little album.

It's all about pleasing the customer, no matter what you do.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Den Socling

MM you have extraordinary patience and talent.

Magicman

On a QS piece I counted 43 growth rings in one inch.

Here is a rift sawn section of the lumber.

The camera flash makes it look glossy, but it is not.  The finish is very satin.

A couple of photos of the top.

The reflection is bad because almost everything is reflective.
It has no hands yet, but I guess that is OK, it doesn't have any feet either.

This shows that the clock body displays the character of the old worn lumber.  The top and base show the beauty inside.   

Axe Handle Hound

Nicely done MM.  Who says you can't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse?

beenthere

Are the pieces left weathered in the clock also redwood?

And the finished redwood pieces were on the barn?

Looks great.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Yes, it is all the same lumber from the customer's Dad's barn.  Some kind of 2" flooring because it was worn down from traffic over the years.  I resawed one piece to gain the needed ¾" lumber.  The lumber for the actual clock enclosure was weathered side out.  The rest is planed and sanded.  It has an interesting contrast showing the beauty as well as the weathered character.

Woodchuck53

Nice MM. A lot of work but well worth the effort. I like old wood also.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

metalspinner

Great work, Magic man!

I love your idea to showcase the rough and surfaced pieces.   :)

Do the rough parts have any finish on them?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

SwampDonkey

Very nice as was said about the contrast of the old surfaces with the finished surfaces.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Yes Chris, I applied a coat of Danish oil on the weathered wood to seal it.  Everything will probably get at least one more coat of oil.  I think that the customer's Dad will be pleased and I know that he will be surprised.

Ron Scott

~Ron

Burlkraft

Another MM masterpiece!  Well Done!!
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Rooster

Nice Clock! MM!

It almost looked like a restoration project.

Quote from: kderby on March 23, 2012, 12:01:39 AM
That wood might have been growing when Jerusalem was visited by three wise men..... 

kderby,
It wasn't Jerusalem... the town was Bethlehem...just in case you qualify to compete on Jeopardy!!
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

bama20a

Dang,MM you are a man of many talents,I would have threw it in the trash when it split,But you did an outstanding job to go on & finish it.
I like the rough & then finished part of it.May sound corney,But it reminds me of the song,DADDY'S HANDS. Alittle worn on the outside,But smooth on the inside.Very nice work...Mark
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

Magicman

I hope that someday I can meet the "Dad" that it's going to as a gift.  I have often wondered about him as I built.

When you build something for someone, you are contributing to them a portion of the greatest gift that any of us have which is our time.  Those hours of my life could have been spent doing something else.  My wish is that it is appreciated and cared for for many generations.  That way my time lives on providing pleasure to someone else.

SAWMILL BUDDY

Thank You Sponsors!