iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need some info on a sawmill I am thinking of buying GM M2 diesel power unit

Started by Farmer_17, March 22, 2012, 06:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmer_17

Thanks Chris how would I look at his photo's I am a newbee
farmer 8)
Farmer TD-9 dozer, Fordson backhoe, Ford 8N, Belsaw M-14,1922 Studebaker touring, 1958 Edsel, 1948 Nash

Farmer_17

From the photo's does it look like a belsaw? Thanks farmer
Farmer TD-9 dozer, Fordson backhoe, Ford 8N, Belsaw M-14,1922 Studebaker touring, 1958 Edsel, 1948 Nash

apm

You've got a Belsaw, there, Farmer. The feed works indicates it's an M14. Someone has done some modifying to it, but looks like it's all there. You can do a lot of sawing with one of those. It'll certainly keep a couple of guys out of trouble and off the streets. The 36" saw may be a little limiting. Belsaw supplied them with 40" and 42" I think, but a lot of guys, myself included, run 48" saws happily. The 36" saw may be perfectly matched to your power unit. Congratulations on a nice score!

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

Farmer_17

Thank you Greg do you think the 68 hp diesel i have would run a 48" blade if so I would be looking for one. Also how would I go about getting the blade sharpen. It looks like the teeth are re-moveable but don't know if you have to have a tool and I don't no where I would take them here in northern cal.
farmer 8) 8) 8)

snowshoveler

Nice Mill
I have mill envy...wait a minute I have always had mill envy.
Oh well.
Most of the folks here sharpen the teeth right on the blade which is right on the saw.
Some use a flat file and some use a "saw Jockey" I keep checking ebay and see them from time to time.
When its time for me to file I plan to turn the blade around and use the flat file.
Then re install it the right way and saw away.
Unusual ...but for me will set the tooth up easier to file.
As for more pics you can do a search and look at members photo's.
There are a lot of belsaw owners here, many more than i would have thought.
I think just about everyone here has used one or been used by one.
More pics please
Chris   
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

beenthere

QuoteWhen its time for me to file I plan to turn the blade around and use the flat file.

Now I am curious as to why turn the blade around? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Farmer_17

Farmer_17

Quote from: beenthere on March 24, 2012, 04:48:41 PM
QuoteWhen its time for me to file I plan to turn the blade around and use the flat file.

Beenthere I hear you are getting our California sun shine seems like the last few weeks we are getting winter in spring.............farmer

snowshoveler

Quote from: beenthere on March 24, 2012, 04:48:41 PM

I have checked out the way I hold a file to the tooth and find that I would be more comfortable with the file on the other side.
The closer to a flat surface the easier it is for me.
I also spent a very long time being trained to file as a millwright.
I didn't plan on getting a mill at that time but here I am.
I work in a chainsaw shop and more than a few people get me to file.
Its all about understanding .0001 of an inch.
I don't mean to sound to cocky because I just might screw up the file job but I will try it for sure.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

zopi

Google "Belsaw Manual,"  The Old Woodworking machines site has scans of the instructions and procedures for that mill. 

Those tracks, by the way, can be had as stock steel profiles..or could a couple years back.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Farmer_17

Quote from: zopi on March 24, 2012, 05:58:18 PM
Google "Belsaw Manual,"  The Old Woodworking machines site has scans of the instructions and procedures for that mill. 

Those tracks, by the way, can be had as stock steel profiles..or could a couple years back.
Will do.....Thank you...... love this forum best one I ever been on...........farmer

snowshoveler

hey Farmer...
looking at the pics of your power unit. It appears to be the front half of an Allis Chalmers HD5 crawler.
If it is and you have the transmission attached then gearing is great. You can run to get the feed and speed you need.
nice setup.
Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

zopi

one of these days I am going to stumble on one of these little belsaws for a song or a cord of firewood or something...I need one like a hole in the head...but hey.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

Quote from: snowshoveler on March 24, 2012, 07:42:39 PM
hey Farmer...
looking at the pics of your power unit. It appears to be the front half of an Allis Chalmers HD5 crawler.
If it is and you have the transmission attached then gearing is great. You can run to get the feed and speed you need.
nice setup.
Chris

lol...that tranny have a pto?  hydraulics...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Farmer_17

Hey Chris I tough so the engine frame is heavy steel but did not know if they used the 271..........farmer 8) 8) 8)

Farmer_17

Quote from: zopi on March 24, 2012, 08:30:49 PM
Quote from: snowshoveler on March 24, 2012, 07:42:39 PM
hey Farmer...
nice setup.
Chris
no tranny Chris

lol...that tranny have a pto?  hydraulics...

steamsawyer

Hey Farmer,

That's a nice looking rig. Looks like it has not been used too hard.

As for sharpening your blade I concur with Ron W on your other thread. All I use is a 10" or 12" single cut bastard file. You need to file in the morning before you start and at noon when you stop for lunch. If you file often it will only take four or five strokes on each tooth. It may feel wrong handed starting out but take slow deliberate strokes and practice holding the file on the same plane throughout the stroke. It is much easier keep the teeth to the correct shape and angle. With a little practice you will find that it is easier than you think. I had one of the hand crank filers that uses the segmented file disk but I gave it away, I donated it to the sawmill at the Florida Flywheelers club. They are nice for keeping the angles correct and anyone can use them, but the discs don't last long and they cost a lot more.

Can't tell for sure but your blade looks like it has the same bits and shanks as my blade. Last year I bought a new blade 52" 36 teeth with B style shanks. You will need some spare teeth not for if, but for when you hit some hardware in a log. You will also need the wrench for rolling the shanks in and out to replace the teeth. If you would like to see a video of me changing the teeth in my blade, click on the Youtube icon under my avitar. It is kind of repetitive and boring but you can see how it is done.

Welcome aboard Farmer.  Here you will find some of the most helpfull and courteous people. This is not like Ax Men, it's not a competition. This is one of the best sites on the net.

There are sponsers on this site that can help you out with peices and parts. If you want the company I deal with PM me, I'll be glad to chat. 

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

bandmiller2

Shoveler,you are probibly right about the AC dozer nose as they used the detroits.My first mill I freehand filed and had no problems,now I use the Dexter flie guide,makes it easier to hold the angles and get a straight bit. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Farmer_17

snowshoveler

I have sawed logs a few hours down and a few years down.
Older logs may have some rot.
Logs I am now sawing were tipped over in october.
They are in pretty good condition. That's because of the cold and they are red pine.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Farmer_17

Quote from: snowshoveler on March 25, 2012, 05:15:42 PM
I have sawed logs a few hours down and a few years down.
Older logs may have some rot.
Logs I am now sawing were tipped over in october.
They are in pretty good condition. That's because of the cold and they are red pine.
Regards Chris
Thanks Chris I tough it would be better when they are green. I have a chance to pick up some logs from a guy that are doug fir..........enjoy your day.....farmer 8) 8) 8)   

bandmiller2

Farmer,you cut-em when you got-em.Depending on the temp. you can hold logs for a wile,especially when the weather is colder.I like to let the pine sit off the ground a couple of months so their not so pitchy but cutting green is no problem.Hardwoods seem to store better as long as there off the ground,even if the outside has a little rot usally inside is fine. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Farmer_17

Thanks Frank learning some thing every day.............farmer  8) 8) 8)

Farmer_17

Greg I tough I had a 36 blade but it is a 40 I just about got it all home just waiting for the weather to break to go get the power unit. The mill  looked nice sitting there when I bought it but when taking her apart found alot of rotten wood. I  will make a new frame out of 2x10 that what it shows in the manual and I like keeping thing original. The only thing I don't care for is the pulley handle is  about 3 feet from the blade so I will try and find out how far to set it back.
farmer :P

Thank You Sponsors!