iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homelite 360 - no spark, grounded out

Started by americantoolman, March 22, 2012, 01:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

americantoolman

I have two more Homelite 360 saws that I'm working on - I rebuilt the carb on one and it is running good but the other has no spark.  One at a time - I swapped out the coil, the on/off switch, the transformer receptacle and the transformer from the tool that was working but still no spark.  Magnets in flywheel are in place, wires and connectors look good. Checking continuity with a meter - it appears to stay grounded out even when switched on.
I'm stuck - any ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks, Mike.

sharkey

Try the ignition with the switch completely disconnected.  Use the choke to shut it down when it starts.  Replace the spark plug with a known good one when you do this.

americantoolman

Sharkey, Thanks for the response.  I tried this twice actually.  The first time I disconnected the wire and taped it up so it would not touch  The second time I removed the switch completely and ran the wire out of  the hole so i could ensure it wasn't touching metal. I also recently change the spark plug with a brand new one.

Al_Smith

One side of the coil will be grounded any way .

Some times you get corrosion the builds up on the aluminum attachment point of the coil and it creates a high impedence situation and no sparky .Lightly sand or file the point  of attachement plus the coil lamination portion that makes contact and see what that does . The coil must be good else it wouldn't have sparked on the other saw .Make sure  the coil air gap to the flywheel is 10-12 thou .About 4 sheets of printer paper thickness is close enough .

For simplification a coil is basically an auto transformer with one side of both the primary and secondary coils grounded .When you break the circuit on the primary as it passes through the magnets it discharges by the only known path being through mutual inductance to the secondary or high voltage coil where it passes though the spark plug gap to get back to ground .--junk yard wizard  101 -- ;)

T Welsh

Thank You Sponsors!