iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What do I charge?

Started by Lud, March 22, 2012, 08:41:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lud

I promised Donk I'd send a few pics to show where this big table  was to be sited.
The delivery went smoothly and I reassembled in about two hours.  It's a pretty big patio so the scale isn't off.

The folks have also ordered a bunch of stools I'm also making out of the salvaged barn beams.  When the client likes your work they sometimes increase their order.   I also love return business.

Sometimes you have to take a picture with a person in it to show scale

Here's some shots of the table in situ

Here's some of the stools in progress

The stools will fit under the table so they'll be protected by the cover the client says he'll have made.  They also intend to have a couple of "King and Queen" chairs for the ends.

All in all ,  a fun project. 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Magicman

Congratulations on a job well done.  I know that the customer will be proud.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sprucegum

That's a nice little patio. Your table really sets it off  8)

Misfit

Very nice work! The table really compliments the whole setting and the stools will be a great addition. 
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

SwampDonkey

:D :D

Great Job Lud!! I was gonna say from the photo, just don't let them see that and accuse you of party dancing and splitting the table. ;D I'll tell ya where that comes from. We had bought a concrete table from a casting outfit in town. Suppose to be guaranteed. Well it split in several places over 3 or 5 years and we called about it. The owner said we had a wild party and was dancing on the table to split it. Well that was his version, so forget about a guarantee. ;)

I hope the client has many fine feasts on that new table.

Stools look mighty fine to Lud.  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Coyote

Looks great! Now time to cover it with BBQ and fixins!

Lud

Took the final load of stools to the client's home this morning.

As you can see,  it was a load.  They took all 15 I'd made.  We placed them where I could get them in the pic and then under the table where they'll be out of the way.

The  clients were very happy with the project and talked about how comfortable the stools were with the carved seats.   The lady of the house spoke how she hadn't really believed something so nice could come out of salvaged barn beams and how jealous her one cousin would be when she saw it!  And she promised that her husband's next task would be to have a cover made before bad weather.

And here's me sitting at the table.  The smile on my face is because I had just received the  check which netted me just short of 4 G's for the project!

Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Ironwood

Everyone wins! They look great.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

SwampDonkey

The best part of a job is with everyone coming away happy.  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

The stools are a perfect complement!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

The pictures show that the customer got value for his $$$.  Congratulations on a job well done.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

WOW,that's a table and than some. Some people have WAY too much money. You did a great job. I'm almost surprized they did not ask for a smaller version to just put food on.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Lud on July 14, 2012, 11:18:19 AM
And here's me sitting at the table.  The smile on my face is because I had just received the  check which netted me just short of 4 G's for the project!

Lud,

So I take it you DID figure out how much to charge!  8)

Great work. The design is ideal for the setting and if they take proper care of the pieces they should last a couple of lifetimes.

Once again, great job!

Herb

T Welsh

Very Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tim

Lud

Thanks to  all for your kind comments.  I've made and sold a lot of different craft  over my life  but usually I'd build stuff as I wished and peddle it.  This thing of being asked to build something without the client knowing exactly what they were going to get was different so I learned a good bit about the process of getting to win-win.

All the advice I got here of the forum a couple of months ago was valuable.  It will help in selling future projects.

Keeping the client involved, getting them to make choices and decisions all were new to me  but it gave ownership to both parties.  The leg units with racks design is strong.  If the table top degrades in a decade outside then it could be easily replaced with new stock because of the design. Using the UHMW plastic as glides for the table and all the stools should help avoid percolation when wet.  This  ONE Time finish really does have to sit in the sun to cure.  Time will tell.

Thanks again for your kind words and helpful ideas.  Being a Forum member doesn't mean that the work we do is any easier but we don't have to do it alone.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

fat olde elf

Great work especially from a former Ford executive,,,,,Now I see why you can buy enough gasoline to drive from Ohio to Meechigun for the Pig Roast. Looking forward to seeing you there. Say your prayers....
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Lud

Stayed my whole career at one site.  Bunch of different bureaucratic, paper shuffling gigs.  Helped lots of folks understand the machine.    But Executive?  Nah, I always felt low-paid lightweight was a better description! :D

Thank You Sponsors!