iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Took my mill out of winter storage.... set it up.

Started by cutterboy, March 20, 2012, 08:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutterboy

Hi all. I am so happy! I don't saw in the winter.... I keep my mill in the barn from Thanksgiving to early spring. Well, spring is early this year so I just moved my mill (Norwood Lumbermate 2000) out of the barn and set her up.  8) 8) 8)

I pulled her out with the tractor.

Then I put two inch planks down under the feet with 4x4s on the planks.

I moved the saw head all the way forward and jacked up the back end.

Then took the tires off.

I let the back end down and leveled her off.

There she is.... all ready for the 2012 sawing season.

Time to roll a log on.

I'm so happy to be sawing logs again!  8) 8) 8) 8)     NOTE.... This cant did not come from that ugly log in the last picture.  ::) :D

Life is good,  Ralph
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Ahhhhhhh! Spring Fever! Feels good doesn't it?   8)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

zopi

what is this "winter," you speak of?

looks great!
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Magicman

Looking good cutterboy.  Now let the sawdust roll.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

Cutts,I do most of my milling in the winter[when we have one]but I'am spoiled rotten,well lit barn with radiant floor heat and real three phase power.How do you get your logs out of the woods,trailer or just drag em.? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

cutterboy

Quote from: zopi on March 20, 2012, 08:52:29 PM
what is this "winter," you speak of?

I know zopi, this has been the warmest winter I ever remember.

cutterboy

Quote from: bandmiller2 on March 20, 2012, 09:17:26 PM
Cutts,I do most of my milling in the winter[when we have one]but I'am spoiled rotten,well lit barn with radiant floor heat and real three phase power.How do you get your logs out of the woods,trailer or just drag em.? Frank C.

OMG! You saw lumber in a barn with heat? :o Not just a wood stove in the corner, but radiant floor heat? :o :o WOW! Now that is nice. Good for you Frank.

Oh, I carry my logs out of the woods.

customsawyer

Cutterboy I think it is time to get the mill out and saw. ;D I have been thinking about putting my mill up for the summer. :D July through mid Sept. is pretty rough down here.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Were those scaly logs shagbark hickory?  Down here in my part of the country, hickory is a cuss word  :).

Good going on the mill!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on March 20, 2012, 10:02:44 PM
Were those scaly logs shagbark hickory?  Down here in my part of the country, hickory is a cuss word  :).

Good going on the mill!

I thought it was White Oak.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

cutterboy

Yes, shagbark hickory. This is the first time I've sawed hickory and I understand why it's a cuss word. The wood is as hard as cement, it is very slow going, and the blades dull quickly. Then there is the DanG bark! It.s hard like wood, sticks out every where, catches the blade, breaks off in long strips..... I'm always stepping on it and picking up the peices to get it out of the way. GRRRRRR! >:(

But the wood looks nice and my Norwood is cutting straight, tho very slowly.

WDH

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on March 20, 2012, 10:06:35 PM
I thought it was White Oak.

Too scaly  :).  You still trying to get me into trouble  ???  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

cutterboy

Quote from: customsawyer on March 20, 2012, 09:58:34 PM
Cutterboy I think it is time to get the mill out and saw. ;D I have been thinking about putting my mill up for the summer. :D July through mid Sept. is pretty rough down here.

Yes customsawyer, I bet you sweat plenty down there in the summer. In summer I'll start sawing 6am till noon. I might go back out in the evening, but then again, I might not. ;D

WDH

Don't cut pecan in July.  Or hickory.  Of course, pecan is a hickory.  Sorry, I did not mean to cuss  :).

zopi

bleh...going to cut down a little pignut hickory later this week...it is going on the mill as soon as it hits the ground...prob 8/4 slabs out of it...for tool handles...I have many great old tools which no one sells the right shape of handle...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Okrafarmer

Good going on the mill!

Goodness, I thought it was a silver maple!  :o
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Okrafarmer

I will mill hickory if I ever get that swingmill I been dreaming about. Hickory is actually a high-quality wood, and you're right, Zopi, hard to beat it for handles. You do want to get good straight logs, though. I have tried milling them on the bandmill and they are rough indeed.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Okrafarmer

customsawyer

I have cut enough hickory for two life times. I had to cut 4 biguns yesterday. The things I have learned when cutting hickory is have plenty of set in your blades, (.027 +) and use lots of water. I have less trouble with shag bark then I do with the pignut. They are both as hard as carbide tipped wood pecker lips. I have learned where the name came from for the pignut. Some times when you are cutting it it smells just like a hog pen.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Chuck White

It's a good feeling when you get the mill out of storage in the Spring.

I just got my mill out of the garage last Friday and sawed 1,800 board feet of Hemlock.  8)

I felt wooped  whiteflag_smiley by the end of the day.  I'll be back at that same location this Saturday, barring any rain.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

cutterboy

Quote from: Okrafarmer on March 21, 2012, 01:55:59 AM
Cutter, what species model is your tractor?

Massey Ferguson model 20. I'm told it was built in the early 70's. My dad had it for years. He passed it (and the farm) on to me late in his life. I put some money into it and now she is a great ol work horse.

bandmiller2

That hickory is dandy stuff to keep you warm.I've tried cutting anything that looks like a log but it just sits around people just want pine or oak so thats what i cut.You need furnature makers or "woodies" to move the odd stuff. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

The only thing I like about sawing Hickory is when I finish.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

What a feeling to be sawing. Now we can say I know spring is here because cutterboy took his mill out. I only have one shag bark hickory. I say only one. I have 3 stems from one stump.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Okrafarmer

Quote from: thecfarm on March 21, 2012, 08:50:30 AM
What a feeling to be sawing. Now we can say I know spring is here because cutterboy took his mill out. I only have one shag bark hickory. I say only one. I have 3 stems from one stump.

The nuts are edible and not as hard to crack for Shagbark as for some of them. My dad has a lot of shagbarks in Kentucky, and he built a crank-screw nut cracker just for them.

cutterboy

Quote from: Magicman on March 21, 2012, 08:45:05 AM
The only thing I like about sawing Hickory is when I finish.   :-\

:D :D :D :D :D  Magic, I now know what you mean.

Magicman

Kinda like the old joke about always saying something good about the dead.  He is dead....good.

When you finish sawing Hickory,  you are finished.

fat olde elf

Nice tractor Cutterboy....I am able to saw year round in Piedmont area of NC. A little nippy in the winter (not this year) and a little warm in the summer. I am forced to keep my mill in the shade because of my meds. Found that out the hard way. I seldom disagree with WDH and MM but I have had good luck with sawing and finishing Shagbark Hickory. Yes, it will cup a little(?) while drying........Worked up 12 stair treds and installed them with my wife's blessing.  One benefit is that you don't have to worry about tapping them in place as hickory just doesn't show hammer marks or dents. (hard ?) Say your prayers.
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

WDH

Paul,

I have been awaiting to see a pic of those treads  :).

Magicman

Hickory is a very beautiful wood with the streaks, etc.  It is just my "unfavorite" to saw.  Pignut Hickory is the kind that we have, so I have never seen Shagbark Hickory.

WDH

Shagbark (there are three species) is more shade intolerant than most of the other hickories.  As a result, shagbark is the very best of the hickories to saw for lumber as it tends to self prune better and have better log form.  However, it is not found very often in the Atlantic and Gulf Coastal Plains, so you are out of luck, Magicman.  Your hickory will be mockernut and pignut, and they are more vexing.  The pecan hickories like bitternut, water hickory, and true pecan are the most unstable and the hardest to dry straight.  Plus, the powderpost beetles absolutely love any and all hickories.  It is ice cream to them.

But, there are just hard.  They don't have the bad attitude that sweetgum has.  I will take hard over a bad attitude every time  :).

Magicman

WDH

cutterboy

Quote from: Magicman on March 21, 2012, 10:38:17 PM
Hickory is a very beautiful wood with the streaks, etc. 

I agree with you Magicman.

cutterboy

It is very easy to understand why this tree was named Shagbark Hickory

Look! This log came with it's own name tag.

Magicman

That is not a sign.  That is a tramp holder. ;D

WDH

That is as fine as hickory gets.  Absolutely beautiful. 

JohnM

Quote from: Magicman on March 22, 2012, 08:50:26 PM
That is not a sign.  That is a tramp holder. ;D

A tramp stamp you might say.   ;)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Thank You Sponsors!