iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying copper beech slabs

Started by terrifictimbersllc, March 20, 2012, 03:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

Does anyone have experience drying copper beech slabs 2-3 inches thick?   Customer forwarded me  a FWW article by John Arno which says beech moves a lot, "don't try drying it at home",  and is concerned to find the best method to for drying his slabs.  I thought air drying was the gentlest and perhaps slowing it down a bit with landscape fabric on the sides or putting the slabs in a not-too-breezy place would be the best.  Any experience appreciated.    
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

beenthere

Do you have some copper beech? Any pics ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

terrifictimbersllc

No. Job to go down in a week or two. It's not my wood.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

tyb525

Whats the difference between copper beech and regular north american beech?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

metalspinner

The tree itself has reddish/purple leaves and I think is a beautiful tree.  I looked into planting one in the yard, but have not found a local nursery that carries them. That might be a sign???

I can't imagine the wood is much different from regular beech. But that's just an assumption on my part.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: tyb525 on March 20, 2012, 08:13:45 PM
Whats the difference between copper beech and regular north american beech?
different species
copper beech fagus sylvatica or european beech
american beech fagus grandifolia

tyb525

Sometimes woodworkers/magazines exaggerate things. Make it sounds like certain species just can't be dried. When in reality most native species can be dried o.k. with a few exceptions like sweetgum and flatsawn sycamore.

Beech dries just about like any other hardwood, it might cup or check if you're not lucky, but it probably won't turn into propeller blades if you sticker and cover it properly.

Stickered in a not-airtight shed, or outside with some sort of roof on the top, and something blocking the direct wind on the ends. Weight on top is a good idea too.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Okrafarmer

There is a really nice, really big one at the battlefield at Lexington, MA. We took a picture with our kids in front of it, but not sure if I can find the picture. It's outside the souvenir store, I think.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

terrifictimbersllc

Heading out to saw the beech today.

Okrafarmer

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Ludo

I was given two (2) Copper Beech trees.  They are just over 5' in diameter without any taper.  I found this old post and wondered if anyone has any new suggestions for drying 3-4" beech slabs? Terrifictimbersllc, did you ever slab the Beech?  I will be slabbing them in a few weeks.

Seaman

Ludo, Islabbed a monster beech 3in thick last year, it was from the Biltmore Estate. It has dried great, but almost every piece cracked right down the center. If I get another, I will cut slabs in half longways ( with a skillsaw) to dry, then glue back together after drying.

FRank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Ludo

Frank- 

Do you think they split because it was a Beech or did it have a defect? `

WDH

3" thick slabs of beech or oak are hard to dry without cracking and splitting.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Seaman

Ludo,I will go with WDH, cause that is the first I have done.
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

69bronco

I cut a 20" or so beech crotch this spring that had some nice spalt. I stacked it in an open ended shed and piled around 1000 lbs of elm on top of it. So far so good, I ran a fan on it through the side of the stack during an unusually wet humid stretch. I have had a mold issue with beech in the past, keeping my fingers crossed!

Thank You Sponsors!