iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm cheap

Started by hackberry jake, March 19, 2012, 06:59:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I was just thinking about ways of cutting down on how much sand paper I use. First thought was rasp, then I started wondering how they sanded before the advent of sandpaper, I got to wondering if a perfectly flat (as in milled) piece of sandstone would work for sanding table tops, or a curved piece for columns on the lathe? I guess it would have to be pretty fine sand or it would just scratch the surface up too bad. How did people sand before sandpaper?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Bandmill Bandit

Just plain old dry Sand.

It was a messy job and hard on the hands.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

hackberry jake

If that's the only option, I think I'll just stick to sandpaper.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

T Welsh

hackberry jake, Its not you jake, its the cheap sand paper that you purchase. I buy the highest quality sand paper that I can buy now and it makes a difference,at least double the life. I am currently using Norton brand and I can attest to the difference. Tim

SwampDonkey

I have to get all my stuff from Lee Valley now. The local stores just don't have anything worth snot for sand paper. That Chinese junk lasts about 30 seconds.

I use Norton and others. The Norton sheet sandpaper sure is nice and sands fast to.  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bandmill Bandit

I might be a bit opposite of cheap when it comes to sanding. I have gotten spoiled using automotive sand paper cause it just works so good. And it does seem to last alot longer then regular wood grade paper. I use my high speed automotive air sanders too. They just work so good.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

sprucebunny

Have you tried a cabinet scraper ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Lud

I agree SB,  I used a scraper today and the some 150 on some white oak.  The scraper  took off the sharp and the 150 softened the surface  that  will likely be gloved whenever  it's in contact.  Took only a few minutes and should be good for a decade or so. ;D
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

hackberry jake

I never have tried a scraper, I hear they need resharpend often and it's an art to sharpen one, so I never have jumped in and bought one. Can you use scrapers on a lathe?

Larry

Different type of scrapers.

Way back in the olden days, when industrial arts were taught in school, the scraper was one of the first tools we used.  Not much to sharpen just draw file it.  Little trick to the burr...I use an old screwdriver to finesse it.  They do take a bit to learn how to use but its all in the fingers and thumbs. :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Mooseherder

You can use steel wool on a lathe.
I don't have a lot of lathe time but it has worked good for me.

Bandmill Bandit

No never tried a scraper but will have to now. What is a good brand and who carries them?

Got a picture?

Axe Handle Hound

If you go to Lee Valley you'll see several options for scrapers and sharpeners made for them that will help alleviate any concerns about getting them sharp.  They are a fantastic option for reducing dependency on sandpaper.  In regards to sandpaper, go with a Norton, 3M, or Klingspor sandpaper product and you'll see increased longevity as others have said.  I also find that an "OC" or Open Coat sandpaper works better for me on my air dried lumber. 

Clark

Scrapers and planes are your friends.  If you don't think a plane can't smooth a rounded surface you should check out "The Hand Plane Book":

http://www.amazon.com/The-Handplane-Book-Garrett-Hack/dp/1561587125/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332215536&sr=8-1

Plus it will show you how to "sharpen" a scraper.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

CHARLIE

Quote from: hackberry jake on March 19, 2012, 06:59:04 PM
How did people sand before sandpaper?

Woodworkers used scrapers and planes before sandpaper.  3M Corporation got its start making sandpaper in 1902. They started in Two Harbors, Minnesota and then moved to Duluth, Minnesota.

Once I was in Milan, Italy on business and went to a museum on a weekend.  I remember looking at an old chest made back in the 1500s.  I was looking closely at the dovetail joinery and could see the scribe lines. I was also impressed that the lid was one wide board. Then it dawned on me that this woodworker didn't get to go buy his lumber from a mill, he started out with a log and made his own boards and smoothed them down before he could make the chest.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

jueston

Long ago my wood working teacher told me that the origins or sand paper were captains of ships who would have their crew cover a sticky leaf in sand while on shore and then use it to sand some of the wood on the ship. This kept the wood clean, and kept them busy working and not thinking about mutiny....
I have no idea if there is any truth in that.....

Mike Mills

Cabinet scrapers are great but not for a lathe.  First they are too thin and small, they also can build a lot of heat even on flatwork, and they will dull quickly.  I have heard of them being used for small touch-up type work on a lathe.  For flat work you have whatever amount of wood you push it over, for a lathe (say 10" diameter and 1,000 rpm) you have about 32,000 inches of wood per minute going past the cutting edge.

Dodgy Loner

Once you learn to use a card scraper, your sandpaper expenditures will decline by an unbelievable amount. On the white oak bed I built last month, I used 3/4 of a sheet of 180 grit on the whole bed. Every surface was first scraped to remove tearout and planer marks, and all I had to do with sandpaper was lightly scuff to blend in the surfaces and prepare for finishing.

I highly recommend the super-hard scrapers from Lee Valley. Get the set of 4. They will come to your doorstep ready to use, which will give you something to shoot for as you learn to sharpen them.

Also, for what it's worth- Sandpaper has been produced commercially for woodworkers since at least the early 1700s. Most period documents, however, indicate that it was used more for rubbing out finishes than for smoothing wood.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Burlkraft

I have that set also Dodgy and they are great.
Having sharp planer and jointer blades helps also.
I am a 3M distributor and I have grown acoustomed to the great product they make.
I quit using cheap paper and I'm pretty sure I spend less.
Why not just 1 pain free day?

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Burlkraft on March 20, 2012, 04:03:49 PM
I quit using cheap paper and I'm pretty sure I spend less.

You do, because if it's like here, the cheap stuff costs more locally than the good stuff you order. When I place an order, it's not just sand paper I'm buying. It's screws, fasteners, maybe a chisel, rasp, plane.... stuff just accumulates you know.  8) 8)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dodgy Loner

Burlkraft - you're absolutely right about cheap paper. I use Norton 3X and it's amazing how much longer it lasts and how much more quickly it works. It saves time and money!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

Walmart carries small amounts of Norton here, but I can get it 40 % cheaper at Lee Valley. They have it OEM, no cardboard packaging. You say how much you want and they put in an envelop or plastic bag.

1woodguy

Shark hide works well smooth one way rougher in reverse
And I will pass on a little tip
If your using live sharks while sanding with a helper it's better let the helper hold the front of the shark and you hold the tail
Try to have plenty of helpers if you plan on sanding much
Much better than belt sander
With a decent size shark you can sand a whole table top all at once

If your rough sanding alligator gar hide works well
Can't hardly   Imagine why my wife says i aint exactly a fountain of wisdom

Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

low_48

The only cheap alternative I can think of is for really fine grit. A piece of brown paper grocery sack is supposed to be like 600 grit. Works good for polishing finish on the lathe or flat work.

5quarter

Colonial era cabinet shops Made nearly all their tools in house, including sandpaper. traditionally they used crushed glass and could make any grit they needed. Scraping was an intergal part of surface prep, but sanding was and is a must if using wood stains. scraping compresses the wood fibers and retards stain penetration, so sanding was a crucial step in fine furniture making. I have made sanding cloth using canvas, hyde glue and crushed glass with excellent results. one caution though...do not handle the sanding surface with bare hands. it leaves micro abrasions on your fingertips that sting like crazy when you wash your hands.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!