iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tooth grinding

Started by Grower, March 19, 2012, 04:52:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grower

How important is it to grind up and along the back of the tooth when sharpening a bandsaw blade?
Its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

FeltzE

The manufactures and grinder makers will express the absolute need to profile the entire tooth. Part of the concept is to grind off microscopic cracks which if not removed will grow into blade failure cracks

The gullet of the tooth fufills an important role in the sawing process. It provides for the cleanout of of the cut filling with sawdust and air  in a perfect world.

Overfilling when the saw is over fed or the gullet is too small resulting in spillage in the sawcut (and heat) or excessive back pressure (and wavy cut)

Gullet too big or deep results in weaker tooth points and greater possibility of tooth failure.

IMO if you are just touching up a blade which is otherwise cutting well, you could lightly kiss grind the face once but not several times. You are always better off maintaining the cutting profile.

Chuck White

Any time you sharpen the face of the tooth and not the gullet and the back of the tooth, you are making the entire gullet smaller thus hampering sawdust removal.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

Grower,wile not being an ideal solution you can get by just sharpening the face of the tooth for several times.Big problem is set after a couple of sharpenings.Before I got my Cooks sharpener I used a shaped wheel on a bench grinder to sharpen my bands,with that I could not only do the face but the gullet and tooth back,just tireing and boreing.A setter can be simply made,look up some pictures of one. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Grower

Thanks for the advice Frank. We are almost ready to invest in a tooth setter, its an Australian model and can be seen in action here http://dinasaw.com.au/  While I would like a Cooks one the freight from aussie is considerably less and the model looks ok. They told me they had been making them for 20 years.
Its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

bandmiller2

Grower,we can get the Dinasaw equip over here,haven't heard anything bad about them,will sure make your sharpening easier.I would think if a fella lived remote at the end of supply lines he'd be better doing his own set and sharpen.Let us know how you like them. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!