iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting slabs on a modified LT40

Started by nas, March 18, 2012, 06:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nas

So I had a local sawyer come down and slab some big logs and Walnut crotches on his mill.  It is an old LT40 modified to cut 52"wide :o  He also has a chainsaw mill powered by 2 Stihl 880s, with which he can cut up to 68" :o  Here are some pictures, enjoy :)

Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Now, I've seen it all! GREAT PICS!  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

customsawyer

I think you need to get him to join the forum. Great pics. That thing hangs so far past the tire I think mail boxes should be scared. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

nas

CS he has actually angled the axle more so the mill trailers farther over. 
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: customsawyer on March 18, 2012, 06:12:48 PM
I think you need to get him to join the forum. Great pics. That thing hangs so far past the tire I think mail boxes should be scared. ;D

He could probably drive down a country road and trim right-of-ways.  :D

customsawyer

I didn't think it would be much of a problem. When I used to do lots of tree planting I would haul the tractor with duals on it and it stuck out both sides. ;D I think that is awesome the way he was able to extend it. I have thought of doing it several times but was always to scared to put the portaband into the mill.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

nas

It is just a 24hp Onan.  He just takes it slow.  It beats the chainsaw mill in speed and less work :D  CS this mill is old and the frame is ready to fall apart, so he tried it on a lark.  It works a lot better than he thought it would.  Every time someone puts a big log on he half hopes it breaks the mill so he has reason to buy a new one.  He also has an old super hydraulic that he will modify when that happens.  I would love to get him to join the forum, as he would have a lot to add.  There is not too much he doesn't know about woodmizers.

2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

j rock

nas, do you know what kind of blade or what he did to the blade to make that cross cut? I'ed like to try that.   .J
whats fun? making saw dust!!

pineywoods

IT's time for me to eat a little crow. I've made the statement several times that just about anything that could be done to an LT40, Ive done it. WRONG. Never even thought about that. Anything mine won't saw with a little fiddling, is just too big (read heavy) for me to handle anyway  ;D The sneaky part would be the guide roller arm.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

customsawyer

I don't think the slide arm would be that hard to change. It is just a piece of solid square metal. I would just go to the metal shop and get another piece that was longer, cut the bracket that holds the roller off and weld it back on to the new piece. Remember this is just thinking in my chair and not looking at the mill so it might take a bit more than this. ;D
www.thecustomsawyer.com

nas

Jrock it is a stock WM resaw blade that is 4' longer than the regular blade.  I think it is just a 10° blade.  The 10° blades will crosscut no problem.  I do it all the time on my LT40.  CS you are exactly right.  The only problem is that now you really have to watch your head when you walk around the mill when the blade guide is all the way out ;D

2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

pineywoods

Jake, I had to re-do a guide roller arm. Not as easy as it sounds. Mine broke off (rust) and I welded it back. the trick is getting the angle right. Mine works, but it still ain't quite right. I admire the guy and his fine work...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

customsawyer

I had no illusions about it being easy. It just sounds that way in the recliner. ;D
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Dave Shepard

There is an older LT40 about 20 minutes from here that has had that same modification for a long time. The mill used to belong to Dave Scott of Hannibal WM, before he became a WoodMizer guy. Technically, it is a straightforward fab job, you just have to fixture everything well before you start stitching it all back together.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Chuck White

Wow!!!!!

What an awsome looking machine!

He could probably get all the custom cut jobs he wants.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

That setup is putting a capital "I" in Imagination.  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

cypresskayaksllc

Did he extend the pin the head rest on for travel? How did he do that? Nice pictures
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

tyb525

How is the quality of the cut, much waviness at all?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

LOGDOG

That's just awesome. He's obviously very creative. I'd like to see more pictures from his sawing history. See if he'll join the Forum and post.

WDH

Wow!  Looking at that slab makes my back hurt  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

nas

cypress, I'm not quite sure what he does for travel.  I'll look when he leaves here tomorrow.
Ty, the cut is pretty good in clean walnut, the 50" elm had some metal in it so it was pretty bad.  We cut it extra thick so it can get planed out.
  That mill has almost 14000 hrs on it and countless miles :o

2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

LOGDOG

Ask that fella if he and his wife were featured a while back in the WoodMizer Way magazine with something like 10 million + board feet under their belts. That couple was from Ontario if I remember right.

Bibbyman

Although this wide throat Wood-Mizer was homemade, I think Wood-Mizer did make a prototype wide cut LT 40 years ago that got out into public.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

terrifictimbersllc

Would like to see closeup pix of how this was done.   What kind of reinforcement across the top?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!