iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Setting a boring machine depth stop.

Started by Jim_Rogers, March 18, 2012, 10:31:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

When I set my depth stop, I slide the boring machine over so that the threaded lead screw tip is just off to the side of my timber.

And the flat bottom of the bit is sitting down onto the surface of the timber. I call this my zero location.

And then I can measure from the bottom of the sliding carriage to the dept stop to set my mortise depth:

What I have seen a lot of beginners to timber framing do is to forget to add the housing depth to the mortise dept and set their depth stop too short. And that can be a pain later on when you have to chisel it out deeper.

As they say, don't ask me how I know.

I like to use this folding ruler to do it as it is easier for me than a tape but sometimes I do use a tape.

When you change bits sometimes you don't get the same bit chucked up at the same elevation and this can make permanent dept stop locations a pain. You really need a movable depth stop that is easy to use.

One thing Tom from Vintage tools has mentioned to me is to look at your bit, and see if there is a common spot where your chuck's set screw makes a mark. If there is one common spot you could drill a small dimple into the flat for the set screw to always fall into when chucking it up. This would help you to always chuck it at the same elevation and that may make using a depth stop easier.

I haven't tried it on any of my bits. And some bits I've seen have a dimple in the flat area already.

I think a good depth stop is a must.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jim_Rogers

To get the right depth of the mortise you have to measure the timber and see what the actual depth should be.

To do this we draw a profile of the mortise on the side of the timber with pencil making dotted lines:

Then you can measure from the bottom of the mortise to the actual surface of the timber.

In this case, I was laying out and boring a mortise for a brace. You can see the housing line and the 45° line have been drawn. Also you can see the future peg hole location.

As this timber is a 6x8 the housing line is 7 1/2" from the reference edge. And the actual timber depth is more than 8" so the housing is not just 1/2" under it is a little more.

This is why it is important to layout your mortise profile on the side of the timber to help you measure but also to help you visualize what the mortise will look like inside the timber.

I take the time to do this on just about every timber I layout to insure that it is done right.

Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers

We try to send out an eNewsletter every month with one "featured tool" for sale or some other information about tools.

This month's issue featured this new BW depth stop.

I have sold two to Jack Sobon to use on his machines.

If you'd like to get our eNewsletter send me an email with "eNewsletter" in the subject line and I'll add you to our list.

Thanks

Jim Rogers

"Proudly using a Vintage Tool"

Thank You Sponsors!