iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Welding up a Subframe for Mill

Started by skocienski, March 18, 2012, 09:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skocienski

I have two 3x5x3/8 angle 20 feet long. And a lot of pipe laying around. After leveling and pulling my diagonal on the 3/8 angle and tacking in pipe for the cross members everything looks great. Im going to take some shorter pieces of angle and box in to allow for leaf spring shackles to be mounted, and also about 6 to 8 leveling jacks will be fabbed up. The idea is to be portable and a little longer cut length, can only cut 10feet now! Will be able to cut 16 1/2 feet when done. Question do you think the angle is strong enough to take the flex going down the road? I do have two smaller axles and could make small tandem to soak up some of it. The cross members will be 2 1/2 pipe .

coastlogger

Not enough info for a good answer. consider though:angle by itself is not that strong. Lots of crosspieces will of course reduce the spans so less chance of buckling.Boxing would be the best , need more angle though.Is this to go under existing mill frame ?There would be significant strength from the double depth resulting from that.Get ahold of a builders math book or  do a google, check out section modulus for various shapes and sizes,quite enlightening. You dont have to do all the math, just compare the figures for differing shapes. ie angle versus box etc.Your 3/8 is pretty heavy stuff so thats a plus for it.
clgr
clgr

hunterbuild

My welder friend told me to bolt not weld my track I built. Said it well warp like crazy if you weld on long angle iron.

skocienski

Hunterbuild, Im not welding anything to the track that came with the mill only welding a subframe to go under the existing track so I can make it portable. The existing track that came with the mill is angle thats     2 1/2x4x1/4. So when im done with the subframe I will bolt it to the existing track and of course do some fine adjustments shimming etc.  The total vertical thickness then will be 7 1/2inches with both angles mated.

hunterbuild

I'm going to have to do the same with mine. I want to pick it up and hang it on a rack on my 18ft trailer so I can haul my skid steer and it an the same time

Al_Smith

If you stack them flange to flange it should be stiff enough .

My machinery trailer which is old but commercially made has a 4 by 6  angle iron platform with a 6 inch I beam in the center .It does flex but I've also hauled a 7.5 ton D4 Cat on it with not a problem .I don't try something foolish though like pull it a 65 MPH .35-40 gets -er-done fast enough .

wdtik

FWIW I owned a Stidham 4 horse trailer that used heavy angle for the frame.  It was a
late '60's model, it's still in use.  It used maybe 4x.375 angle for the frame pretty heavy duty trailer.
I hauled 4 horses in it many a mile. 

Thank You Sponsors!