iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

first break down with the HF mill,fixed no thanks to woodland mills

Started by hunterbuild, March 18, 2012, 01:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

Guy I was working for about 5 years ago bought a brand new Freightliner Business Class M2 single-axle truck for hauling dumpsters. Within the first week, there were at least three break-downs, including an air hose leak that shut us down at the dump for hours. Made in USA. Buy new and fix.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Tree Feller

I've bought a few HF tools, usually for one-off jobs, which is all I expect out of them. Basically, I treat them as disposable. They are built cheaply to be sold cheaply and they usually perform cheaply. There is the occassional gem that far outperforms the purchase price.

Being manufactured in China, however, is not the problem but rather the specs under which they are built. I have a shop full of Grizzly woodworking power tools...10" Cabinet Saw, 8" Jointer, 17" Band Saw, 15" Planer. They were all made in China but to Grizzly's specifications. There are, no doubt, better woodworking tools available but I doubt there is a better bargain out there.

I looked at the HF band sawmill but decided against it, primarily because of the service issue. Parts are always back-ordered and there are no HF service centers anywhere. The buyer is on their own as far as service, which was made evident in this case.

I do think it was poor form to diss Woodland Mills over what was Harbor Freight's problem.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

hunterbuild

In fairness to woodland mills,I looked at the manual tonight and they have improved the cranking system,which I think will work better. I only wish I would have the opportunity to try it out. As the current price difference stands they are a better value just for the bigger motor and possibly customer service. I just felt if you have parts to sell you should sell them.

swampbuggy

here an email I got from the manufacturer. Maybe he can help. Call him.  Swamp

We have the exclusive distributor in USA, you can contact with them directly by the following website:

Http://www.woodlandmills.ca

With best regards

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Henry Hao

Sunpower machinery Co.,LTD
Mobilephone:13061258179
Tel:86-532-86660370
Fax:86-532-86660371
Http://www.my-sunpower.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Monday, January 30, 2012 1:34 AM
Subject: Re: china saw mill

Hello Sir,

Could you tell me where are you from? In some country, we have the exclusive sales.

PS: Do you purchase our little mill to sale in store or individual using?

With best regards

Henry Hao

Sunpower machinery Co.,LTD
Mobilephone:13061258179
Tel:86-532-86660370
Fax:86-532-86660371
Http://www.my-sunpower.com

发送时间: 2012-01-30  14:30:06
收件人: henryhao2008@126.com
抄送:
主题: china saw mill
how much does your little mill cost?
If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

den

Woodland Mills FAQ
Neil & Josh designed, engineered and tested the sawmill in Canada. To keep the retail price competitive, the sawmill was sourced to a very experienced manufacturer in China. We work very closely with them to ensure we are producing a good quality and well valued sawmill.
Homelite SuperXL, 360, Super2, Stihl MS251CB-E, Sotz M-20 20lb. Monster Maul, Wallenstein BXM-42

hamish

Quote from: swampbuggy on March 18, 2012, 11:24:58 PM
We have the exclusive distributor in USA, you can contact with them directly by the following website:

Http://www.woodlandmills.ca

Exclusive..........mmmm.......so how is HF selling em them.  Regardless you have a mill thats what counts, you could have any popular model of mill and have a part fail that is not stocked or readily available by the manufacturer.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Okrafarmer

This is one of the Turner Mill's biggest redeeming features-- practically every part (other than frame, etc) is an off-the shelf component. The frame is also built of standard steel pieces too, in case you ever have to fix or modify it.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

MHineman

Quote from: hunterbuild on March 18, 2012, 07:43:19 PM
I think we might all be surprised by how many foreign parts are in made in America items. I think we have to learn to buy and fix.  :D
A different type of machine, but same concept, most if not all small tractors (read < 100 hp) are made in China.  I understand that the John Deere, Massey Fergusson, etc. American companies probably have tighter specs and quality control, but at a 2 to 3 times higher price.
  I have a 40 hp Foton tractor purchased from Rural King.  It has better features, is more versitile, and easier to operate than my dad's John Deere tractor.  But.... I am NOT going to have the dealer support that my dad has.
  That's OK for both of us.  I am very good as working on my own equipment and figuring out how everything works or what needs to be done to get it working again.  My dad is NOT good with tools, or understanding the inner working of the tractor.  We both are happy with our machines.
  BTW, I have over 1,500 hours on my tractor in 4 years and do everything from making hay to logging.  I had to replace one radiator hose and the front wheel bearings.  The latter due to the overloading I caused by moving logs that are too large.
  My dad's Massey Fergusson has about 800 hours and has been to the dealer about once a year or more every year for repairs of average $500.  I would have been able to repair it for less $, but it still had more things go wrong with less hours and easier use.
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

beenthere

MHineman
Which JD tractors do you think are made in China and sold in the US?

There is a Deere factory there, producing JD's for the China market.

Lawn and Garden tractors are produced at a factory in Horicon, WI. All of them, I believe.
There are some small compact utility in the 2000 series made in Japan, but the 3000 series (30 hp and up) and 4000 series are made in Augusta, GA. True that they have a Yanmar Diesel in many of them, and a very good one at that. Also true that there are some parts made in China.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Okrafarmer

We've had a lot of trouble with a Japanese-built Massey 1260-- it is not a heavy-duty machine, so be sure not to try to do any logging with it or heavy duty four-wheel drive loader work. You will be chagrined if you do.

Okrafarmer

Some of the John Deere utility tractors are made in India now, like the 5203, and so on, I believe. They are quite inexpensive, in line with other reputable or semi-reputable manufacturers. I do not know how they hold up, but they have been on the market for a few years now.

Okrafarmer

The John Deere 6000 series are (or were!) made in Mannheim, Germany, at a plant John Deere has owned over there since the 1950's.

zopi

Drop two chinese guys in the middle of the sahara, amd they will get rich selling each other sand, amd both of them will have successful restaurant running inside a month...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

bandmiller2

Like it or not we live in a global world.The chinese will build what their paid to build.Our industry is encombered with fed. state and local government,EPA,OSHA,not to mention unions.The quality of chinese goods will improve along with the price,until they become anouther Japan.Then lowball manufacturing will move to a different country.If you buy cheap be prepared to do your own repairs. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

GF

My brother purchased a John Deere zero turn from the local John Deere dealer.  It has the heavy z-Iron 60" deck, and on the front spindle assemblies it has made in China.

NeilB

Quote from: hunterbuild on March 18, 2012, 01:12:26 AM
Had the threads on the height adjustment fail on Thursday. Called HF of course on back order. maybe available mid April. Called woodland mills begged for the part. explained I was in the middle of a project that I had to have saw working right away. They would not sell it to me period. Made a big point about the HF was junk and designed to fail. The part is a brass worm nut on both saws. The saw come from the same factory in China and other than the motor and the lube tank are as close to the same as possible, so their not saying anything good about their saw. But my point is this was an emergency and I would help my fierce competitor out in a situation like this any day. After trying the bigger machine shops out and not having any luck I tried a small shop, West River Welding and Machine in Rapid City SD. He didn't hesitate,said it would run about $100 to cut the new nut out of steel. I might mention it was a left hand square tread cut at an odd number of treads per inch, not anything you can get off the shelve. I told him the sob story, he says Fridays are always days for need it right away. I said I could wait till next week. He said he always figures for it and can do it that day. I picked it up this morning, works perfect, should last a long time. On a side note if woodland wants to send me their brass nut I would be glad to try it out and give a fair evaluation if it is different or better than the HF part,or any other part they would like me to compare. Back to sawing tomorrow. Thanks to the small guys who do the job when you need help. Sorry if I ran on a bit.

Josh and I were surprised to read this thread. We have spent a great deal of time with the cranking system of the mill and know how critical it is. We actually even sourced lead screws and oil impregnated bushings from a company in the USA that specialized in this area for some prototyping we did. Unfortunately, we couldn't validate that our lead screw and bushing design would fit your mill. If you assembled our part in your mill and it failed, it could cause severe damage. Again, we apologize, but it was not a liability or risk we felt comfortable with. We're glad to hear you are back up and running. It sounds like you found a good solution. Happy and safe milling!

Thanks,
Neil & Josh
Woodland Mills
Neil B
Woodland Mills

JohnM

Quote from: NeilB on March 31, 2012, 01:21:25 AM
Josh and I were surprised to read this thread. We have spent a great deal of time with the cranking system of the mill and know how critical it is. We actually even sourced lead screws and oil impregnated bushings from a company in the USA that specialized in this area for some prototyping we did. Unfortunately, we couldn't validate that our lead screw and bushing design would fit your mill. If you assembled our part in your mill and it failed, it could cause severe damage. Again, we apologize, but it was not a liability or risk we felt comfortable with. We're glad to hear you are back up and running. It sounds like you found a good solution. Happy and safe milling!

Thanks,
Neil & Josh
Woodland Mills

Sounds like perfectly good reasoning to me.  Watch for those buses, Neil.  ;)

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

NeilB

Thanks for your comment John...  :D

We have sold some of our standard parts to sawyers who are building their own mills and actually just sold some blade guides to someone wanting to retrofit his Norwood mill. We try to ensure that we are comfortable with part adaptability, application, safety and intended use whenever possible. Trust me, liability insurance isn't cheap!  :D
Neil B
Woodland Mills

hunterbuild

thank you for your response. I think your design is a better set up. I was conferable in trying your parts, and think the ability to determine if it would work or not would be straightforward. My question is how would it be any difference going to a hardware store and buying a chain for a certain saw and putting it on a different saw or a bolt or any parts for that matter.

dblair

have another made out of brass or cast iron. it will gauld and then it will be a lead screw and nut
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

hunterbuild

I been pushing it like crazy on this job. So far the steel treads are working better than ever. Seems smooth all the way up and down. I have 12 blades coming from Cooks and need them now.

SPIKER

Hey Guys:

I got a email that HF has the saws on sale for 1999.99 at the moment.   was thinking about it but I dont have a lot of sawing for myself would be a buy and use and re-sell for me and not sure if that is worth the effort...

What has gone on lately with them?

mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Beavertooth

I bought from harbour freight once. That was once to many times for me.
         You get what you pay for no matter what it is.  Glad your sawing again.
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

Tree Feller

As strictly a hobbiest sawyer, I seriously considered the HF mill. In the end, I just could not get past the quality issues of many HF tools. Their name is not exactly synonymous with high quality.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Thank You Sponsors!