iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

blade life

Started by ssgerken, March 17, 2012, 07:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssgerken

Hey everyone,
I know there are many variables that come into play here, but how many board feet of 2x4's can you expect to get out of one blade before you need to re-sharpen?
thanks,
Steve

Kansas

There are too many variables in that question. Are you out in western Nebraska where the pine forests crop up? Hardwood? What kind of hardwoods, are they yard trees, green or old dried out logs? In green hardwoods, preferably not oak, maybe 600-1000 ft. Red oak you might get that. White, I doubt it. And then its also a local issue. We don't get all that much out of a blade for cottonwood. Too much silica in the log, or at least we think it is. But then we pull fairly quickly on blades and resharpen ourselves.

Magicman

It really does not matter what dimension lumber I am sawing.  I make about the same number of passes through the logs in a given time.  If a blade is still running at lunchtime, I generally go ahead and change it out.  Two blades per day is good for me and blade sharpening cost does not enter into my blade changing decision.  If they are suspect, they get pulled. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Today, I sawed right at 2,000 board feet of Hemlock.

2x4, 2x6 & 2x8, mostly 4's & 6's and only 16 8's and used 2 blades.

The last blade was still cutting good when I pulled it at the end of the day.

First one was actually changed early because the debarker was out of adjustment.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on March 17, 2012, 08:39:03 PM
It really does not matter what dimension lumber I am sawing.  I make about the same number of passes through the logs in a given time.  If a blade is still running at lunchtime, I generally go ahead and change it out.  Two blades per day is good for me and blade sharpening cost does not enter into my blade changing decision.  If they are suspect, they get pulled.

MM, how many blades do you generally take to a job?

Thanks. D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

bandmiller2

Majic is as close as your going to get,two bands a day unless you hit tramp or gritty logs. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

cypresskayaksllc

I assume the question is about bandsaw blades. How long does a circ saw last before resharp?
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

ssgerken

So getting 300 board feet cutting dirty old creosote power poles is pretty good? 

Magicman

Quote from: ssgerken on March 17, 2012, 10:31:10 PM
So getting 300 board feet cutting dirty old creosote power poles is pretty good? 
No.  I do not saw dirty creosote power poles, period.

Aside from the dirt, you have the creosote which softens as the blade passes through which then collects on the blade.  It then will tend to cause the blade to dive, etc.

Others will have issues about the chemicals, but I just do not saw it, so that doesn't affect me.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

I think that that (miss you Tom) is pretty good! 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on March 17, 2012, 08:56:47 PM

My Magic Saw Can holds 8 blades and has never been emptied.  I carry an extra box of 10 when traveling, but have yet to use any of them.

Magicman's Saw Can is a cut down garbage can. 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on March 17, 2012, 10:47:02 PM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on March 17, 2012, 08:56:47 PM

My Magic Saw Can holds 8 blades and has never been emptied.  I carry an extra box of 10 when traveling, but have yet to use any of them.

Magicman's Saw Can is a cut down garbage can.

Well shut my mouth......GOOD IDEA!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

ladylake

I used 9 resharpened blades in the last 2 days sawing 5400 bf white oak 90% 1" , most not too big.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

cypresskayaksllc

nothin is good with dirty old creosote poles
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

red oaks lumber

thursday i sawed 6100bf of creasote soaked railroad tressel d.fir used 5 blades. ( you can call me dumb) i do :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

WDH

Adventurous, maybe  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

No, I do not.  Never bet against another man's tricks or talents.   Sometimes you just gotta scratch where you itch.

I just ain't gonna itch for creosote.  Period.

red oaks lumber

no danny if you saw the stuff i am willing to do in the name of satisfing the customer ,you would call me dumb. i do :D :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Magicman

I still do not, no matter what the reason.

5quarter

ssgerken...Where in NE are you? I'm in Springfield, about 25mi SW of Omaha.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

ssgerken

5quarter... I'm about 8 miles south of York. 50 miles west of Lincoln.

bandmiller2

Cypress,you asked about a circular saw.I think most sawyers file twice a day,but cut much more in the time frame than the bandito. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!