iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

power unit for mill, would this work?

Started by lyle niemi, March 17, 2012, 07:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lyle niemi

I found this 6 cyd diesel engine, approx 90 hp. It has a pulley on it already.Just wondering if this would work to power the mill instead of having my tractor tied up. 

snowshoveler

I use a Cat power unit from 1935.
I had to put a twist in the belt but it works great.
Mine is 51 horsepower with over 200 Lbs torque. Much quieter than my tractors
which is a bonus to me.
I have a clutch lever on my side of the blade, makes for a margin of safety.
might put a throttle control there as well.
Good luck .
Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

lyle niemi

Quote from: snowshoveler on March 17, 2012, 07:25:24 PM
I use a Cat power unit from 1935.
I had to put a twist in the belt but it works great.
Mine is 51 horsepower with over 200 Lbs torque. Much quieter than my tractors
which is a bonus to me.
I have a clutch lever on my side of the blade, makes for a margin of safety.
might put a throttle control there as well.
Good luck .
Chris
Hi Chris, would you have a pic of your set up that I could look at??

snowshoveler

Hi Lyle

I don't have any pics of it but I can get some tommorow.
I should say the Missus will get them .
I will e mail them to you and perhaps you could post them here.
I can build a mill but can't post pics here.  ha ha
   Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

ALWOL

Lyle,
   That engine looks to be a very early John Deere 329 Diesel engine. Is that a 105 combine it is in? That engine should be sufficient for your mill. It runs at about 2100 rpm no-load speed. Measure the diameter of the engine pulley, and the diameter of the mandrel pulley and I can tell you if it will work with those pulleys.

Alan
There's a big difference between staying busy and making money.

lyle niemi

Quote from: snowshoveler on March 17, 2012, 07:42:01 PM
Hi Lyle

I don't have any pics of it but I can get some tommorow.
I should say the Missus will get them .
I will e mail them to you and perhaps you could post them here.
I can build a mill but can't post pics here.  ha ha
   Chris
That would be great, I had a heck of a time to figure out the picture thing here but I figured it out, only took 4 days lol.  here is my email address
mynameathotmaildotcom
Thats secret code lol Im thinkin you can figure it out

lyle niemi

Quote from: ALWOL on March 17, 2012, 07:48:11 PM
Lyle,
   That engine looks to be a very early John Deere 329 Diesel engine. Is that a 105 combine it is in? That engine should be sufficient for your mill. It runs at about 2100 rpm no-load speed. Measure the diameter of the engine pulley, and the diameter of the mandrel pulley and I can tell you if it will work with those pulleys.

Alan
Hi Alan, the motor is in a 730 combine. It was running really good when parked. I got the whole combine for zero dallars, all I got to do is drag it home. There is lots of belts and pulleys I could use to engineer up a green chain. I didnt measure the pulley on the combine, Im guessing it is about 7 inch??? the pulley on my mill is 14 inch if I remember right. That would be great if you could do the math for me once I give you the correct pully sizes 8)

snowshoveler

International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

beenthere

lyle
A 7" diam pulley will drive a 14" pulley half as fast. Ratio of the diameters, as the circumference is pi times the diameter. For each revolution of the small pulley, the large one will make half a revolution.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sealark37

You can obtain, new or used, a lever-type clutch to hook this diesel to whatever size pulley you need.  The bellhousing on your engine is a certain SAE number size.  This is determined by the diameter of the housing and the number of bolts holes it has. 

lyle niemi

Quote from: sealark37 on March 17, 2012, 08:36:42 PM
You can obtain, new or used, a lever-type clutch to hook this diesel to whatever size pulley you need.  The bellhousing on your engine is a certain SAE number size.  This is determined by the diameter of the housing and the number of bolts holes it has.
This motor has an idler pulley attached to it to engage the belt. do you think that would work alright for mill applications. I couldnt get a good pic of it.

ALWOL

Lyle,
   The seperator drive belt tensioner should be satisfactory for your mill. An over-center clutch would be nice, but as long as you already have the pulleys, mounts, tensioner, linkage, and lever from the combine you may as well use them. Sounds like you will also have to find a larger pulley for the mandrel.

Alan

lyle niemi

Quote from: ALWOL on March 17, 2012, 09:58:12 PM
   Lyle,
   The seperator drive belt tensioner should be satisfactory for your mill. An over-center clutch would be nice, but as long as you already have the pulleys, mounts, tensioner, linkage, and lever from the combine you may as well use them. Sounds like you will also have to find a larger pulley for the mandrel.

Alan
Hi Alan, I know it would be hard to figure out what pulley size I would need until I know whats on the motor, by looking at the pic what woud be your best guess I would need for the mandrel????

ALWOL

Guessing that the engine pulley is 8inch, a 25 inch mandrel pulley will give you 672 rpm at 2100 engine speed.
   If the engine pulley is 7 inch, a 22 inch mandrel pulley will give you 668 rpm at 2100 engine speed.

lyle niemi

Quote from: ALWOL on March 18, 2012, 10:35:15 AM
   Guessing that the engine pulley is 8inch, a 25 inch mandrel pulley will give you 672 rpm at 2100 engine speed.
   If the engine pulley is 7 inch, a 22 inch mandrel pulley will give you 668 rpm at 2100 engine speed.
Thanx Alan, that gives me a better idea what to look for. I will drive out to the combine with a measuring tape and get some measurments. I noticed that there is a bigger pulley on the combine that might work for the mandrel

ALWOL

Very good! My next question was going to be, what size is the primary countershaft pulley on the combine? There also will be a system of heavy roller chains and sprockets on the right hand side of the combine that is used for changing the speed of the cylinder from 390 to 1250 rpm. With enough work, these could be incorporated on your mill to provide the correct speed, and the roller chain will not slip.
   What size is your blade? If you are able to get the pulleys to provide a mandrel speed of 450 to 800 rpm, it may be possible to have the saw re-hammered to the correct speed. 800 rpm would be the absolute fastest speed that is safe to run a 52" saw, better to stay below 700.

Alan

lyle niemi

Quote from: ALWOL on March 18, 2012, 11:24:54 AM
   Very good! My next question was going to be, what size is the primary countershaft pulley on the combine? There also will be a system of heavy roller chains and sprockets on the right hand side of the combine that is used for changing the speed of the cylinder from 390 to 1250 rpm. With enough work, these could be incorporated on your mill to provide the correct speed, and the roller chain will not slip.
   What size is your blade? If you are able to get the pulleys to provide a mandrel speed of 450 to 800 rpm, it may be possible to have the saw re-hammered to the correct speed. 800 rpm would be the absolute fastest speed that is safe to run a 52" saw, better to stay below 700.

Alan
I went out to the combine and did some more measuring. The pulley on the motor is 7 inch and the big pulley is 23 inch. The flat belt is 6 inch. The 6 inch belt, is that wide enough to provide enough friction to run the mandrel??
Here is my email if you want, I might have alot of silly questions and I dont want to be a pain on this wonderful site
my name at hot mail dot com
Thanx for the help on this project....Lyle

ALWOL

It looks like that pulley from the combines primary countershaft will work fairly well. All you will have to do is remove the ring of rivets and take off the hub. Have your machinist make a new hub that fits your mandrel.
   The 6" wide belt does seem to be a little skimpy, but with the tensioner on the slack side of the belt it will stop that engine without any trouble. I have plugged those combines at the cylinder, and it would kill the engine before I could get my hand on the tensioner lever.
   The 23"x6" pulley combo will give you 639rpm at 2100 engine speed, all you will have to do is bump the engine speed up to about 2225rpm.

Alan

Thank You Sponsors!