iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rogue metal

Started by petefrom bearswamp, March 17, 2012, 05:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

I know a lot of you have remarked on this dang problem.
Today I was sawing an 8'Hemlock  log from about 40 feet up in the tree.
The log was about 9" small end.
Hit a nail about an 8 penny longitudinally, and wrecked the blade.
I still had the lower logs from this tree separate from  the rest and could find no metal in any other portion of the tree.
The nail was in the last two 2x4s that I cut, so was pretty deep.
Wrecked the $20 blade to saw 4 2x4s and 1 1x6 which i can sell for about $8.50.
My wife says that someone must have fired a nail gun up in the air to cause this.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

Nope,  not from a nail gun, but not at all unusual.

I hit this piece of T fence post driven into a log about 45' up from the log butt.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on March 17, 2012, 05:19:02 PM
Nope,  not from a nail gun, but not at all unusual.

I hit this piece of T fence post driven into a log about 45' up from the log butt.

I would love to hit something like this! It would just make my day.  :D

Did the metal detector not pick it up or did you use one???
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

I do not use a metal detector, especially 45' up a log, but if the customer wants to use it that is fine with me.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Axe Handle Hound

Maybe a tornado, or hurricane in MM's case, deposited it there?

bandmiller2

Trees grow that nail was placed many moons ago,whats worse rogue metal or tramp metal.? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: bandmiller2 on March 17, 2012, 09:22:43 PM
Trees grow that nail was placed many moons ago,whats worse rogue metal or tramp metal.? Frank C.

Any metals worse when it comes to my blades.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Quote from: Axe Handle Hound on March 17, 2012, 08:59:25 PM
Maybe a tornado, or hurricane in MM's case, deposited it there?

Oh no.  The tree was felled on a fence which drove the fence post into the log.  When the skidder hooked up, the post broke off deep inside of the tree.  Look closely at the picture and you can see the freshly torn wood fibers pointing inward beside the post.

Okrafarmer

Thanks for posting that post about the post, MM. You too, Poston.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Okrafarmer

Well maybe you could explain what the difference is, Frank!  ;D

I guess the nail in the OP  may have been from a deer stand or something like that.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Okrafarmer on March 18, 2012, 12:04:21 AM

Well maybe you could explain what the difference is, Frank!  ;D

I guess the nail in the OP  may have been from a deer stand or something like that.
Wonder if anyone ever hit a meteorite sawing?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

bandmiller2

A good meteorite would probibly buy a whole box of bands.OK a ruleing,rogue is the big stuff like majics fence post or horse shoes,tramp is the pesky stuff like nails and small screws.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

STUMPKICKER

The hardest thing I've ever hit was a flat file with new teeth....the lil' bastard.  >:(

Magicman

Well, that is about as hard as it gets.  Course, if it's harder than the band, then the results are the same.

cutterboy

I sawed through a nail that I put in the tree. Talk about dumb!  Years ago I nailed a bird house to a tree beside a field. Two years ago I cut down the tree and cut it into logs. The bird house was gone but the nail was still there and I found it..... with my saw blade. :D
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

prairieforester

I sawed awalnut out of a guy's yard That had 1000 feet in it. I got to the last 8x8 and hit a cold punch,still hadthe chrome on it. The worst part about it was the guy that cut the tree down left 3.5 feet on the stump. 
WM 2004 LT40HD

pineywoods

Even worse than metal is ceramic insulators. I threw out 2 nice logs this week because of them. Only cost me one blade tho..On one of the logs I found and extracted 3 big bridge spikes, only to hit an insulator on the next cut..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

captain_crunch

Frank
the tramp vs rouge metal explaniton was a good save Ole Buddy 8) 8) 8) 8)
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Magicman

According to Frank C's definition, this is a tramp hobo convention.

Six nails and two strands of TV antenna guy wire.

FeltzE

In order of hardness...

Ceramic insulators, masonary nails, tool steel, all other nails and wire....

I've hit them all! I gave up on the metal detector, just sharpen and move on.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum prairieforester.

Let it be known that sheetrock screws are about as hard as anything, they'll take the teeth right off of a bandsaw blade.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

You slipped by me twice prairieforester.   :-\

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)   smiley_thumbsup   Now how about an intro and telling us about your sawing interest.

Jim_Rogers

I sawed through a lag bolt yesterday on a log that the customer had pulled out all the metal on. yea right.
What's nice about lag bolts is that you can clip on your vice grips and usually turn them out. That's what I did and then I rescanned the log for more. I guess he didn't rescan because this one was right new to a hole where he pulled on out already.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

reride82

Captain, Frank and any other veteran Circular Sawmillers,

What happens when a circular saw hits smaller metal like nails, screws, etc. I would assume a t-post like Magicman hit would wipe out a circular saw, but what about the small stuff?  All these pictures of metal in logs makes me real nervous considering the cost of replacement for my blade versus a bandsaw blade.   ::)

Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Iron Mtn Scott

A pal asked me to saw up a large white oak for him. He brought the tree over to my place, I loaded it on the mill. Just before I flashed up the mill (a Lucas) I asked him about metal. "It's been in my yard for 25years he said, shouldn't have a nail, no way it's clean as a whistle!" I said I'll saw it for free 'cause your a pal, but if I hit metal, you have to pay for the repair. He watched me as I put a brand new blade on the Lucas, flashed it up and started to cut. Took the top 3" off the log, and was cutting my second board and looked down and saw the stain. Checked my teeth, 4 out of 5 carbides were chipped. Looked at the log and sure enough 2 3" long common nails and some fence wire inside. Cost him $60 to fix my blade. But I spent 1.5hrs each way to the Sawman, plus $10 in tolls + gas etc. You just can't take peoples words for metal even if they really believe it to be true. Good lesson though, I always discuss metal damage now before the 1st cut is made. Ya' just gotta!

Thank You Sponsors!