iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What would you charge?

Started by karl, February 19, 2004, 06:44:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karl

2x2x5' mixed Hdwd stakes - pointed- 3000 pces.
I was thinking $1. bdf =$1.67 + .08 banding/delivery= 1.75

Whatchathink?
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

Ron Wenrich

Sounds kinda steep to me, but if you can get it then go for it.

I can buy 2" pallet stock for 40 cents.  If I only buy 10' stock, waste is minimal.  Then, I would have to cut to length, rip, and point.  That can be done for a lot less than 60 cents.

I'd find out what the local trade is getting for that stock.  Then, figure out if you can make any money at those prices.

Landscapers use a lot of those.  That is where I'd start asking.  Look at it as market research.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

sawyerkirk

You can always come down on your price, don't be afraid to ask $1.67. I'd agree with Ron, that is a bit steep Are they full sawn 2x2 or 1-1/2x1-1/2? Chisel point or pencil? Be careful cutting stakes, it gets addictive, soon you'll be buying a new gang saw, auto pointer, fork truck, building and chipper just support your addiction. sigh...gonna be a busy summer!

Kevin_H.

Amen Kirk...Amen.

I would say send them the price as a quote on a nice letter head...call them back in a couple of days and follow up, This will be your chance to come down a little if you need too.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

karl

Thanks for the input-
My original has been amended after a quick run of a few pieces. Somewhere in my fuzzy brain I had just multiplied grade stake cost by the additional footage- in effect adding 5 times the labor- nice if you can get it.
Good tip on checking with landscapers- I was pleasantly surprised at their interest and recommendations, not a large market for the biguns, but I picked up orders for grade stakes!

You are so right SKirk- I have spent money on a mini gang set up for stakes, have a plan for a pointer, yesterday looked at a lift to replace BROKEN 9030, made up new labels and brochures, need another storage space.......know of any good 12 step programs?
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

Jeff

karl, we get .20 cents a lineal foot for pointed stakes. They are 1.5 inches by 1.5 inches actual size. So a 5 footer would fetch a buck. We sell a lot of 2 and 3 foot aspen for concrete guys. The hardwood 5 footers usually go to landscapers for tree stakes.

(we point with a pencil type pointer)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Buzz-sawyer

Jeff/Karl/Kirk
I am curious what kinda pointer you use...does it look like a giant pencil sharpenner from scool?!?!
I have seen jigs for band saws and thats it .....what do they cost and how do ya build em?????
Inquiring minds...wanna..gotta know!
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

sawyerkirk

http://www.hud-son.com/images/stake_sharpener.jpg
http://www.hud-son.com/3-101-01.JPG
We do both a pencil point and a chisel point.
I prefer the pencil point as they are quicker, we put out sharpener on an 8hp engine, stick em in pull em out, yer done. paid $650 for the cutter head, had the engine and made the guide from some scrap metal.
On our small orders to local contractors and surveyors, we get about $1.00/bf for hubs and lathes. Truckload quantities aren't quite that lucrative, but still a good use for lower grade logs.  

karl

Thanks Jeff- decided I could do them for $1.25- feel more comfortable now. 8)
I would like a pencil pointer- just hopin' to find a used one- 1400. is going to have to do a pile of stakes to pay me back. Now I do a jig on a radial arm- gonna make a saw with two skillsaw blades set at an angle to cut two sides at once-someday. ::)
I get a $1.00bf for 1x1 stakes- retailers  are getting 10. - 17.bdl- kinda wonder about that 100% markup :o

Kevin_H.

hey Karl how about telling us a little more about your gang saw set up?

We are working on getting ours set up and running, just not enough time in the day.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

karl

Gee Kevin, I'm almost  :-[ to tell you about my woodmaster planer with the ripping blades that has become my gangsaw-I had been using a 25" 5hp one in my shop but it was abusing it bad,so I bought a 12" and "dedicated"it to 1x1 stakes.  Running 5-6 blades with 7.5 hp. Blades are just big enough, and the clamps just thin enough to run 1x1.
Don't tell anybody 'bout my Mickey Mouse set up- OK? ;)
Some folks think I run a REAL business ;D

Kevin_H.

Well it works so I wouldn't say it's mickey mouse, Mine isnt even running yet.

I have a timber king edger running a 10 hp 220 single phase motor. I called timber king last week and although the edger is older it looks like I can still get the saw collars for the blades, now we just have to get power to it and figure out how many blades we can run.

By the way I dont know who I talked to at TK last week but I got lots of info, Thanks to who ever it was.

Jeff

I'll try to take some detailed photos of the pointer for you guys. Our pointer head was cast, but I am almost sure that most of you with welders coulf construct a cutter head. Its a lot like a school pencil sharpener. 2 opposing blades set in a cone atached to the shft of an electric motor.

Jeff

Better late then never I guess. Here are some pictures of our stake pointer. The last picture is of a cutter head that has been on the shelf since we bought the pointer over 15 years ago. It will point a 4 by 4 :o  (3.5 x 3.5)

karl

Thanks Jeff;
I have tried to design one of those - with NO success.
That looks like a good heavy duty unit. Simpler than the unit Hudson sells as far as the guides anyway.

NOW I have another question for you- How do you keep your nails so nice? :D :D ;D ;D (pic #2)

Kevin_H.

;D ;D ;D
Hey Karl I was going to ask the same question...About the nails...But I didnt want upset the big man... ;D

Uhh, Thanks for the pics jeff.

Buzz-sawyer

Hey Jeff I was anxious to see these pics
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Jeff

I keep my manicured nails on the end of my wifes hands.  :)  Tammy brought the camera in at break time and we took the pictures. I don't like to keep my camera at the mill. To many ways to screw it up.

sawyerkirk

I bought the cutter head from hudson ($650) and mounted it on an 5.5hp honda engine, and use a piece of 1-1/2 U channel for the guide. On short stakes, it will shake the breakfast out of you, so on anything under 3' we point 2 ends and cut in half. I tried to upload a pic of one of my pointers, but it told me the pic is to big, someone tell me how to make it smaller and I will. We run three of them now, and can do about 500/hr on them.

Jeff

There are already ten thousand posts on up loading photos. There are instructions in the knowledge base as well as a dedicated link to an instruction page under forum tools. Man, if you have missed all of those you aint reading! :)

Tom

If you are following the instructions then shoot for about 14.5KB .  15KB isn't excepted sometimes.

Thank You Sponsors!