iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Twisted "V" belts

Started by bandmiller2, March 16, 2012, 10:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Has anyone here used multiple twisted V belts to change rotation of an engine/PTO to saw arbor.The belts would have to be longer than normal,just may be a valid way to use a tractor PTO to run a right hand mill. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

shelbycharger400

the old john deere 110 lawn mower i believe did it to drive the mower deck from a horizontal shaft engine.

YES!  it can be done.  its going to take 2 or 3 pulleys and idlers to make it happen!
generally belt life is short.

ALWOL

The idea does have some merit. All it would take is a vertical jackshaft in between the drive and driven pulleys.
   Another solution may be a flat belt, as you can give them a 180 degree twist with no problems.

Alan
There's a big difference between staying busy and making money.

Cutting Edge

Simplicity used something along those lines on their PTO setup/attachments.  They used an idler in between the belts where they crossed each other to prevent the belts from rubbing....Looks odd but works well. 
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

apm

Member Sprucegum, I think, has a setup like that. He's posted pictures of it on here. Maybe a search will turn it up for you. It seemed to work fine.

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

Hilltop366

With enough guides and rollers I've seen some belts go in all directions, but it often looks like the week point of a system, would a friction tire work better or i suppose if you had a long enough shaft the tractor could be front to the mill and off to one side to allow straight belts.

Thank You Sponsors!