iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The wider drive tire

Started by lyle niemi, March 16, 2012, 08:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lyle niemi

I couldnt find a wider tire to fit the rim that was already on the mill.
I ended up getting a shaft machined to fit the tire and rim that I had. I thought that I could use an axle and just put bearings on it but the axle was tapered so that wasnt going to work.The new shaft and the bearings was about 300 bucks, I didnt think that was to bad.
As you can see the old tire was pretty thin and to change it you had to remove bearings. On this new shaft all I have to do is unbolt the tire if it needs repairing or changed. If you see anything wrong with this system please let me know

Al_Smith

That fat tire looks like the ones on my Ranger .

ALWOL

Looks good, hope it does a better job driving the pulley.

Let us know how it saw!

Alan
There's a big difference between staying busy and making money.

bandmiller2

Lyle,your pressed steel pulley is drilled,looks like at one time they had leather or rubber tire tread riveted to it  to increse traction. Prehaps if theirs still a slipage problem that could be tried. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Cutting Edge

Lyle, you could add two bolts/threaded inserts behind the pillow blocks to assist in adding pressure to help prevent the tire from slipping.  Or even help in fine tuning slip if you want have a "weak link".  Also help prevent everything from backing off over time. MHO
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

bandmiller2

Lyle,have  you tried different tire pressures,not sure which would give you the most traction soft or hard.  Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

lyle niemi

Quote from: bandmiller2 on March 17, 2012, 08:36:33 AM
Lyle,have  you tried different tire pressures,not sure which would give you the most traction soft or hard.  Frank C.
I thought of that myself, not sure which would be better. I think I will just have to play with it now and see what happens. Im gonna try sawing some of those big poplars today and see what happens. Yesterday I also raised up the hieght of the tractor to align the pto shaft and that took alot of vibration out of the mill.

thecfarm

Could you stop by a tireplace or your dump for a wider tire? They would give you a tire,if you think you need a wider one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lyle niemi

Quote from: thecfarm on March 17, 2012, 09:23:59 AM
Could you stop by a tireplace or your dump for a wider tire? They would give you a tire,if you think you need a wider one.
I went to the tire place to get the wider tire. They even mounted it on the rim for free. I must of caught them on a good day 8)

thecfarm

Dumby me.I got the pictures backwards.  :-[  Should of seen the nice shiny shaft.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!