iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homelite Zip Saw Modify?

Started by icornmfire, March 15, 2012, 11:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

icornmfire

I've got an old homelite zip saw, believe its around 77cc's. What sorts of things could I tinker with to get some more power? Porting? It runs great, was hoping to spice it up a bit. Thanks!

sawguy21

:D That old beast is a torque monster, never designed to rev. If and that is a big if you could find a way to hop it up it likely would protest by spitting parts at you.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

A Zip is an old geardrive ,collectors  saw .It's a type thing you fire up occasionally ,make a cut or two and put back on the shelf .

It will cut wood but it's slow as a snail .Fact it's so slow you can make two cuts to one with a modern trim saw .Oh I've got one but I don't use it .

thecfarm

icornmfire,welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have an old one there.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

icornmfire

Thanks for all the great replies. Guess I will let it be. It sure runs great and is fun to use. Anyone have an idea where I could get a muffler for one?

lumberjack48

My farther had one [1958] i gas it up and practiced filing the ole girl, made a few cuts with it. It was a Direct Drive saw.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Al_Smith

The original Zip had 7/16" chain which is rare as a hens' tooth to find .I'm not certain if it really had a muffler or just a spark arrester stub .I'll check mine tomorrow because I honestly  can't remember .

Clam77

:o  7/16" chain.....  that'd be a beast!! 
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

7/16" chain is more rare than 1/2" FWIW .However others have milled a new spur and changed them to .404 .

Fact I've got an old boat anchor Mall that has odd ball chain .Should I take the time to get it running I imagine I'll have to go that route myself .

Like I said old geardrives as a rule are something you get running,maybe restore them and doodle with them a couple times a year .The novelty of running them is very short lived .

Al_Smith

I had forgotten all about checking the Zip for a muffler .Took me ten minutes to find the thing but it does have a muffler of sorts .

Thank You Sponsors!