iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Onan gas mileage

Started by Bodger, March 15, 2012, 07:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bodger

Before I rebuilt the 24 Onan on my 95 WM I was able to run a good day (2000 - 2250bdf) on a tank.  Now, it takes an extra gallon or two to do the same amount.  The rebuild was only bearings, pistons, rings and gaskets...no rebore of the cylinders.  I also cleaned and "refreshed" the carb with new gaskets.  Can anybody tell me why this has changed?  Of course I have noticed the same thing when I have rebuilt a truck motor but that usually includes a cylinder rebore and I always attributed it to that.  Just trying to figure this out.
Work's fine for killing time but it's a shaky way to make a living.

ladylake

Everything is tighter, give it w while to loosen up.  Or maybe your sawing some harder wider lumber which will take more fuel.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

pineywoods

Bodger, are you running ethanol fuel?? Takes more of it to do the same amount of work...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Bodger

No, there is a store nearby that has straight gas and that's all I use.  I've put over 100 hours on the rebuild in a variety of material and it is consistently using more gas.  While I was doing the rebuild I ran a Kohler 30hp and it sipped the fuel.  I really prefer the Onan but if prices continue to climb I may pull it and put the Kohler back on.
Work's fine for killing time but it's a shaky way to make a living.

Thank You Sponsors!