iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

the old garrett leaves the shop

Started by redlaker1, March 15, 2012, 01:50:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redlaker1

well finally got the old garrett 10 out of the shop,   still needs lots of work but at least now I can get the shop back in order now that its out.   might have to put this project on hold for a bit in favour of higher priority projects.   but it was nice to drive it around in the bush around my house and make some noise

oh and for a couple bonus pictures      an old abandoned treefarmer frame that I found out in the bush last summer..    saw the pics when I was going through my files

mad murdock

Pretty cool redlaker1 8) soon you will be skidding away with that nice little machine.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

HiTech

It's always nice to see someone restoring a piece of history...keep up the good work. You will have a fine little machine when finished.

thecfarm

Was surprised to still see that much snow around that Garrett. Will be looking forward to more pictures and the skidder with some trees behind it. Winch needs work maybe? What else?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Stephen Alford

Hey Redlaker1, nice to see your garrett out and about.  :)  As for the pics of the TF C5D I believe the appropiate words would be "Jinx Jinx double Jinx ,Hex be gone, turn around Spit".   :'(
logon

deerguy

Hey Redlaker1, all I can say is WOW !!!  Makes my TJ re-furb seem like I'm workin on a newer car. That is a beauty, pls keep the pic's coming !!  A perfect project piece !!! :)
I knew she was a keeper when she told me to buy the old skidder !!!!!

redlaker1

the machine is a 1960 model as near as we could tell from talking to adam garrett.     the winch does need work thats for sure,   I engaged the pto to see if it would turn but it wouldnt turn at all.     it needs lots more work that is for sure,   needs a steering cyl,  midship needs to be bushed or linebored, I have a new chain for the transfer case on order,  as well as speedi-sleeves and seals for the transfer case.  and it needs a front crank seal, and a bunch of other little things here and there.    its nice to see a piece of history come back to life.   this thing has pulled alot of wood over the years,   I talked to the son of the man that owned it for a long time.

and yes we still have snow here,   but its on its way out with this warm weather we are having...      the ice is looking pretty rough as well.      I went out across the lake today to cut some wood on my buddies mill.    the ice road's days are numbered here I think   

the boat ramp/ice road entrance

little load of lumber

didnt see the polar bear or lisa from ice road truckers while I was out there,   they must have been too scared   haha

Taylortractornut

Can I ask what size tubing the frame of that skidder is made from.      Im wanting to build one like that since theres no old Garrets near  MS.
My overload permit starts after sunset

zopi

see, I dig those little skinny skidders like that..I don't know much about them, but I have driven one great big john deere skidder..full sized terra tires, massive diesel, claw on back...wonderful machine and fast (!) but serious overkill for fishing a few logs out of the weeds...
besides...I bet that little bugger is fun to drive!
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

redlaker1

there is just about no tube on the machine other than the arch, the canopy, and the arms for the blade..   the rest of the machine is built out of angle iron.  most of it looks like around 3-4" by 3/8ths thick.

havent driven it too much yet,  but it is a little haywire   some of that due to the play in the steering,   but it turns sharp and only needs about 7' gap to sneak through

treetech

Nice looking old girl Redlaker. You're getting along a bit better with your project than I am with mine. I took time off to build a poor mans wood processor.

zopi

seven feet! my little tractor will barely do that....a team of mules might not even make that...see? those little skidders ought to be just the ticket for selectively fishing logs out of most places..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

dwhite44

I'm jealous! I would like to restore my 1961 Garrett model 10 but I have more projects than time or money will allow. Ah, someday....

My dad bought this used back in the late 60's after his horse died. It's a member of the family.

thecfarm

dwhite44,welcome to the forum. I really like those garrets. Got any other toys?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dwhite44

Nope. That's it. My dad logged with it 'til he was disabled in the mid 70's. He was a one-man operation... just small stuff. I made some money with it while in high school. Since then it has been passed around the family. I actually bought it back from my sister and her husband. I hated to see it rusting away in their yard. Now it rusts in MY yard.

Tramp Bushler

Very nice . I wish I had a small skidder like that , something I could mobe on a tander axle car hauler trailer . . It would be perfect for lots of small jobs . . Nice ice road how thick is the ice . I've been on ice roads on the Arctic Ocean and havent seen Lisa either .
If your not wearing your hard hat when you need it. Well.

Thank You Sponsors!