iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Why is it

Started by bandmiller2, March 14, 2012, 08:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

I have a new 046 Stihl in the cellar [less than 1 hours use] but all I cut with is a doggy old husky 365 I bought for $3.50 and rebuilt.When I kick off someone is going to have a nice saw.Old saw stays in the truck all the time,its too homely for anyone to steal.Stihls not for sale. Why is it we use old stuff when we have better?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

LeeB

Because maybe the old huskey is better thanthe new stihl?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

pineywoods

I think it's because of the mizer in us. I have an old beat-up 029 stihl and a rather new stilh 390. I grab the junker most of the time cause I want to get all the good out of it before it goes in the parts pile.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

beenthere

Well, we also wear the old comfortable jeans and leave the new ones in the drawer.  ;D

But prepared for the time the old gives out.

But will admit to switching to the new MS361 even tho I liked the old 041 better (but it didn't have the chain brake or the anti-vib - just was "comfortable" ).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

T Welsh

bandmiller2, What beenthere, makes a lot of sense! we tend to use the old and comfortable first and also have a back up when the old gal gives up ;). Tim

Al_Smith

Ha with the exception of a pair of 200T's all my saws are considered old . ;)

Cutting Edge

Quote from: pineywoods on March 14, 2012, 11:16:14 AM
I think it's because of the mizer in us.

My wife calls it being "tight"  :D  In a society that throws so much away for no reason other than: a newer model, asthetics, or the "Jones" got one...a person who tries to get every usable minute from something is viewed as: cheap, old fashioned, or a "tight a$$".  Fine with me!!!!  Just means I'll get their "junk" for even less and save myself even more.

Yeah, there is alot of comfort in anything that a person comes to rely on, use often, and enjoys.  Sense of nostalgia and personal history with such objects.  I think we all subconciously playback the memories of such items...that's what gives a so-called inatimate object a "soul and personality", which in turn, help make us who we are.
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

ely

my wife says i squeek when i walk. tighter than bark on a tree,etc,  sorry, its who i am.

Thank You Sponsors!