iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ryobi AP-10 Planer blades

Started by Road Runner, March 12, 2012, 07:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Road Runner

I recently acquired a used Ryobi AP-10 planer and was told it needed new blades.  Does anyone know of a source for blades and/or sharpening service for blades.  The planer came with a manual sharpening holder which does not appear to have been used so I may just need to sharpen the old blades.  I don't have any experience sharpening planer blades so I figured it would be better to get someone in the business to sharpen the old ones if they can be saved for extras.  If they are not too difficult to sharpen myself what type of stone would I need?  Also any comments on this planer would be appreciated.         
WM LT40G25, Kubota MX5100, Husqvarna 365 & R460

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Road Runner

Thanks for the link.  I had thought about Amazon and EBay, but have never done business with either.  I guess it's time to broaden my horizons.  I'm also interested in sharpening the old ones myself or using a sharpening service so I'll have a spare set.
WM LT40G25, Kubota MX5100, Husqvarna 365 & R460

WDH

Forrest Manufacturing will sharpen planer blades.  They make and sell very high quality saw blades. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

laffs

you should be able to buy them right from ryobi. Ihave someone sharpen mine for $8 a set. mine worked vey good. I think they have a better thicker blade than the rigids and the like. should be able to sharpen those down to about 3/4 maybe less. only take off about 1/32 at a time for a good finish or half turn on the handle.

the nut that holds the pulley on the head on mine came off.  Its kind of tight so the nut and pulley didnt fall out so the nut kinda just road on the end of the shaft and ruined the threads on  both. other than that it was a great machine.
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

sawguy21

The blades should be sharpened on a bed grinder to ensure they are perfectly true. A good sharpening service should be able to handle it. New ones come as a pair but you might not like the price. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

woodmills1

I have had a royobi 10 since they first came out

first, the blade is set in a holder and the plastic thing is a blade set
works well and easier than any other planer or jointer I have had

the other thing is a sharpening gague
it also works fine if you are a tool set careful kinda guy
uses sandpaper of fine grit on glass, and a hand polish
yes I have done that also too

did you try it to see if the blades are sharp?  I am using mine this weekend to make some very thin trim for a friend who forgot that the cabinet next to the door had a pull out drawer
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

woodmills1

I will add these blades do not have to be trued due to the setting gague being indexted from the sharp edge
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

losttheplot

I have had good luck purchasing Knives from Holbren.

http://www.holbren.com
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

Thank You Sponsors!