iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Some northern oaks

Started by Al_Smith, March 12, 2012, 03:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Smith

I didn't want to skew the other oak thread too much so I started  another .First this is the  last tree I flopped early last fall .There's about a hundred foot of it on the ground ,northern white oak .

Ended up with around 60-65 feet of saw log .

It was right at 36" on the stump above the root flair .

That saw is a Mac 805 with a Mac 850 engine under the shrouding .Actually one of the last professional saws McCulloch ever built .It gets it done in grand style .

Al_Smith

This is a bigun. This thing was the victum of 90 MPH straight line winds from a tornado .Fully leafed it cracked it .

Now choice in the matter ,it was around 115 feet and 70 feet from the house .Sad to say it had to go .It was a tad over 4 feet and 272 growth rings more or less .

Al_Smith

Another .This is the bottom 16 footer side hauled to load it .

Figures around 12,000 pounds

VictorH

And here I thought the 17'  26 inch at butt, Red oak I sawed Saturday was a good sized tree.   :o :o  That is one nice looking monster.  What are your plans for it?

Al_Smith

I'll cut it into lumber .Should have been done 5-6 years ago .There will be some lose no doubt but still a lot of good stuff left in it .

I suppose all told with the oak ,hickory,ash I have piled up there's over 10,000 board feet .I probabley have 4-5000 bd ft of dead ash still standing which need to be cut .

When I get that done I have all the dead in the three acres beside of me to do .These are big ones,hundred footers .

I've got to get that mill done .

customsawyer

That is some great looking logs. Bring them on down. Danny and I will be happy to take them off of your hands. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Al_Smith

:D Well I do wish I had one of those Lt-70's for a few weeks .I could cut some lumber then .Of course I'd have to figure out how to use it first .

POSTON WIDEHEAD

There's a SHARP AXE floating around here some where. If ya need it.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

eastberkshirecustoms

Al, I'm not sure which I like more, the log or the saw. ( I probably would take either off your hands though). I grew up having to use the ol' heavy Mac's. They sure do make you a man kinda quick. They had more of a grunt and growl compared to the new stuff. I still have a twin cylinder, two man Mac sitting in the barn that I never had the pleasure to use. Makes a nice conversation piece though.

Al_Smith

That one really isn't that heavy considering it's 82 cc's .It's around or slightly over 15 pounds . A 460 Stihl is 14 pounds 6 oz .Now those are just power head weights ,the bars would weigh about the same on either .

Kind of funny about  a discussion of saw weights .One person said something about one of the 125 Macs I have being heavy .Truth be known the Homelite 2100,Mac 125 ,Stihl 084 and Husqvarna 3120 all weigh within one pound of each other .Looks are deceiving . ;)

WDH

Al,

Looks like to me that you need a sawmill  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Cutting Edge

Pretty Impressive Logs Al   :o  Not to many of those that size around here...but a few scattered.  Judging by the size you don't need a mill...or a MILL...you need a MILL . Nice Pics too!

And regarding those old Macs, AL is 110% right.  People don't believe ya till you put one "in their hands".  Yes, the looks are deceiving...both on weight and power.  Nothin but TORQUE!!
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

bandmiller2

Thats quite an oak,I've got to cut some trailer deck tomorrow wish I had some good white,best I have now is red.I like older saws seems their not in as much of a hurry as the new ones,turn slower more torque.Al if your going to handle that stuff you need to build a real heavy duty bandmill. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!