iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Issues when sawing dead Southern Yellow Pine

Started by grweldon, November 14, 2012, 10:43:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valley

Y'all are probably gonna think is is crazy but I have found that when getting pitch build up like that I just simply cut the lube off all together first time I did it was an accident ( ran out and didn't realize it ) went to refill jug and noticed all pitch was gone off Blade and belts Im guessing that it just gets hot enough to allow it to melt away been cutting wet sticky pine like that ever since dry as a bone and have done better than any lube I tried and I tried em all
Have a great day unless you have other plans !!!

Okrafarmer

So Valley, you are saying that the pitch is its own lube. Nifty.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

valley

Quote from: Okrafarmer on November 18, 2012, 10:24:22 PM
So Valley, you are saying that the pitch is its own lube. Nifty.
Not really sure all I know is it works
Have a great day unless you have other plans !!!

Jemclimber

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 15, 2012, 04:21:40 PM
Quote from: grweldon on November 15, 2012, 04:01:33 PM
WDH: I'm not what you would call an environmentalist, but I just don't like the idea of petroleum products being dispersed on the ground in my sawdust.  I suppose if I find nothing else that works, I might try it, but I think I'll try a few other things before I go that route.

If your sawing pitchy Pine.....Diesel is the the way to go. I put a cup of Diesel in my lube tank with water......sometimes......only when my blade collects an abundance of pitch. Other wise I keep a spray bottle of Diesel by my mill. When I hear the blade begin to sizzle, caused from build up, I'll spray my blade until it quietens down. You'll spill more gas at a service than you will spraying Diesel on your blade.  :)

Hey Gr, 

I'm not sure what you use in your 365, most likely petroleum product bar oil. The 365 mixes much more of this lube in your sawdust than the bandmill does. Just an FYI. Some people use vege oil in their chainsaws though, maybe this is what you feed your Husky.
lt15

Al_Smith

Well I've never milled it but can relate to it .Years back when carbide insert blades were quite costly for a hand held circular saw I spent 35 dollars for one because a standard steel blade would dull after about half dozen cuts on SYP .

Prior to I would have never guessed anything with the word pine in it could be so hard .

Magicman

I have seen individual trees/logs that were cantankerous, but those were just oddballs.  Sawing SYP is 90%+ of my sawing and probably 75% of that is dead.

The principal issues that I may encounter is "compression wood" in the butt log and knotty top logs. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

grweldon

Quote from: Magicman on November 19, 2012, 09:20:55 AM
I have seen individual trees/logs that were cantankerous, but those were just oddballs.  Sawing SYP is 90%+ of my sawing and probably 75% of that is dead.

The principal issues that I may encounter is "compression wood" in the butt log and knotty top logs.

That's good to hear!  I imagine most of what I saw for quite a while will be SYP.  I've had a few knotty top logs, but as soon as I say I haven't had many issues sawing them, I'll be humbled really quick, so I won't say that!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

bushhog920

hey if you need help with sharping i have a cooks sharpener and don't live too far. being able to sharpen and set your own really take the guess work out of sawing problems.

grweldon

Thank you Bushhog!  I will certainly take you up on that.  You are near Ramer, are you not?

Do you also have a Cook's mill?  I'd certainly like to visit and see.  You are also welcome to visit my place if you wish...

I have about 6 blades that need sharpening.  How long have you been sharpening your blades?  I can bring them down to you this weekend if that fits your plans...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

DanG

GR, it may be just me, but it looked like the smile in your avatar just got a little bit wider. :) :) :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

grweldon

Actually, If Bushhog is not busy this weekend it's about a 70-mile drive to his place.  It would be a good 1/2-day trip if you count visiting time!  It's a great time of year to get out driving in the country as well!

I really don't like that picture.  Makes me look a bit too...uh...clean maybe?  While I enjoy taking nice hot showers after a day's work, I really enjoy getting dirty a bit more!  Of course the ultra-hot shower water helps to relax the muscles that I always overwork and pay for in the morning or over the course of a few days.  I'm still recovering from two weekends ago when at some point in time (can't pinpoint) I moved my neck and back in a very wrong way!

I can only reminisce about the days when I would lift my head off the pillow and swing my legs over the side of the bed and not feel pain!

eastberkshirecustoms

Yes, but it's the pain that lets you know that you're still alive and kickin' ;)

ely

UINS is more from southern mo. and the dead pitchy pine here i could not saw without a little kerosene and bar oil mix squirted on the blade... i use about 5 squirts per ten foot cut.

grweldon

ely

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: grweldon on November 16, 2012, 07:59:31 AM

If your sawing pitchy Pine.....Diesel is the the way to go. I put a cup of Diesel in my lube tank with You'll spill more gas at a service than you will spraying Diesel on your blade.  :)

This may be true, but at a gas station, the spill is most likely on concrete.  Gasoline evaporates quickly and has very little oily component.  Diesel or Kerosene is quite oily and if mixed with sawdust can migrate.  The amounts you are speaking of are extremely small, but environmentally speaking, none is better!

When sawing extremely pitchy white pine, I've used straight diesel, no water, as my lubricant. Works like a charm. Remember, dilution is the solution to pollution ;). The tiny amount that ended up in the sawdust is of no concern to me.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

bushhog920

I live on hobbie rd north of ramer just look for the matt's motor sign 10mi from the eagle gas. would be fun to hang out, I work at hyundai in maintenance so working on sawmills pretty easy compared to cnc machines that have to be accurate down to .001". I am off wed, and thurs. then work nights this weekend so i will be home after 7am and stay up till 10am. been sharping blades for my noorwood for years gotten pretty good at it too. paid about as much for the sharpner as the mill :D

grweldon

Bushhog, we'll have to catch each other when you aren't working night shift.  I wouldn't be able to get there before 10 and I bet you'd be tired around that time.  Don't y'all switch shifts every 3 months?

I'm committed on Thursday and off Friday... can't make that work!  We will definitely get together though!  Do you typically work on Saturdays?

Thank You Sponsors!