iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

timberjack 200

Started by EricR, March 11, 2012, 06:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EricR

I have a timberjack 200.  Serial tag says 200H.  I had mentioned on here before that i was looking for a bell houseing and got some places to call,  but i cant seem to find my post anymore so i was wondering if all of you that responded could do so again.  The engine is a ford 172 gas .  I am looking to get this machine back into the woods as my operation is getting a little bigger and my international 350 tractor has a tough time on some of the terrain.  I was wondering if anyone would know the weight of this machine, and if  was comparable to a jd 440 or is it a little smaller. 

thecol

were r u from? and that bell housing may b the same as one off a ford pick up truck

lumberjack48

I bought a new TF in 1968 with the same running rear. Its a good set up, easy on gas, start in any weather, easy to get around with.
I think its a little longer then a 440 JD. I would guise it would weight about 9,000.

Try this place, i bought a few parts from them, nice guys.

http://www.sewlparts.com/

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

bushmechanic

Hello EricR personally I would look for something else to put into that machine more like a diesel.The running gear can take a lot more power than that 172 gasser.Where are you located?I have a bellhousing in the shed but it is cracked up pretty bad,came off a 172 diesel that was in my 201B.

EricR

i know it could take a bigger engine , and will consider doing something like that if i cant find the bellhousing.  but im not reallly going to be doing any long skids or huge wood.  The way i look at it is with the 172 it wont be a powerhouse, but the chance of breaking things are greatly reduced.  Im in massachusetts.  My main concern with getting a new bellhousing is if it will just crack again.  It seems to be a common problem.  I have found some bellhousings that fit the engine that have better mounts but my transmission wont mate up to them

jocco

I sent you a message nice little machine many options for repower.
You may check out but you will never leave

BOBWOOD

Hey Eric...that's very similar to my 215...where someone took out the original engine and put in a John Deere 3 cylinder diesel...179 I think...well it's quiet but not very powerful...they had to make a bell housing adaptor to fit it...also I just picked up a John Deere 4039 from a broken air compressor...it makes 67HP non-turboed...something like that might be economial to buy and operate...I just looked at another 200 series for sale this week and the original engine had been replaced with a much newer Ford diesel...Is that a #5 housing?...also what kind of IH 350 do you have?...we have a '56 350 Utility-Wheatland Special...fantastic tractor...did all my logging with it and powered the circle mill too...always made me laugh to read that "Wheatland Special" when we had her bogged down in some swamp here in NW Ontario :D...BOB

EricR

Bob my 350 is a regular utility.  Its a good little tractor.  Its got diamond plate patch where it blew a rod at some point but she still runs excellent.

I have exhausted all of my sources for finding a bellhousing so am thinking of swapping something else in.  Could anyone tell me what amount of power it could handle.  I was curious if a cummins 4bt would be too much for it.

bushmechanic

The ideal engine would be a Perkins 4.236 which was used in the 217D,or a Deutz 4 or even a 5 cylinder engine.I would stay away from the 220 Ford diesel as they were crap.I would guess that you should look for something around 60 to 70 hp that can mate with your transmission.

EricR

So i've been looking into different ideas to power this skidder.  The unit has been parked for quite some time and i dont really know the operating condition when it was parked.  I know it drove but thts about it.  So my question is  if i were to put a new powerplant in it and get it going what is the availability of other parts if i were to need them either to get it going or if i broke something in the future  (hercules winch, axles, pins+busings, Ect)  Just curious and trying to figure out if this is a worth wile project or if i should look in another direction.  im looking for a machine to work with, not sit in the garage as i have to search the globe for parts. 

bushmechanic

Hey EricR as with anything older it may be a job to get some parts and some things will be obsolete.But as a rule you can still get most parts for those machines.Aftermarket Parts in the States has a very good availibity of parts for older skidders.In Canada,Timberparts in New Brunswick has an excellent inventory of new and used parts.Talking about re-powering skidders I googled Timberjack 215 and saw an interesting re-power that was done in Quebec-they put a new Kubota 67 hp engine in an old TJ 215,I couldn't read it as it was in french but there was lots of pics.Google it for yourself and you may get an idea of what you can do. 

ga jones

the cheapest simplist repower is a 353 detroit. lots of them around came in many jacks. easy and cheap to repair. any truck or equipment bone yard has them.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Thank You Sponsors!