iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Crossing my fingers.

Started by bama20a, March 11, 2012, 10:18:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bama20a

Been reading here ever change I get(08),Wanting to get a mill for years,
I came in some money that I was not expecting,So decided it would be my sawmill money.
Anyway yesterday while out looking for a part for the ol'truck,went to a fellow that sales a few parts & lord & behold there was a sawmill there,
He is building his own house & using it to cut some of the lumber for it.
It is a timberking full Hydraulic,2 motors 28hp & a 6 hp honda for the hyd's.
Said he had a new box of Cooks blade Super sharp,That I could have what he didn't useHe's is almost done with the house(I may have to go help him ;D.He done some cutting while I was there to show me it all works.
He wants $6000.00 for it.To me that sounds like a good deal.Or is that about right price?
Thanks Mark,,,,,,,
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

Kansas

That sounds like a heck of a deal. Hydraulic mill for 6000? You might want to become his best buddy real quick.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Add him to your Christmas List.  smiley_christmas
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

Absolutely, don't lose track of this guy.

I know if many of us were in your boots, we'd be jumping on that deal.  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

eastberkshirecustoms

WOW! Cheap! Cheap! Cheap! I'd be hopping all around him like Chester on Spike. ;) "Can I Spike...Can I....?"

customdave

Sounds like you stumbled on to a heck of a deal to me!, keep your eyes on it & don't let it get away!!...

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

Nomad

If that mill is in good shape I'd stroke a check so fast the pen would scorch the paper! :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Bill Gaiche

If it was me and that is what you would like, I would make a deal with him NOW. You could offer him half the money and recieve a bill of sale with details of the sale to cover your butt. Good luck on a good deal, bg

thecfarm

Yes,offer him some money to hold it for you. just so he knows you want it. Money talks and you know the rest.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

never finished

I'd buy it and loan it to him until he finished his project. Help him all I could, it would be a good learning process.

Bill Gaiche

never finished has a very good option in my opinion. You couldnt go wrong with that. You will be learning a great skill from him in the process and making a good friend. bg

MotorSeven

Mark that's half price - of an old mill in well used shape......jump on it before he changes his mind!
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

bama20a

yep,I think you fellows are right,All though I don't know him real well,Just some dealing on car parts,But from what other people has said About him & his family I never heard one bad word about him.Also as you stated I could help him & that would be free school'ng ;D
I'm going to try to get down one day this week with some money,So as I said keeping my fingers crossed.

Larry

A bit over a year ago there was one that sold at a local auction for the same price.  But it didn't have a log loader or the trailer package.  It was stationery in a mill shed.  It looked to be a job to get it out.  The main motor had an unknown but suspected jillion hours on it...and looked it.  The motor also had custom made chrome headers on it iffen ya like that sort of thing...it was quite loud. :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

ladylake

Heck of a price on a great mill that will cut a lot of lumber fast with a couple of mods.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bama20a

Well fellows my fingers got to hurting so I went & got the mill 8),It is a 1600 timberking,
Full hyd-,While I was there he replaced the two tires on it because the ol' ones was dry rot,
We sawed a few logs on it to show me the pro's & con's on it.Although I seen very few con's ;DHis wife never did order the new blades,So he was cutting with ol' blades & that thing still did a good job,Also threw in afew more tools for it,(cant hooks)
I'm going to clean it up alittle may do some painting on it then will start making sawdust :D,
Got to order some blades. I am thinking of getting the cook's Super sharp,Will start off by cutting mostly pine,So is the 10 degree blade a good choice?
I know there has been a lot of talk on here about blades (Brands),But is the Cook's a good choice for me to start off with?
Something else,He showed me the alignment on the roller guide tilt,Noticed Cook's sale a tool for that.It bolts on the blade to check alignment.
Have any of you fellows used it & if so do you like it?
Sure hope I'm not boring ya'll,But I'm getting awful ol' to learn,So times short :DMark,,,,,

hunterbuild

I'm using the cooks on pine and having good luck with them. You got a heck of a deal. What away to start off.

redbeard

Congrats on getting the 1600 you will be very happy with it, easy to work on and heavy duty built. The guide rollers have pleanty of adjustments to get plumb, your best tool is a good torpedo level.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Chuck White

Congratulations on getting the mill!

The 10°hook is a good all-round blade.

If you ever get into lots of hardwood, you may want to take a look at some of the other hook angles.

Happy sawing.  ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Congratulations, bama20a, on the "new to you" TK.   8)

I use 10° blades on Pine.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Yes, you definitely need to go and buy a lottery ticket  ;D.  Way to go!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

MotorSeven

Hold on now....it didn't happen since I see NO PICTURES :D
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Thank You Sponsors!