iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Average Bd/Ft per hour

Started by cypresskayaksllc, March 10, 2012, 06:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cypresskayaksllc

I havent had my mill for long but I think I get about 250 bd/ft per hour working by myself. Seems like my saws always waiting for me to work faster.  :D
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

customsawyer

This is a very loaded question. A lot depends on your set up and what you are cutting. I have 2 LT70s. The one that is set up stationary with log deck, extension, lots of dead roller tables and a diesel edger I can run better than 1500 bf per hour. On the other mill I mostly do portable work so if I am able to do 500 bf per hour I am happy.
Even though these two mills are very much the same and run by the same sawyer the bf per hour is very different.
I would not recommend anyone with a sawmill to try to compete with someone else on a bf per hour. I think that quality is much more important.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Dan_Shade

if I average 200 bf/hour, i'm pretty happy.  There are lots of variables that impact production.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

pnyberg

I'm with Dan. 

With portable jobs productivity mostly depends on the customer.  What kind of milling site?  What kind of logs?  What kind of help?

When I keep track, I'm usually between 150 and 200 bdft per hour.  But I've been under 100 and well over 200 on different jobs. 

One thing I try to keep consistent, is that the customer sees that I'm working hard.

I'd say you're doing pretty well.

--Peter
No longer milling

Magicman

I have recently posted two different "road trip" saw jobs on here.  One reason was to point out the vast differences between the two jobs.  The last one took longer and I sawed half as much lumber, but both were good jobs.  Here are the links: Whack O Cypress  and More and Less Productive Jobs

Both threads got quite lengthy, but the input was informative and reflected several different sawyers viewpoints.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

cypresskayaksllc

I dont think its a loaded question. Just an average. Not in consideration of your condition of sawing. Its not a competition ;D 

Chuck White

Like has already been said, depends on a lot of variables.

Type of logs, quality of help, weather, etc.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

On my manual LT15, I am averaging a little over 100 BF/hour working mostly alone.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

customsawyer

Cypress I wasn't trying to offend. I was stating that it is loaded with lots of variables.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Brucer

Over a season, 70 BF/hour.

That includes:

• Field trips to my log supplier.
  • Talking to customers.
  • Bucking logs to length.
  • Staging logs.
  • Sawing logs.
  • Offloading timbers, slabs, and flitches.
  • Bundling slabs.
  • Feeding the edger.
  • Loading customers.
  • Doing maintenance on the mill, edger, and front-end-loader.
  • Paperwork for Forestry.
  • Dozens of other little chores that add up over the season.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

cypresskayaksllc

I wasnt offended. I know there are a lot of variables. I was just curious what others were averaging. Really it was more of a survey

zopi

Log size, quality, how ell they are arranged, how many of them there are, how much help you uave...In my case...how hard I feel like working...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

ladylake

I like the how hard I feel like working line.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

zopi

that log, will still be a log, manana...actually, I can really bust hump and crank out eight hundred or a thousand in four or five hours...pine or poplar...oak...f'rgeddaboudit. SLOW.   usually if I am mobile, I will not saw more than I can carry on the pickup in one go, along with all the crap that I haul with me.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Bandmill Bandit

There are so many variables that it is hard to put a accurate number on BF/hr.

Brucer probably has it about as close as you can get but am pretty sure his sawing time output is close to 500 or 600 an hour when you look at actual mill in the log running hours.

I know I do right around the 500 mark in 2"x6"/8" X 12'. If I am doing 1"x4"x12' flooring its at about 150 to 200bf saw in the log per hour.  I would say that ALL hours in, I average at about 50 to 60 bf and hour.   
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Okrafarmer

When I am actually at the mill, and milling, (not maintenance), I do about 100 bf an hour with a manual mill. I could do better than that with better logs, better organization, or whatever. I like to take my time and mill stuff the best way possible, and I agonize a lot about the weird logs. If I had uniform pine logs to do, I am sure I could do over 200 bf/ hr.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

customsawyer

Another big factor on production is the amount of support equipment you have. At the stationary mill I have a Cat 420DIT back-hoe loader and a Kawasaki 60Z front end loader. Both of these loaders have quick connect front ends, meaning that I can go from bucket to forks and never leave the seat. The logs are brought right to me and most of the time they are cut to length.
On the portable mill I always take my own tractor and if there is more than 2000 bf I will take a edger with me as well. All of these things add to production. Another big factor is what you are cutting. At the stationary mill I mostly cut big timbers, mainly 12"X12"X40'. These timbers add up fast as one of those timbers has 480 bf in it. I normally cut a little better than 2 timbers per hour. That is more than 960 bf/hr before you figure in the side lumber.  ;D
My BF numbers include start to finish of the job. This will include the moving of logs, lumber, slabs and even the time spent eating lunch.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

red oaks lumber

for the heck of it today i kept track of my production. this morning saw 1" 10' pine i ave. 565 bf/hr
this afternoon sawing old doug fir telephone poles, 2"x6" i ave. 432 bf/hr.
i'm glad i dont have to saw full time to keep my shop busy cause, i dont like sawing.  ;)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

WDH

Steve (Red Oaks), I sawed these this morning, so I was hot on your tail  :D.  I cut 118 ' in one hour  :-\.  I am broke and starving.  You big guys are my heroes ;D.  (Note: This was an old guy's logs that is a good friend or I would not have fooled with these logs.  The longest one was 6 feet  :)).  A man has to do what a man has to do even if he is manual....  At least I was in the "pink" for a little while, so now I know what it is like to be a Cedarman  :P.  (Note to Richard:  Your business is safe, so don't worry  :)).

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I have seen those logs before Danny, and that was the good pile.  I had to saw the others last week.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

cypresskayaksllc

118 sounds real good for those logs.

red oaks lumber

wow danny      118/hr on those. i'm impressed :)
if you saw that come on up i have alot of custom jobs that look just like those (logs) :D heck if we would of had winter that would have ended up in the wood stove. ;D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

WDH

That should have ended up in the wood stove  ;D.  But, you do what you need to do for people.

Okrafarmer

Unless I get my plans changed, which can happen quite easily, I'll be doing Ambrosia Red Maple today (ARM). I will try to keep track. I think there's only about 300 bf there and I bet it takes me at least 5 hours. But it's rough stuff. I may have to debark a lot of it (by hand) as the logs have been sitting around for over a year, and have gotten muddy. Hopefully spalting and growing better ambrosia.  ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!