iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

caulking a log house

Started by sparky1, March 10, 2012, 06:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparky1

well not sure how many of you guys and gals have log home. For those of you who do, did you caulk all the logs yourself? I just ordered a couple tubes of caulk from sascho, and bought a batteried powered caulk gun for my milwaukee tool set.  went through one tube, and it doesnt go to far.. Its gonna  be a costly and timely job im thinking.  Oh well I will get to be outside enjoying the fresh air!  8)
Shaun J

snowstorm

i have one. cedar i built it in 78. a few years ago i chinked  it. used perma chink. it takes a lot of it. i assume you are chinking it after it was built? when i built it i used a foam strip along with lots of caulking. the logs were sawn on 3 sides also tounge and grouved

sparky1

IM just gonna caulk it. I should rephrase that i have a half log siding house. not an actual full log house.  So Im hopin that just caulking it is sufficient.

The house is roughly 20 years old.  I bought it 4 years ago. I just restained it last year. Im putting all new windows in it this year. I also plan on caulking it. Trying to make it as efficient as possible.
Shaun J

snowstorm

what i did was buy what they called backer rod. round foam comes in different dia. push that into the seams first with a puddy knife it has to fit tight or it will come out. the foam is cheap so use plenty get a couple different sizes. the perma chink works real well just pricy. silicone will not work tried that waste of money

sparky1

these guys have a lifetime warranty on theirs. its Sascho Conceal.  so we will see. I put alittle more on today. The gaps are really small. most seams are tight or less than a 1/8"
Shaun J

Thank You Sponsors!