iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Porter Cable Sander

Started by Bodger, March 10, 2012, 05:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bodger

I have a couple of older PC 332 random orbit sanders that need pad replacements.  It's run about $35 - 40 each...When I bought these a few years ago they were about the best deal and really good quality.  I was just wondering if someone may have a suggestion on replacing them with something else.  I hate to spend the $$ on pads then they konk out.  I mostly run a one man shop, hire help off and on when it gets real busy.  Thanks in advance.
Work's fine for killing time but it's a shaky way to make a living.

WDH

I have used DeWalt, and the pads seem like that they are only about half that.  That is for 8 hole hook and loop for a 5" sander.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Larry

I hate spending the $$$ for Bosch pads also and there not as expensive.

Could you pick up a couple more sanders and switch to PSA discs?  That would be the cheapest if your using them a lot.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

sprucebunny

I have the Porter-Cable with hook and loop. I've used the heck out of them including sanding a 44' long boat hull several times and only had to replace the pad once. I think they work great but I haven't tried any thing else. It must be cheaper to buy a new pad than to buy a new sander !
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Bodger

These are the PSA pads.   I feel like the hook and loop sheets are too expensive.  May just replace one and keep the other for parts.  Thanks, it's good to have a place for input. 
Work's fine for killing time but it's a shaky way to make a living.

Handy Andy

If you can get a new slick pad with the holes in it, you could just put a new hook and loop sticky pad on it. Klingspor's sells the stick on hook and loop pads.  They are made to convert your sander.  Tried to get one for my Bosch, they don't sell them.  Saw where someone used their old pad on sandpaper to get it so the sticky replacements would work.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Thank You Sponsors!