iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying slabs for rustic furnature

Started by Old Forester, March 09, 2012, 06:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forester

Would like to make some rustic furniture using 2" to 4 " slabs, any ideas how to dry the slabs?  Air drying would take years, and kiln drying isn't really practicle for us and would be expensive.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

shelbycharger400

what material are you using?
how is it cut in relation to the grain/growth rings.. plain sawn, qtr sawn,  and parallel or perpendicular to a V  (crotch wood)

rule i believe is a year per inch.  my boxelder at 3 inch, 25 inch wide,  was not dry after 2 years !

notes:   Pin all cracks prior to drying!  (drill a proportionate hole to stop or stress relief the crack!!!)
mix bleach /borax and pretreat all surfaces before stickering !!!!

MHineman

I think the 1 year per inch rule was for trim or other finished uses.  I'd think a higher moisture content would be OK for rustic furniture.  The drying is more about getting the wood to a stable point.
  Any way to move more air will help, but I'd avoid more heat than you'd be comfortable being in too.
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

WDH

2" stock will dry much faster than 4" stock, and there will be a lot less splits and cracks. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Meadows Miller

Gday

For rustic furniture I just use it green off saw in both hardwood and softwood  if your wanting to fix a top to a table or such i use Bugle Screws but I use them for just about everything ;) :D :) :) heres some of the stuff we do here heartlandlogstructures.com.au Ill add I just use dry stuff for internal use but it all comes down to what its end use and what sort of construction I use Mate  ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!