iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

tk vs. wmtrying

Started by board, March 08, 2012, 07:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

board

trying to decide witch would be a better mill, was looking at the lt 28 or the tk 1400. Both are priced about the same but the tk has bigger motor and hydraulic up and down. I know alot of you like the wm, was wondering what the upside to them are. I am new at this ,I need to do a lot practicing and then someday i would like to do some custom sawing as a side job. Also witch one of the above has a better resale value,if i ever get good at it I might want to sale and go hydraulics.
paul

customsawyer

Let us know where you are at and there is likely someone close to you that you can watch the mills run.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Bibbyman

Both WM and TK will give you names and contact info of mill owners in your area that would be willing to demo their mills.

There may be a branch office in your area too.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

POSTON WIDEHEAD

My neighbor 4 miles North of me has a TK. My neighbor 3 miles South of me has a WM.

They both are good friends of mine and both let me play with their mills to help me make up my mind.
Both are good mills....but IN MY OPINION and my OPINION ONLY.....the WOODMIZER was the mill that best suited my needs for making money.

An after a little over a year, I'm glad I made this choice.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

board

i am from a little town called New Boston ill. Its about 45 miles south of davenport iowa and moline ill. thats the biggest towns i know around here.
paul

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Like Bibby said, call the mill companies and they will tell you who has a mill close by to go look at. Who knows, they may send you to South Carolina!  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Sawmill owners naturally tend to be partial to their own sawmill choice, and rightly so.  Actually putting your hands on those or similar sawmills will help you to make up your own mind.  Since the sawmill will be yours, then the decision needs to also be yours. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

zopi

All of MY favorite toys are orange....
To address the hyd or electric up/ down, I find advantage in my lt 15 manual up/ down crank...I can drop an inch, or four inches, or a qiarter inch withou lt so much as looking at the scale, and with the pointer on it...can set my next cut at a glance as well....two inches...half turn....(well, full turn on the newer ones.)

Less stuff to break too.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Jeff

Remember the forum search is your friend. This very topic has been discussed dozens of times, so you are sure to find some information in a search that might not come back up in a new discussion.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

moandrich

Woodmizer has a sale on the lt35 that makes it extremely competitive with the tk.  If I had the money that would be my choice, best resale and the ability to add hydraulics for the log handling in the future if needed.
woodmizer lt 40HD  2007
Kubota RTVX1100 2019
Kubota L3940   2009

Thank You Sponsors!