iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Sheds

Started by Bogue Chitto, March 07, 2012, 03:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farm29

I had a ? For the lt 40 owners out there after looking at a lot of pics of mill shed builds I've noticed that a lot of them show the mill setting some what close to a wall on the operator side of the mill.  I am new to milling and have been offloading and stacking lumber on the operator side .  Sense I see some of you with a wall there I was wondering what u all would say is the most effective way / place to off load and stack lumber off the mill I've been wanting to build a small shed and want to have a plan before I start I do not have drag back on the mill head
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

greglwood

I second that question about being close to wall.  Why have all the lt40 users gone quite?

barbender

If I didn't have a dragback, I would offload on the operator's side when working alone, too.
Too many irons in the fire

greglwood

Quote from: learydeere on March 11, 2012, 10:52:26 AM
Thats exactly what i did. I wanted a 26' door and a beam was around $1500 so i used 2x6's and staggered all the joints and put plywood between and added 150 locking screws and 10 tubes of liquid nails and ended up with a 8x12x26 for under $200

It's been 5 years since this post. I'm wondering how that 8x12x26 is holding up?

Kwill

Quote from: Farm29 on February 24, 2017, 07:43:18 AM

This is where I would add a lien to on to my shed when I'm able to build a sawmill shed just blue tarps for me right know
good looking cedar there. got a farm full of it here.
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Farm29

Thanks I have a decent bit here but I wish I had more especially the big ones I have been logging some recently to saw for a guy wanting to build a privacy fence hope it doesn't clean me out how far are you from Columbia mo
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

Kwill

Quote from: Farm29 on April 28, 2017, 06:38:40 PM
Thanks I have a decent bit here but I wish I had more especially the big ones I have been logging some recently to saw for a guy wanting to build a privacy fence hope it doesn't clean me out how far are you from Columbia mo
About 160 miles
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

4x4American

My lt 40 is setup under a carport.  I put wood siding on it, doors, and an addition.  And getting ready for another addition.  It's built skookum I think its 12 or 14 gauge steel.  Everyone who stops in loves it.  Cheap, heavy built, and assembled in a day.  Can't beat it. 

Here's a vidja of my workflow that may kind show the way I do it.  I drag everything back

https://youtu.be/U4YQmWWuLtM

Boy, back in my day..

BrentWV

Everyone likes pictures, so I'll add some of my shed. The first shed was too small. First sawmill was too manual.THIS STUFF IS BETTER.
Never look back,someone may be gaining on you.

thecfarm

I see some mills that are stationary. I wished I would have carried through with my plan and built over mine. Just a place to keep the head under. It's never too late. But the paint is all faded after 10 years out in the weather.  :( 
Good for you that are doing it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

woodworker9

Mine has been out in the weather for 3 years now, and it shows.  I've got to get a roof over it's head (and mine) before winter.  Inspiring thread.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

BWoody

Nice pics. 

BrentWV- is that a metal bracket for the posts you have in the ground or are the posts covered in tar?  About to start building my sawmill shed and looking for any ideas to keep cost low.  Would love to use rough cut oak covered in tar for the posts rather than have to buy treated 6"x6".  Just not sure how it would hold up.  Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks   

BrentWV

The poles are 6X6 locust coated with roofing paint cut with fuel oil. White oak will last nearly as long as locust.
Never look back,someone may be gaining on you.

paul case

Brent.

I think both of your sheds look excellent.

The first one probably helped you know what you wanted the second to be like.
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

fishfighter

Quote from: BWoody on May 03, 2017, 01:37:16 PM
Nice pics. 

BrentWV- is that a metal bracket for the posts you have in the ground or are the posts covered in tar?  About to start building my sawmill shed and looking for any ideas to keep cost low.  Would love to use rough cut oak covered in tar for the posts rather than have to buy treated 6"x6".  Just not sure how it would hold up.  Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks   

I'm building one now using oak post. I when to the local lumber company and bought some 6x6 treated post that were somewhat damaged. They were 8' long. Paid $7 each.  Cut them in half and join the oak to them.

They are set in concrete. Used 1/2" bolts to join them, 3 per post.

Oh, I did slap on some tar on the fresh cuts on the treated and oak post.

CTanner

Quote from: Peter Drouin on March 07, 2012, 07:16:32 PM

maybe make one like this :) :)

24x60   ;D
Peter Drouin, Any more pics of the sawmill shed with the new addition that you were talking about earlier in the thread?  How big is the tool shed attached to the back?  Making a sawmill shed and looking to use some of your ideas (use =steal).  Thanks for any help you can provide.  Also, any changes or additions that you would make now that you have been using it for quite a while?

Bruno of NH

Look in his thread 
An other day at the sawmill lots of pictures 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bruno of NH

Sorry
A day cutting wood thread
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

CTanner

rjwoelk

This is mine just to have a roof over it.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

red

Very Good Information here on sawmill sheds 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Cornerstone

Yes indeed Red, thanks for brining it to my attention. I'm really liking the way Peter Druin designed his with a steel header to allow such a long span, but it's covered from the outside to look like wood. Also WDH's shed with extra room for wood storage. I may try to combine the 2 designs somehow.
Case 580SK backhoe, New Holland L228 skid steer, Kubota 900rtv, Home made band mill, 1968 Chevy C50 Dump Truck, 1972 C10, 2009 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 dually, all sorts of motorcycles.
Ephesians 3: 17-21

Kenb68

Here's mine when it was 1st set up. Looks a little different now. Since I've added interior wood walls and shelfs. Didn't have time to build my own as we have our house build going on. It was built in a day for 8k.

Cornerstone

Quote from: Kenb68 on June 22, 2023, 05:52:30 AMIt was built in a day for 8k
Looks great! I'm guessing the opening is 16' tall, based on the R panel on the sides. (each rib is 1' apart)
Case 580SK backhoe, New Holland L228 skid steer, Kubota 900rtv, Home made band mill, 1968 Chevy C50 Dump Truck, 1972 C10, 2009 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 dually, all sorts of motorcycles.
Ephesians 3: 17-21

Kenb68

Thank You Sponsors!