iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

virginia pine

Started by MDLogging, March 07, 2012, 10:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDLogging

Is pulpwood the only market for virginia pine around maryland or anywhere?  I used to always mix it a few in with loblolly to send to the mill but they' ve completely put a stop to that now.  I'm talking about 30 to 40 ft long completely straight with a 12" top.  Some of the prettiest va pine i've cut in a long while.   Just wondering?

MDLogging

Heres some that are over 19".  I have to send those to another chip mill that can handle em

MDLogging

Just a minute im still trying to upload a photo

beenthere

Here is a helpful tutorial put together by a very studious member, to pass on to you.
Here are some instructions for uploading and posting pics.

It looks like a lot, but really isn't, you only need to make an album one time. After that it's up to you if you want to make more albums and keep your pics sorted.

If you have any trouble along the way, feel free to drop me a message with what your problem is and I'll find a way to help you. The instructions are general instructions and things may be a bit different because of the software you are using.
You may also be able to skip ahead a little if you are good with computers, I typed this up to cover a broad base of users.

----------------------------------------------------------
To create a gallery/album:

Click the "gallery" button at the top of the page or above the sponsors list on the left side of the page.
That will take you to the gallery home page.

Under the caption "Forestry Forum Gallery", click "upload file".

You will see an error message, click the "create/order my albums" button in that message.

Now find the "new album" button and click it.

Type in a name for your album and click "ok".

You now have a gallery with an album in it, you can add more albums if you like.

---------------------------------------------------
Uploading pics:

Once you have an album, you can upload pics by clicking the "upload file" button in your gallery.

You'll need to pick an album that you want your pics to go into. Then just below that click the "browse" button.
That will allow you to locate the pics on your computer.
Once you have located the pic on your computer that you want to upload, you'll need to click it and then click "open".
The pic will upload automatically and you can either upload more pics or click the "continue" button.

After you click the "continue" button, you'll be in your album and you can add a title for your pics and a discription if you'd like.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Posting pics:

When making a post, under the post box you should see "Click here to add Photos to post" click that and a new window will open with the upload page. You can either upload a pic as posted above or locate a pic in your gallery to post by clicking on "My Gallery" along the top.

That will show all your albums and you can find the pic you want to post from there.
When you find the pic you want to post, click it and it will open a bit bigger.
You should see an information box under the pic.

Look for the "Insert image in post" button and click it. The code for the image will be inserted into your post.

Go back to your post and click the "preview" button and you should see what your post will look like.
You can add more pics following the same steps.

When you have the post the way you want, make sure to click the "post" button.
Thanks Furby
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lumberjack48

I would thing these would make cabin logs.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

WDH

Virginia pine does not have the strength of other Southern pines, and cannot be mixed with loblolly, shortleaf, slash, or longleaf pine for framing lumber.  It has to have a special grade.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

:o

I didn't think Virginia pine got that big! Supposedly we have it here, but we have the shortleaf pine, and our local pine mill prizes shortleaf pine over loblolly, its primary local competitor. Nobody seems to ever talk about virginia pine here, but I thought from looking in the books that VP was a scrubbier, crookeder poor relation to shortleaf. Guess I'm learning something... How can you tell the two apart? They both have short needles.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

SwampDonkey

What I saw of Virginia pine reminded me of jack pine up here. I don't know it's strengths as framing material , but I do know that plantation jack pine is not as nice at wild jack pine that regenerates naturally and thick. The plantation stuff is limby and crooked as a rams horn. The pulp companies have planted a lot in southern New Brunswick. I've seen old burns up north in natural stands and someone had a brain fart and planted black spruce on it. You couldn't find the spruce for all the released pine seedlings, thousands per square yard. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Okra (just for the record),

Virginia pine has needle bundles (fasicles) in two's.  The needles are strongly twisted.  Shortleaf has fasicles of two's and three's and the needles are only weakly twisted, if at all.  Virginia pine bark is noticeably scaly, shortleaf is not.  Shortleaf pine bark has little dimples called pitch pockets.  Looks like circles about the size of the end of a ball point pen.  No other pine has these.  The cones are also different.  The interior of the umbo (cone scale where the seed sits) of virginia pine is purple, and there is a significant contrast with the tip.  On, shortleaf the inner side of the umbo is dull brown and is the same color as tip of the cone scale.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

That's what I was thinking, SD. I did not think I would ever have any trouble mistaking Virginia Pine for a sawlog tree, but what do I know? The shortleaf pines make real good lumber.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

WDH

Old growth virginia pine can have clear logs, but they do have to be old.  The bark is so scaly that you can spot them from a long ways off.

Okrafarmer

Well the pines we have here have scaly bark, but are not twisted needles. I have never seen the pitch pockets. I am familiar with pitch pockets on balsam fir, which is one of the default trees in the area I grew up in. I will have to check on the needles numbers. But if what we have here is Virginia pine, then that would contrast strongly with the original post regarding its use for lumber. These are nice straight strong pines whose profile often resembles a palm-- long tall trunk with a round bunch of branches on top. And we have loblollies, too. Their needles are longer.

WDH

When I say scaly, I mean real scaly.  Cherry bark scaly.  There is an orangish color between the scales.

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=113

Okrafarmer

That looks like the ones we have. So I was wrong about the species. They take them for saw logs here.

SwampDonkey

Quite similar to jack. The forest grown jacks as I said are quite often sawlog quality and I have never seen plantation jack look like much, too limby. Only one company here buys jack pine logs and that's Irving down at Chipman and Sussex areas. They've got it planted all over the country.

Mother and I planted some down by the creek at grandmother's about 23 years ago and they are beginning to prune up and are a lot nicer looking than most I see planted. Planted them tight.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Okrafarmer

Here are our pines.

WDH

Little bitty needles, little bitty cones, and orangish scaly bark.  That is her.

Phorester

A mature VA pine also has hundreds of those little golf ball-sized cones in the top.  VA pine is also a poor natural pruner.  The lower limbs die from suppression as do the lower limbs on other trees, but they don't fall off.  You can see this trait in Okrafarmer's pictures. Both of these traits help in identifying it. These dead limbs produce loose knots, which then fall out when a VA pine log is sawn into lumber.  This occurs even in the big, older trees which finally lost those lower limbs decades ago and the bark covered over the knots so you can't see them.  That's why VA pine is not very valuable, even the big ones.

Finally, VA pine is shallow rooted.  You can't thin a pure stand since the trees left in the thinning would just blow down 5 - 10 years later. The standard management recommendation here with a pure stand of VA pine is to let it grow until it's big enough to sell for pulpwood, then convert it to a better tree by clearcutting and replanting with something else.

Okrafarmer

Well our local pine mill likes them very well, and would rather have them than loblolly. I don't know why. Loblolly looks like a more handsome tree.

So I guess these are Virginia pine, and I don't know if I've ever seen a shortleaf then. I've never seen a pine around here that had pitch pockets. Supposedly we are well within the range of shortleaf, but I will keep my eye out for a different kind. Virginia, Loblolly, and White pines are what we have here. Maybe an occasional Longleaf.

WDH

Shortleaf pine needles are about 1/2 the length of loblolly, and the cones are much smaller than loblolly.  I am sure that you have it around there.

Okrafarmer

Those VP's I showed you are the only short-needle bearing variety I am familiar with here. I have not seen any of the ones with the pitch pockets.

WDH

The pitch pockets are small and unobtrusive.

Okrafarmer

So what does the bark look like on a shortleaf? How can you tell a shortleaf from a virginia, especially if you can't get at the needles?

WDH

Shortleaf looks like loblolly.  Platy, not scaly.  The needles are just a lot shorter and the cones are 1/4th the size of loblolly.

Okrafarmer

Ok, I will keep watching for it.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!